#21 carusoam

carusoam

Won't Leave!

• Members
  • 5,357 posts
  • LocationNJ
  • Model:Ovation 1

Posted 14 December 2010 - 02:00 PM

TN=Turbo Normalized  on your Continental IO-550  (to add to Jim's explanation)

Sometimes the M20L shows up in conversation, as it had been modified from Porsche power to an IO-550 also. 

Rocket engineering started the trend by putting large displacement continental engines into Js and Ks.  The Mooney factory responded with M20M (Lycoming TLH) and then M20R both based on the long body of the M20L (+ stretched rear window and stronger legs).

Best regards,

-a-

#22 danb35

danb35

Won't Leave!

• Members
  • 1,180 posts
  • LocationFt Bragg, NC and Hartsville, SC
  • Reg #:N6448Q
  • Model:M20F

Posted 14 December 2010 - 05:18 PM

Quote: eaglebkh

Some models have a letter and a number (J - 201, K - 231)

Some have a number and a name (252 - Missile, 262 - Rocket)

Some have a letter and a name (M - Bravo, R - Ovation, S - Eagle)

All Mooneys, except for the original M20 and the M22, have at least one letter (the Acclaim is the only one I know of to have two letters, the TN).  Most, but not all, have a name as well; for some of those, the "name" is a number.

The J is also known as (depending on when it was made, and what options were installed) the 201, the 205, the Advanced Trainer, and probably other things I've forgotten.  When Rocket Engineering bolts an IO-550 onto it, it becomes the Missile.

The K, from the factory, was either the 231, 252, or the Encore (most notable differences between these models are the engines--all are TSIO-360s, but the 231 was either a -GB or -LB, the 252 was a -MB, and the Encore was a -SB).  When ModWorks bolts the engine from a 252 onto a 231, it becomes a 262.  When Rocket Engineering bolts a TSIO-520 onto any of the K models, it becomes a Rocket (though I've never heard of a Rocket conversion being done on an Encore, and I understand they're pretty rare on 252s).

Missile, Rocket, and 262 are aftermarket names, not "official" Mooney designations.

#23 LT4BIRD

LT4BIRD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 11:32 PM

I have flown three to four different Rocket and Missle conversions all with impressive performance for a price. Fuel. And lot's of it.

Most have cruzed around 180kts at 3500 or so. I would like move up from my J model but everytime I jump in a Rocket or Missle and see the burn I'm glad to be in the J.

If I could afford it though....................

#24 Capt_CrashN_Burn

Capt_CrashN_Burn

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 05:42 PM

Quote: danb35

All Mooneys, except for the original M20 and the M22, have at least one letter (the Acclaim is the only one I know of to have two letters, the TN).  Most, but not all, have a name as well; for some of those, the "name" is a number.

The J is also known as (depending on when it was made, and what options were installed) the 201, the 205, the Advanced Trainer, and probably other things I've forgotten.  When Rocket Engineering bolts an IO-550 onto it, it becomes the Missile.

The K, from the factory, was either the 231, 252, or the Encore (most notable differences between these models are the engines--all are TSIO-360s, but the 231 was either a -GB or -LB, the 252 was a -MB, and the Encore was a -SB).  When ModWorks bolts the engine from a 252 onto a 231, it becomes a 262.  When Rocket Engineering bolts a TSIO-520 onto any of the K models, it becomes a Rocket (though I've never heard of a Rocket conversion being done on an Encore, and I understand they're pretty rare on 252s).

Missile, Rocket, and 262 are aftermarket names, not "official" Mooney designations.

You did leave out the 351 Rocket Conversion on the Bravo. It was the liquid cooled LTSIO-550. 335 horse IIRC.

#25 DaV8or

DaV8or

Won't Leave!

• Members
  • 3,084 posts
  • LocationDiscovery Bay, CA (Byron C83)
  • Reg #:9289M
  • Model:1966 M20F

Posted 17 December 2010 - 11:38 AM

Quote: danb35

All Mooneys, except for the original M20 and the M22, have at least one letter (the Acclaim is the only one I know of to have two letters, the TN).

Don't forget the M10 I don't think they ever got a letter. Also the original M18 had no letter, but none of those exist now, so it's a moot point. All Mites are now either an M18L or M18C depending on engine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users