Parting Out 1968 M20F Mooney

peott

I have decided to persue parting out my 1968 M20F. Here is what I have and if anyone has any interest in anything, let me know. Selling the engine will be priority one and everything else will follow.

Lycoming IO-360-A1A Less than 50 hrs. SMOH by Chuck Ney in Tulsa

Hartzell 2 Blade Scimitar Prop HC-C2YR-1BFP/F7497 Less than 50 hrs. SNEW

2 ea. Garmin 430W

1 ea. Garmin Transponder GTX327

1 ea. PS Engineering Audio Panel PMA8000B

1 ea. JPI 930 Engine Monitor

2 ea. Fully Articulating Front Seats (I can get P/N's for these)

2 ea. 201 Yokes

1 ea. STEC 30 Autopilot

1 ea. CO2 Guardian Model 452

1 ea. Powerflow Exhaust System

1 ea. Lo Presti Cowl

All Flight Instruments

Of course, I will be selling landing gear, tires/wheels/brakes, control surfaces, entry door, baggage door,

back seats and anything else that can be removed from the airframe. There is absolutely nothing wrong

with this plane and I flew it regularly until about three years ago when I seemed to no longer have time to

fly much. If you want something from this plane, send me an e-mail and I will make a list. Like I said, I am not going to start disassembly until I get the engine and prop sold. After that, everything is fair game.

I also have a one piece belly that has not been installed on the plane for sale. The part I have is PMA'd and I bought the STC paperwork to allow installation. I have all that as well. I don't know what you would have to do in the current regulatory environment to install this on your plane but, all the parts, instructions and paperwork is available.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No damage history at all except for a little hangar rash on the right elevator.  That elevator is going to be reskinned in the next week or so.  It happened when the plane got turned in the hangar by a storm.  Fortunately, only the elevator was damaged. No corrosion.  This plane has been in the midwest almost it's entire life and was inside a hangar for many, many years.  It has been in a shade hangar for about the last 10 years and the paint is still pristine.  This plane is in great condition and flies like a new one.  I wish I had time to sell it rather than parting it out but I just don't.

post-14409-13468140555515_thumb.jpg

Is this for real? I don't understand why someone would part out a good airplane. And why would someone spend the money to reskin an elevator if they are parting out the airplane? He also said that he didn't have time to sell it and that's why he is parting it out. Am I the only one that thinks someting is not right here?

If anyone is interested, the insurance guy was just here and they will take care of reskinning the wing.  Some people believe it would be better to annual the plane and sell it rather than parting it out.  The insurance adjuster just told me that in his experience, older planes bring more money by parting them out than selling them whole.  He has been in the business a long time and knows the value of planes and plane parts.  He indicated that getting parts for Mooney's is starting to be an ordeal with very long lead times.  If anyone knows of a right elevator for sale for a '68 M20F, let me know.  I get that fixed no matter what I do with the plane.  For those of you that think it would sell for a lot more than parting it out, give me $55000 for it, just as it sits (with the elevator fixed) and turn around and re-sell it and make the profit you think you can make.  It is all easier said than done.  Once the engine is sold, I can take off all the parts I think will sell and store them in a shed.  Cut up the fuselage, empanage and wings and sell that scrap aluminum and be ready to sell Mooney parts.  If the factory goes completely under, those old parts that I have will be worth their weight in gold.

Quote: peott

If anyone is interested, the insurance guy was just here and they will take care of reskinning the wing.  Some people believe it would be better to annual the plane and sell it rather than parting it out.  The insurance adjuster just told me that in his experience, older planes bring more money by parting them out than selling them whole.  He has been in the business a long time and knows the value of planes and plane parts.  He indicated that getting parts for Mooney's is starting to be an ordeal with very long lead times.  If anyone knows of a right elevator for sale for a '68 M20F, let me know.  I get that fixed no matter what I do with the plane.  For those of you that think it would sell for a lot more than parting it out, give me $55000 for it, just as it sits (with the elevator fixed) and turn around and re-sell it and make the profit you think you can make.  It is all easier said than done.  Once the engine is sold, I can take off all the parts I think will sell and store them in a shed.  Cut up the fuselage, empanage and wings and sell that scrap aluminum and be ready to sell Mooney parts.  If the factory goes completely under, those old parts that I have will be worth their weight in gold.

No...there is no damage history of any kind to this plane...except the right elevator was recently damaged by a windstorm.  That is being fixed by insurance.  I guess going out to the airport once in a while and taking a part off the airplane seems like a fairly simple thing to do or.....I can pay my son a hundred bucks to spend a Saturday out there and strip it down to the point where we can sell the hulk for scrap.  I have plenty of space to store parts and truly believe that once the Mooney factory shuts down for good these old Mooney parts are going to be worth some $$$.