EI MVP-50P Install

JetSet1967

I had it installed. I did not do the work myself. The airplane had a JPI 700 with FF in it prior and I really didn't care for it at all, so I like it much better than that. As to be expected. My only experience with the JPI 930 that is more comparable, is from playing with both demo units at an AOPA Summit. I much prefer the simplicity of the EI operating system and design over the JPI. It's a little like PC vs. Apple. The only thing I liked better on the JPI was the remote RPM read out you can get. I thought at the time that this would be useful. In the end I find it is really not needed.

Most people seem to buy and recommend JPI because they are the biggest and most well known. I think the MVP-50 gets sold short in the press and by the pilot community. The same may be true for the AuRACLE CRM-2100 unit, I don't know, but they didn't even bother to show up at the AOPA Summit, so I didn't consider them. I won't pay big bucks to have something installed if I can't play with it first.

If you search the forum, you will see that Dave has a really nice write up on the MVI-50P. I am planning a panel  upgrade this spring and I looked at the MVI-50P, the Auracle CRM- 2100, and the JPI 930.  I have decided to go with the MVI-50P because of: How configurable it is to incorporate status other aircraft systems, I can keep most of the wires out of the cockpit, Dave's write up,  how I can interface it with other aircraft systems, the new magnetic fuel probe options, and how patient/helpful their tech support staff has been with me answering questions during my decision process.

I called JPI's tech support and I felt like I was a bother to them.  Wondered what would happen if I had a real problem. 

I would figure out what you want to do, make a list of the things that are a must have and along with the things that are a nice to have, and start working on your concept of how you want it to work in your aircraft.  Then see which unit meets your objectives.