KFC 150 Autopilot

2jetman

Does anyone know if its possible to fix the "ALT" light on a KFC 150 autopilot without removing the unit and sending it to a avionics shop? The autopilot still works like it should, just no ALT light.

I havent but ill look them up and give them a call. A local avionics shop told me that I will probably have to remove it and send it off for repair. I was hoping to find a simple quick fix, but again... its aviation.

The HDG indicator burnt out on my KAP 150 and it was not cheap to get it fixed. I can't say for certain but I think the lighting element may be part of the board itself, not a screw in or bayonet mount. The unit worked perfectly fine, just the indicator did not illuminate.

My experience has been with a King silver crown radio whose display was acting up. The digits were flickering on and off at times. As I was told by my avionics shop it is easy and relatively inexpensive to change the displays on that family of radios to brand new ones. I was going to do that but then I decided on the GTN750 instead.

Having said that the KC192 is in a different category I think. It is a computer/controller/ANNUNCIATOR for the ap. It follows then that it most likely has to be repaired and properly tagged with paperwork and such to be able to be certified and reinstalled. Just my guess!

I've had a couple of the lights go out on my KFC-150 in the past.  Flyboy0681 is right.  The lights are tiny wheat bulbs that are part of the board.  At least that's what my mediocre avionics shop said.  They were able to replace the bulbs (two in my case) for about $300 to $400 on site by taking out the unit and bench servicing it.  This shop routinely over charges for labor, but they are convenient.  That is a long way of saying, you could probably get it done for less. 

BTW, down time was less than a day.  Hope that helps.

William....welcome to MooneySpace.

Where are you located and what model do you fly?

Putting that information in your signature block will help you get better answere ans assist everyone in understanding your replies.

About 18 months ago I had two lights go out on my KFC-150 display.   Everything worked just fine, just no lights.  The unit was sent to Autopilot Central for repairs.  Just over 1.0 AMU latter the display and vertical trim rocker switch were replaced.  There may have been an upgrade or mod to the unit, I don't recall.  It is never as easy or simple as I thought it would be.    

I love the KAS-297B preselect!  It seems ATC always wants me to change frequencies, headings, and routing just as I arrive at an altitude and the preselect makes it no big deal.  Granted, it isn't one of the newer units that allows holding an indicated air speed, as opposed to just a vertical speed, but it makes the workload much easier in complicated airspace.