Bravo Sold. No longer a Moniac.

johnggreen

Gentlemen,

Today, I watched my beloved Bravo fly off into the wild blue yonder.  Actually today it was kind of the cloudy, gray yonder.

I announced my coming need for a larger, probably twin aircraft, that was looming.  That was over a year ago and the time came.  I advertised the Bravo and sold in two days to the first caller.  The gentlemen, actually there were two, had been in the Bravo market and were well versed.  They actually sent a fellow to inspect, take a test flight, and about 200 pictures.

The maintenance and care on my airplane was unparalleled and it showed.  They didn't even do a prebuy and didn't dicker on price, so as a good will gesture, I had my mechanic, who had taken care of the airplane for 8 years, do a fresh annual.  Actually, I knew of two minor items that the buyer didn't even catch and I wanted to deliver them a squawk free airplane.

Now, i'm in the hunt for a twin.  It is truly a buyers market, but I will always miss the Bravo.  I can honestly say that I had become more attached to it than any of the other 32 aircraft I have ever owned.

It was fun.  Ya'll fly safe now.

Jgreen

• Like 2

Good luck on the new bird! You will probably miss the fuel burn the most. ;)

People always seem to move on from a Mooney, but reminisce about them most. I have never heard a bad thing from an "ex" owner... ever.

Best of luck, and please come back for a follow-up after you have purchased #34!  Pics are required too, of course.   :D

I know of a couple Mooney owners that have gone on to Twin Bonanzas, and one with an Excalibur conversion (twin IO-720s!).  Lots of room and good speed.

Thanks to all for the kind words and encouragement.  I have compiled a three ring notebook of possible purchases.  It is a good time to be a twin buyer.  It is amazing and disappointing at how long many/most of the airplanes have been on the market; two years is not at all unusual and some much longer.  The problem is actually finding one that has been at least semi-actively flown and maintained.  If you find a twin with nothing in the log books but annuals, you are wise to move to the next.

It is also amazing how many are listed at absolutely "pie in the sky prices".  I'm not saying that airplane owners are dumb, but their intelligence is sometimes overshadowed by their optimism.  I just looked up a Cessna 340 that has been listed for over 700 days at the same price, which is almost double VREF or Bluebook.  What is the point?

The good thing about the aviation market in 2012, is that there is no reason for anyone to be an uninformed buyer.  The internet is ripe with information on models of airplanes, accident statistics, market history, etc.

By the way, I'm not looking at 340's or any pressurized aircraft for that matter.  I just don't want the maintenance headaches that come with that type of aircraft.  I guess I'm a little spoiled by the Bravo.

Did I mention that the buyers, two fellows who partnered, were from Moscow?  Yes, as in Russia.  They are going to keep the Bravo somewhere near New York where they both keep apartments and use it to fly around the country.

The world, she sure is a=changing!

For the curious, my purchase, with an 80% probability, will be a Baron; runner up 310.

For those of you who like me, don't worry, I will check Mooneyspace everyday.  For those of you who don't like me.  Tough ****.

Jgreen

• 2 weeks later...

Carusoam,

Yes, in fact I did that "back when"  I bought the Bravo.  It is a common mis-conception that you can fly a turbine with "not much more maintenance.  Tain't so my friend.  They all now have stage inspections that can break the back of a rich man. I wouldn't have a chance.  For instance, I personally know a guy nearby who runs a small shop and specializes in keeping up turbine equipment.  He is much cheaper than the big city boys.  According to him, five + years ago, the stage inspections that he was doing on 90 King Airs, if nothing was wrong, ran about $75,000/annum.

Even with the single turbines, the engine reserve for a Meridian is about $55/hr plus hot section reserve which comes at mid TBO.  If something does break, as rare as that is, the resulting cost can be staggering.  

I'm afraid the turbines are, and will remain, out of my reach unless I want to forego a lot of other pleasant things in life.

At this point, I'm actively pursuing a Navajo and a T310.  I will probably sign a contract, subject to a pre-buy, this week.  I'll keep you all informed.

And yes, I miss the Bravo.

Jgreen

• Like 1

John,

I've always thought a jet or turbine could be affordable. But, what you point out is what I see each time. I have a dream...

I'll still be happy with what I've got. The percentage of privately owned and flown turbines must be incredably small.

Unfortunately, you are making good sense and the truth hurts!

I still read the turbine section of the AOPA magazine, this month, a small 600shp, GE branded turbine. They are an optimistic bunch!

Best regards,

-a-

Good Luck John.

If I ever decided to make a move it would likely be to a Baron as well. I flew one quite a bit way back in my instructing days, a Colemill Conversion 55 I belive it was...and Oh baby, what a ride!... It'll look just a sexy struting across the ramp as the Bravo does too!  Brian

At this point, I'm actively pursuing a Navajo and a T310.  I will probably sign a contract, subject to a pre-buy, this week.  I'll keep you all informed.

And yes, I miss the Bravo.

Jgreen

I vote Navajo. While the 310 is sexy looking, the Navajo has nice big windows you and the family can actually see out of. I really like Navajos for this reason. Good luck with either!

I'd definitely give the Aerostar a look too.  One of our members here (Norman, aka testwest) has a J and an Aerostar that he calls a Twin Mooney, as in the Ted Smith design philosophy is very similar to Mooney's.  Turbo-normalized, very fast and efficient, or at least as efficient as any twin can be.  It might be worthy of consideration.  

Of course you can't go wrong with a Baron or 310 either...and both are cheap to buy these days.

I did look over the fact that 'non-pressurized' was part of the parameters...but wouldn't it be nice to get rid off the rubber jungle?.., except for emergencies that is.

A nice 601P or a Superstar 700...zoom, zoom! Brian

There were earlier models before Piper bought them I believe that were non-pressurized too, and substantially cheaper to operate. 

Well John good luck with the new bird...kinda opposite for me...I traded in a Baron for a Bravo....six seats were nice but my d55 didnt have near the equipment my current Bravo does...and I really only need two seats now...and that Baron was a real B#### to uncowl!!!!and there was two of them...

Good morning,

Just checking in, hope all Mooneys are flying well.  Just spent a week in Outer Banks at a wedding and feel somewhat refreshed.

As for the Bravo replacement, shopping for an airplane in a market where your only choices average 35-40 years old is one heck of a challenge and more than a little exasperating.  I can assure you though, it is no time to get in a hurry.  I will make the observation that the twin market is in shambles but that, in a way, only makes it more difficult to find an good airplane at a fair price.  My opinion, we are seeing one of the greatest erosions of value in a market segment that I have ever witnessed.  A very high percentage of twins are sitting, unused, maintained with pencil annuals, and offered at prices the market would not have supported four years ago.

Good news is that i will be picking the Skylane up from the paint shop today.  They did a beautiful, meticulous, job.  If you want to see it, from striip & prep to finished product, got to www.sunshineaviation.com.  Click on "our work" under "paint" and tab down.  You will find about 30 pics of N1292M to peruse.  I highly recommend them!!!

Jgreen

I will make the observation that the twin market is in shambles but that, in a way, only makes it more difficult to find an good airplane at a fair price.  My opinion, we are seeing one of the greatest erosions of value in a market segment that I have ever witnessed.  A very high percentage of twins are sitting, unused, maintained with pencil annuals, and offered at prices the market would not have supported four years ago.

You probably have to pay a hefty premium to get a plane that's been flying at least 70 hours per year and has had some real maintenance.

Many of these twins will never sell...

• 3 weeks later...

Info for my Ole Buds,

Pre-purchase and squawk list being performed now on my 1979 Aerostar 601P.  On the demo flight last week, we were climbing out at 160 knots indicated at 1,500 fpm.  Then, at 9,500', 75% power, we were truing 224 KTAS.  That's faster than book by some, but we were light and the airplane has Machen intercoolers.

I'll check back in after the required ground school and flight training.  This baby is not for the faint of heart !!

Jgreen

OK, I'll  post some pics in about a week; about the time I schedule the delivery to the paint shop.  It needs paint, but all the other vitals are good, TT, SMOH, SPOH, Avionics, etc.  I've been trying to come up with a paint job that looks as good as a newer Ovation or Acclaim; not easy.  The Aerostar is just a long cylinder with a tall tail and mid fuselage mounted wings; hard to design a really good scheme around.

An Aerostar is kind of like having your cake (Bravo) and eating it too!!!  Just not as economical.

Most of you fellows would find the POH and operating manuals fascinating reading.  The systems are not really complicated, just unique.   In that respect, the airplane is very much like a Mooney.  I always tell people that there is nothing wrong with the way a Mooney flies, it just doesn't fly like a Cessna.

Give me a couple of weeks for pics but they won't really show how bad the paint is.  Maybe I'm being a little too critical, it's not really THAT bad.  I am looking forward to posting the "after" pics when it comes out of the paint shop though.  This way I get to choose my own N number which will be my wife's birthday and initials if that is available.  Hey, I better go to the FAA site and reserve that number now !!

Jgreen

I've been trying to come up with a paint job that looks as good as a newer Ovation or Acclaim; not easy.  The Aerostar is just a long cylinder with a tall tail and mid fuselage mounted wings; hard to design a really good scheme around.

Simple but elegant:

profile.jpg