peott

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This guy is serious. Here's his ad on Barnstormers:

PARTING OUT 1968 MOONEY M20F • GREAT OPPORTUNITY • I am parting out my 1968 M20F. The engine must go first everything else will follow. Lycoming IO-360-A1A 50 hrs. SMOH by Chuck Ney, Hartzell 2 Blade Scimitar Prop HC-C2YR-1BFP/F7497 about 50 hrs. SNEW, 2 ea. Garmin 430W, Garmin Transponder GTX327, PS Engineering Audio Panel PMA8000B, JPI 930 Engine Monitor, Fully Articulating Front Seats, 201 Yokes, STEC 30 Autopilot, Powerflow Exhaust System, LoPresti Cowl. I will be selling landing gear, tires/wheels/brakes, control surfaces, entry & baggage doors, back seats and anything that can be removed from the airframe. (316) 644-9095 cell. • Contact Paul E. Ott - OTT BROTHERS MACHINE CO. INC., Owner - located Wichita, KS USA • Telephone: 316 522 8145 • Fax: 316 522 8817 • Posted September 22, 2011 • Show all Ads posted by this Advertiser • Recommend This Ad to a Friend • Email Advertiser • Save to Watchlist • Report This Ad • Finance New Lower Rates!

I would be a shame to part out this aircraft.  You obviously have done work on it and there are owners who would enjoy a johnson bar Mooney in excellent shape (assuming that is correct). 

I have a 68 F model which is completely rebuilt.  Yours would be a good starting point for someone interested in doing the same. 

The engine and prop would be easy to sell. 

The avionics would sell - Garmin 430W, STEC 30 Autopilot, Garmin Transponder GTX327, PS Engineering Audio Panel PMA8000B, JPI 930 Engine Monitor, CO2 Guardian Model 452.  The 430 prices are dropping now that the new equipmnt has been released and the 430 discontinued.  The JPI 930 would probably bring 1/2 price of new. 

Fully Articulating Front Seats - owners do look for these

201 Yokes - will sell

Powerflow Exhaust System - probable will sell if very serviceable

Lo Presti Cowl - You will probably get less than you would like for this given that it has already been fitted to another airplane and has holes drilled in it from the previous installation.   The good news is that fiberglass can always be repaired and remodeled. 

The control surfaces would need to go to someone with a 1968 or earlier since your 68 probably has smooth skins.   The gear and push rods will not bring in much money if any at all.  You may find a person looking for a specific rod for replacement.  

If you do part it out, I may be interested in some spare parts.

Please send pictures of the plane as is to johnabreda@yahoo.com 

Somebody with $55K go get this plane. His plan is tragic. When I saw the pictures in the gallery, I thought it was the usual proud owner showing off all the cool mods and I was really admiring it. I had no idea it was headed for the chainsaw!! Were all these mods done by A & Ps with filed 337s and STCs?

Why even bother with reskinning anything if it is going to be parted out as salvage. Good luck with the headache of parting it out. I bought a hail damaged Cessna for the low time engine with the idea I would almost pay for the engine for what I made in parts. And 2 years later I almost broke even. Between the calls, requests for pictures, more pictures and even more pictures, crating parts and then shipping them, dealing with damage from shipping or someone that did not read HAIL DAMAGE and complained about the parts...never again.

I would get it in annual and slap her on E Bay. It would sell.

Yea, I meant the elevator, not the wing.  The elevator on the passenger side got pushed up against the hangar wall during a wind storm.  Nothing else was damaged but the elevator needs to be re-skinned or replaced with a different one.  If anyone has one around, let me know.  It has smooth skins both top and bottom.

Quote: DaV8or

Somebody with $55K go get this plane. His plan is tragic. When I saw the pictures in the gallery, I thought it was the usual proud owner showing off all the cool mods and I was really admiring it. I had no idea it was headed for the chainsaw!! Were all these mods done by A & Ps with filed 337s and STCs?

Of course all the mods were done with STC's and 337's.  We did the mods in two big projects, the first one about seven years ago and the last one about four years ago.  I have a friend that is an A & P with I/A and he did all the mods with my assistance on some of the grunt work.  I have been flying the plane since about December 2007 when the last of the mods were installed.  It is fast and a dream to fly with the autopilot and two GNS430W's.  Too bad Mooney can't make planes like mine and sell them at a reasonable cost.

Quote: PilotDerek

Scott

Not sure how you can say the STec isn't worth anything. Have you priced a new STEC-30 out or the JPI 930? Unless his photo was from when all his avionics were first installed a few years ago, they are all in very good if not excellent condition. He, of course, cannot get new prices but far more reasonable than what you priced them out for. I don't disagree that when all is said and done selling whole might be the better way to go. I know I for one would sell it whole, but I also do not have the time, storage, or patience to part out a plane. If someone does buy it whole I will be happy that a Mooney was saved, but a little sad that I cannot take advantage of good avionics/parts at a good price.

Quote: knute

S-Tec has been known to have a policy to issue the STC for installation to a specific serial numbered airplane only, and is not willing to authorize an STC to transfer used S-Tec equipment to another airplane.  For all intents and purposes, this makes it worthless for use on a certified airplane, hence the comment that it's "really only an option for the experimental crowd".

My initial thought was that the experimental crowd might go for the autopilot but, I am probably wrong there.  You can buy autopilots that are way better than an S-Tec for way less money if you have an experimental.  That is a major component and of course would have to bring $6500 to $7500 for my numbers to come out.  As of today, I have only had two calls on the engine and neither of them wanted to pay more than core value.  I think the cold hard truth is that there just isn't a lot of money being spent on older general aviation airplanes right now.  You know the old saying that you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear....I think it is just a fact of life that you can take a 1968 Mooney M20F and do anything and everything you want to it but you will still just have a 1968 Mooney M20F.  It will never be a 201 or a 231.  It will never have electric gear or electric flaps.  If you ask the same money for a '68 M20F as people can buy a nice 201 or 231, they will take the newer airframe and more modern systems any time.  I knew I ran this risk when I over improved this plane but, it is one damn nice plane to fly and I have enjoyed every minute of flying it.  I might end up just putting it up for sale, as is, and see what happens or I might just get it annualed, have my son who is an A&P install the one piece belly STC, just to get it installed, and fly it a few more years and see if the market for small planes improves.

Quote: peott

My initial thought was that the experimental crowd might go for the autopilot but, I am probably wrong there.  You can buy autopilots that are way better than an S-Tec for way less money if you have an experimental.  That is a major component and of course would have to bring $6500 to $7500 for my numbers to come out.  As of today, I have only had two calls on the engine and neither of them wanted to pay more than core value.  I think the cold hard truth is that there just isn't a lot of money being spent on older general aviation airplanes right now.  You know the old saying that you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear....I think it is just a fact of life that you can take a 1968 Mooney M20F and do anything and everything you want to it but you will still just have a 1968 Mooney M20F.  It will never be a 201 or a 231.  It will never have electric gear or electric flaps.  If you ask the same money for a '68 M20F as people can buy a nice 201 or 231, they will take the newer airframe and more modern systems any time.  I knew I ran this risk when I over improved this plane but, it is one damn nice plane to fly and I have enjoyed every minute of flying it.  I might end up just putting it up for sale, as is, and see what happens or I might just get it annualed, have my son who is an A&P install the one piece belly STC, just to get it installed, and fly it a few more years and see if the market for small planes improves.

Quote: rbridges

I don't know if I missed why it's out of annual, but if you get that plane right on paper, you will have people wearing your phone out to get it for $60K.  The johnson bar/hydraulic flaps are not a deal killer.  A 201 with that panel would run tens of thousands more than your asking.  The performance has to be pretty close with the windshield/cowling mod.  I guarantee you get the plane legal to fly and you will sell it.

Seriously, annual the plane and have it airworthy with all paperwork.  The AOPA Aircraft Valuation is around $80,000 without the cowl mod.  Most older 201s don't have the avionics in this plane.  List it with a broker and let them do the work.  I see no reason with the above done that you can't get a buyer for 65K.  Look at what else is out there for 65k...not much else compares.  Someone looking for a 201 or similar retractable will appreciate this plane and realize the benefits of the johnson bar and not be concerned with 5 knots less speed.  I would think it would be faster than any pre 78 J model.  Ebay is a good option as well as barnstormers.