Insight GEM Upgrade

Marauder

Howdy, I am a new member here and an owner of a 1975 M20F since 1991 (has it really been 21 years?!). I am in the middle of a major avionics upgrade and I am evaluating everything in the panel to decide whether to keep, update or remove. I noticed Insight is offering an upgrade path for existing owners ($1k core applied to a new unit). The replacement cost is still steep (I think street prices would still be over $2k). \

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone has done this upgrade and if so, do you feel the investment was worth it? Could you also tell me what you upgraded to? I have (I think) the original 601 (no digital numbers, just bars).

BTW -- here is what my poor baby looks like as of late last week...

IMG00045-20121017-1459.jpg

I've upgraded to G1 at engine overhaul and could not be happier. You can see the whole picture at glance and for less than 1400 bucks I got a new display and a new set of probes. Installations was just a simple swap but we needed to move the harness around a bit because the new G1 is about an inch shorter than the original GEM.

I've upgraded to G1 at engine overhaul and could not be happier. You can see the whole picture at glance and for less than 1400 bucks I got a new display and a new set of probes. Installations was just a simple swap but we needed to move the harness around a bit because the new G1 is about an inch shorter than the original GEM.

Thanks for the information. Do you know if they offer just a slide in replacement? I know the probes are pretty expensive as replacements. It would be nice if I could just buy the box and keep my existing probes. I didn't know about the shorter box on the G1. If I remembered correctly, I could not get the GEM in the panel on the left side because it was too long. Wonder if this will allow me to move it up there now.

Thanks for the information. Do you know if they offer just a slide in replacement? I know the probes are pretty expensive as replacements. It would be nice if I could just buy the box and keep my existing probes. I didn't know about the shorter box on the G1. If I remembered correctly, I could not get the GEM in the panel on the left side because it was too long. Wonder if this will allow me to move it up there now.

Marauder,

You can just buy the display as well, I think the price was around 1034 for display only. For 1400 thought, getting new EGT/TIT probes felt like a good deal to me. Give Zoran a call, he is a pleasure to deal with. Head only is 1034, all new probes for only 200 extra I think it's worth it.

Marauder,

You can just buy the display as well, I think the price was around 1034 for display only. For 1400 thought, getting new EGT/TIT probes felt like a good deal to me. Give Zoran a call, he is a pleasure to deal with. Head only is 1034, all new probes for only 200 extra I think it's worth it.

Cool beans! I really like the new color display and the numeric output. I see on their website they are recommending the G3 over the G1, do you know why?

Cool beans! I really like the new color display and the numeric output. I see on their website they are recommending the G3 over the G1, do you know why?

Data-logging capability with SD Card as well as volts/MP/RPM/Fuel Flow/Outside Temp and oil digital redundancy. G1 was NOT out when I purchased, but I do not regret going with G3.

Data-logging capability with SD Card as well as volts/MP/RPM/Fuel Flow/Outside Temp and oil digital redundancy. G1 was NOT out when I purchased, but I do not regret going with G3.

Did you do the upgrade as well or did you buy outright? The original GEM I have has been rock solid and although I'm a techno weenie always looking for the latest tech, it's a lot of money to replace something working well. Besides, if my wife knew I was looking for something else to throw in this avionics upgrade, I would be hanging by toes.

If the cost to upgrade is within reason, I would love to do it.

Did you do the upgrade as well or did you buy outright? The original GEM I have has been rock solid and although I'm a techno weenie always looking for the latest tech, it's a lot of money to replace something working well. Besides, if my wife knew I was looking for something else to throw in this avionics upgrade, I would be hanging by toes.

If the cost to upgrade is within reason, I would love to do it.

I did the upgrade as I had a G3. I wanted the certified Primary capability (Cylinder Temp/Exhaust) as I wanted to remove the old six pack from my plane. The redundancy on All my Digital EI gauges plus having exterior temp did it for me. I was re-doing my co-pilot panel so timing was right for the upgrade. The probes are ALL from the GEM. All the insight interfaces (MP/RPM/Fuel Flow/Volts etc.) are right on with my primary EI Gauges. Zolton at Insight was VERY helpful. I demoed the G3 before making the purchase (running just the Cylinder and Exhaust Temp) to make sure I was happy with the read-out function. Again, No regrets in going with G3. It is way shorter than GEM 602 (schematic is online at website) so fitting in the left pilot panel was no problem.

I did the upgrade as I had a G3. I wanted the certified Primary capability (Cylinder Temp/Exhaust) as I wanted to remove the old six pack from my plane. The redundancy on All my Digital EI gauges plus having exterior temp did it for me. I was re-doing my co-pilot panel so timing was right for the upgrade. The probes are ALL from the GEM. All the insight interfaces (MP/RPM/Fuel Flow/Volts etc.) are right on with my primary EI Gauges. Zolton at Insight was VERY helpful. I demoed the G3 before making the purchase (running just the Cylinder and Exhaust Temp) to make sure I was happy with the read-out function. Again, No regrets in going with G3. It is way shorter than GEM 602 (schematic is online at website) so fitting in the left pilot panel was no problem.

Thanks for the time detailing your upgrade. I will need to take a closer look at the G3. I currently have an EI fuel totalizer but nothing to back up by MP, RPM and voltage measures. I like the idea of being able to move it up to the left pilot hole. The GEM is on a sub panel and it would be great if I could move it up. Thanks again.

I upgraded to the G2 from a GEM610 back in July. I love the new unit. The G2 is MUCH shorter than the 610. (maybe half the length) I was able to use all my same probes. I did the upgrade and sent my old unit back to them. They also sent me the signal adapter to pick up signal from the JPI Fuel Flow 450 transducer, so now I have fuel flow on 2 gauges. It's worked great and looks so much better and sharper than the old 610.

If you have an A&P friend, see if he would order it for you and you could save quite a bit of money. I think it was a $400 savings to go through my A&P. To get him to do it, I told him I'd split the amount I saved with him. So he got $200 cash and I still saved $200. Again, I really like it!

I upgraded to the G2 from a GEM610 back in July. I love the new unit. The G2 is MUCH shorter than the 610. (maybe half the length) I was able to use all my same probes. I did the upgrade and sent my old unit back to them. They also sent me the signal adapter to pick up signal from the JPI Fuel Flow 450 transducer, so now I have fuel flow on 2 gauges. It's worked great and looks so much better and sharper than the old 610.

If you have an A&P friend, see if he would order it for you and you could save quite a bit of money. I think it was a $400 savings to go through my A&P. To get him to do it, I told him I'd split the amount I saved with him. So he got $200 cash and I still saved $200. Again, I really like it!

Thanks for the information. I've been happy with the original GEM, but I sure do like the numerical display of the temps. Not to mention the color display. Thanks again.

• Like 1

Hi,

just thinking about replacing my single EGT with a basic engine monitor. I am looking at the Insight G1 and the JPI 700 at the moment.

Like the presentation fo the G1, but JPI says that its unit has shock cooling alert, which would probably be nice to have. Also, i do not know if the numbers of the G1 would be readable from the left seat as they appear rather small. I have to put it on the right side due to panel space.

Any thoughs / comments from the experienced guys ?

Cheers

Norbert

"Shock cooling" is an OWT in the first place, and in the second place it's pretty much impossible to violate Lycoming's recommendation (50 deg F/min) at least in my F. I wouldn't use the presence or absence of a shock cooling alert as a deciding factor in an engine monitor.

• 1 year later...

I have the Insight G3 and I love it. I've had it for a little over a year. However, in the interest of full disclosure, the engine RPM feature is not displaying on my unit. Not sure if it was installer error or what. Had a few other issues but sent it back to the factory and it came back problem free but the engine RPM issue has still not been resolved. I'm beginning to believe it was installer error which is why the RPM isn't working. That being said, I like the way the G3 displays the degrees from peak EGT. I have no problem with reading the small display but if you have eye trouble you may want to consider the G4.

This unit allows me to run LOP with confidence.

I upgraded to G3 then within a few months upgraded to the G4. I wanted the larger display. If I had the room i would have strongly considered some of the rectangle display. I have had JPI701, 801, Insight G3, G4 and the Insight is far better for me than the JPI.

Appreciate the color and the data logging, could be better button control of the screens and selection process.

Overall I would buy it again.

Good luck with your panel, post some picts when you get done!

The upgrade path from 602/610 is a slide in replacement "provided" you do not need a new wiring harness. This would be required if the existing harness does not have a few extra inches in it to attach to the shorter case of the G series and/or you can't move the G series to a panel position that will allow it to connect to the old harness. There have been various upgrade offers and the $200 previously mentioned is a good deal even if you use them as spares. I think that was only available when the G1 first came out. In my case I needed a new harness and went with the G2 because it gives you fuel flow required to do lean of peak ops. The web site gives the various options for each model but I did not want or need the complexity of the additional probes with the G3. Presently I need to return it to the factory as the fuel flow is no longer working. It remains to be seen if it is an installation issue or if the unit or fuel module is defective but it is under warrantee. I remember the factory saying they might change the upgrade to include a new harness since lots of folks have had a similar problem which of course increases the cost.

Update The unit was repaired at the factory and included all of the latest mods/software. They wer unsure of the problem and included a new fuel sensor "just in case" all at no charge. Works perfectly now. Customer service is awesome. It was returned in a week!

wondering what folks who installed an Insight G or JPI CHT engine monitor do with the stock CHT probe/ indicator.

if you installed a 4 cylinders CHT monitor, what can you do with the CHT in the cluster ?

i hate to see an instrument inop. covering it would not look too great either.

Can you keep the stock CHT (#3 cylinder) and add 4 CHT probes ?

Some times you can jumper the cht probe with an adaptor piggy backed off the CHT bayonet fitting. Or some installs have the old ring thermocouple on the sparkplug. It's installed on Cyl #3. I have the adaptor setup and I don't think the temp on #3 cht is even close. Looking for the best set up too...

-Matt

• 2 months later...

I had the G1 fitted about a year ago. I left the stock CHT unchanged and operational since the probe is mounted at a different position from the G 1probes. It still shows temperatures, but generally lower than the top cyinders show on the G1. So, I am afraid that it was actually mounted on a rather cold cylinder.
Anyway the stock unit can't hurt as back-up. 
Otherwise I am happy with the G1 but should have taken the larger diameter. I should have also realized that the highly touted lean feature is only really valuable if you have an injected engine with GAMI injectors,
Overall I am quite happy with the unit, especially with the bar presentation.