Mooney crash in NY area

Everytime something like this happens I wonder... how in the world it could have happened.  Short of an engine failure which statistically speaking is unlikely what else would cause a plane to fly into tress? I know there are alot of possibilites so hopefully the survivor will be able to provide some insight as to what caused this tragic incident to occur prior to anyone speculating 

RIP

I was thinking the same thing as Nick. As cautious as we all are, I wonder how these events unfold and happen. Whenever I read a story such as this I can't help but put myself in the aircraft at that time and try to play out what might have happened, if for no other reason to avoid the situation myself, until I wake up and realize that some things are out of our hands.

Like most here I never met Patrick but we had exchanged PM's. Having lost not one, but two, friends over the years to airplane crashes, I know better than most the impact an incident like this has on the family - and it isn't pleasant.

Let this be a humble reminder that all of us here engage in this risky pastime called aviating. It can be very rewarding and extremely unforgiving.

The thing about Patrick, as is becoming so evident by all the posts, he infectiously reached out to everyone.  I think we each just took him under our wing.  How could we not!  He was tender and gentle and determined.  Anyone that flies his airplane cross country just to get a paint job, is fierce and passionate.  I loved it!

I asked him to write his story for MAPA.  Sadly this will never happen.  He was going to be our tour guide on our next trip to NYC.   I am still in shock this morning.

I will tell you, he could fly that Mooney!  I rode with him on a short jaunt from Oceano to Santa Maria when he was here.  You can tell almost immediately when someone has good piloting skills, and he had them.

He inspired me!

Patrick

Like most, we never met. We PM'd a couple of times. You were very helpfull in all of our lives. I just don't know what to say, Your passing has shaken me up.   As you will remember, our tail numbers are very close, N9154V.    Prayers to your family and the survivor.  Rest in Peace.

Ron

To all- I asked and Patrick volunteered to call everyone in the NJ Mooney Group to make sure they would be attending the Toys for Kids & Mega Mooney Fly in on Sat.  Patrick E-mailed me on Wens saying he was "on It" so I hope everyone will make a special effort to attend. It is the last thing Patrick did for our group. In remembrance I'd like to suggest a moment of silence tomorrow . There may even be some that would like to share a story or two about Patrick. There will be a tent in front of where we will park our Mooney's so that is a place to congregate. Regards Cris

I had the good fortune to meet Patrick on the phone this week.  He was calling around to remind people of our NJ Mooney Fly-In.

Glad to have met you Patrick!

News and interview with Pat's Mom...

http://www.news12.com/index.jsp?regionId=1&region_name=LI

It seems Patrick was to graduate from college this week.

Fly-on Patrick....

-a-

Mooney drivers.  

I really think the best way that we can show what Patrick meant to us individually and as a group is try and make it to the event tomorrow.  Patrick literally loved these fly-ins and the camaraderie that came with them.  If he could of had it his way, I think we would have been flying somewhere every weekend.  He did't care what the distance was, he was coming.  He was so looking forward to tomorrow but was a bit upset at the level of commitment from our members.  Please if you're at all able, try and get to Cape May tomorrow and join us.

The news reporter said the engine stalled, I wonder if that was her interpretation of the plane stalling or if it was in fact an engine problem?  The survivor's father spoke on the interview, as did Patrick's mother.  I hope the survivor is able to help the NTSB piece this together as quickly and as accurately as possible.

I actually learned about this from beechtalk.com and the heading for the post was Risk Taker dies in Mooney.  You know, it really made me think that sometimes we are our own worst enemy in general aviation when people post things like that.  Kind of always hits me the wrong way because when you get to a point in your flying where you are thinking it can't happen to me you are looking for trouble.  I don't think the post was malicious but I do think it could have been better stated.

From the news photos, the aircraft looks intact though upside down. I guess it just slid down the tall trees and landed that way.   Wonder how they got the survivor out.  The prose talking about a fire in the center of the aircraft is also a puzzle.  If there was a fire wonder why the fuel tanks did not go.

Quote: Steve65E-NC

From the news photos, the aircraft looks intact though upside down. I guess it just slid down the tall trees and landed that way.   Wonder how they got the survivor out.  The prose talking about a fire in the center of the aircraft is also a puzzle.  If there was a fire wonder why the fuel tanks did not go.

it looked like he had the King KI-256 and KCS-55A gyros.  Alternator failure on a plane like this should be a secondary failure, IE the battery should give you a half hour of electricity or more.  But it is a distraction, and distrations can cause accidents.  Lets hope this is not the case.

Some here think that a faulty charging system is not cause for an accident. But, after reviewing one of the videos, The plane landed up inverted. A tarp partially covers the belly,  Not sure, but I thought I saw the nose wheel extended. If the battery pooped out, and Patrick could not retract the gear on take off, a short runway, this could be a key factor on poor climb performance! Just my thoughts.

Quote: davewilson

Some here think that a faulty charging system is not cause for an accident. But, after reviewing one of the videos, The plane landed up inverted. A tarp partially covers the belly,  Not sure, but I thought I saw the nose wheel extended. If the battery pooped out, and Patrick could not retract the gear on take off, a short runway, this could be a key factor on poor climb performance! Just my thoughts.