Anyone replace carpet in M20E with Airtex?

I received my Airtex carpet replacement kit.  Looks nice and includes three pieces of carpet.  Two runners that have cut outs for rudder pedals and nice plastic where feet will rest as well as a piece that looks baggage area size.  Question, what about the middle section between seats?  What did everyone do with this area?  Is a piece missing?

I also bought from Airtex and ended up with 6 pieces of carpet for my 65 M20E and no plan or instructions... A big one that covered almost all of the floor except for a small spot in in between seats in the rear, where a small piece would fit. Another big one for the cargo. One that goes around the wheel well and one for the top (both need trimming) and a small 8"X8" I'm trying to find a use for...

Good luck!

Thanks.  That helps.  I think they forgot the center section between the seats...otherwise I think I'm set...unless they included this with the baggage area piece.  Not sure it would work with Johnson Bar.  Does your bar function O.K. with thickness of carpet or did you have to remove some of the padding?

Scott,

I did my M20C with Airtex.  The carpet is thick, but turned out OK.  I thought I was going to have to trim or make an adjustment.  Not needed.

I had my mechanic do the installation on the carpet parts that required disconnection of flight controls (center).

Side boards and kick panels all look much better when refreshed.  One thing I found that was not supplied with the kit was two small triangles for the 65C that were at the sides of the back seat.

Airtex is willing to make parts as long as you can fax or email them what you are looking for.

Best regards,

-a-

Best regards,

Anthony

Scott,

I had to ask for that piece that goes inbetween the 2 front seats. Initially they gave me a hard time but I finally convinced them that my G model did not have the plastic.

PS: I still owe you some pics of my redone interior!

Cant figure out how to edit.

The center peice for in between the seats is about 1/4 inch to wide on bothe sides due to the finish/stitching of the carpet. I just hand stitched it tucked underneath. And got out the hole for the gear lock-down latch.

I think I remember cutting a hole where the fuel selector valve is.

There are pre-existing screw holes in the floor of the cockpit.  To make use of these...Tinnerman nuts and belly panels removed, sheet metal screws with decorative ring are nice to hold the carpet in place.

-a-

Call Dodd Stretch...or show him this thread. If Airtex doesn't have the pattern, they'll make it. Airtex did my J and created a nice insert for this area. I couldn't be happier with the interior and especially the carpets they did for me. Btw, how are you Scott? Nice to see you back in the forums!

post-7035-13468140468609_thumb.jpg

Quote: scottfromiowa

Thanks.  That helps.  I think they forgot the center section between the seats...otherwise I think I'm set...unless they included this with the baggage area piece.  Not sure it would work with Johnson Bar.  Does your bar function O.K. with thickness of carpet or did you have to remove some of the padding?

Thanks for all your great comments.  I phoned Airtex and spoke with Mark.  He said there are about eight different interiors for the time period (J-bar, no J-bar, Center plastic (nose wheel) no center) so didn't send center.  He was VERY helpful and said if I didn't mind and could send a pattern he would cut and seam to suit.  Pretty excellent service!  I will pull seats and install existing interior and see what else I need.  Thanks again everybody,

Scott

• 5 years later...

I am very disappointed with Airtex.  They had my year, model, serial number etc. yet sent carpet that didn't have the fuel switch cut out, and didn't send a center piece that would even remotely fit around the Johnson bar / latch etc.  Maybe they will make it good but I was surprised that given the price it was basically carpet with the handiwork all left to the customer.

Welcome aboard, Jeff.

Were you able to read this thread before you bought the Airtex carpet?

I see some of my input from back in 2011.  In 2000, I was happy to get some low cost stuff that nearly fit, on a budget...

It was a great improvement over what was in the plane.  It doesn't compare in price or quality of what a custom shop can deliver...

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

@JeffMirs when I ordered my airtex I asked if I had plastic or carpet under the Jbar on the floor , which it didn't. The carpet I received was 1 large piece for the floor, a T shaped piece that went between seat rails behind the Jbar block on the floor and 2 for around the nose gear well and the baggage area floor. IMG_1080.thumb.JPG.ba404fb5b9d73f899ebe798ead67b348.JPG

So shipping it back and forth is out of the question.   So locating and cutting the fuel cut out.   You are going to need an awl and a utility knife and some good scissors.   Get the carpet where your want. Mine happens to be put down with 2" velcro black and 1" white velcro. Find the fuel selector area.  cut a cross with the utility knife an X and then another.   Then use scissors to cut and trim the hole around the fuel selector.   The plastic trim needs it cut about 1/8"  back from the edge.   Now use the awl to poke through the carpet for the screw hole.  Locate and punch all others.  Get first screw started then do all others.

Probably will take it less time to do it then I took to write how to do it.

1 hour ago, Yetti said:

Find the fuel selector area.  cut a cross with the utility knife an X and then another.   Then use scissors to cut and trim the hole around the fuel selector. 

Flip the carpet over, mine was marked on the back but not cut out

Mine was also marked on the back and I used that as a general indication of where the selector was going to be located. Having put the carpet down I proceeded to lift the carpet from the back until I got to the fuel selector.Noting how close the marking on the back was to the actual selector. Then I proceeded to puncture the carpet with a utility knife and worked my way around. Palpating around the area will help greatly as you can feel where the selector is located and cutting close to the selector as possible will give you a nice circle around it.

• 2 months later...

Turns out Airtex sent me the kit for a different model than my C.  It was frustrating, but I must say the customer service was very good and they got it right eventually, so I would not hesitate to use them again in the future. We took two or three wacks at the trim pieces between the seats but it did get done .

Edited by JeffMirs

• 3 years later...

I thought I would revive this thread in case anyone is looking at the Airtex carpets. I ordered a set for my 75F about a month ago. It arrived but the center piece was for a Johnson Bar version. I also noted that the carpets didn't fit quite right. The main reason was that using Bruce Jaeger's Spatial Designs changed the width of the cabin a bit. I called up Airtex and spoke with Mark. He said if I could make paper cutouts of the carpeted areas in my plane, they would make up a new set. After sending them the cutouts, they made a new set for me. They fit perfect. 

What they didn't do was cutout the fuel selector or floor gear indicator. I think the reason they didn't do this is because there will always be a little bit of play in the placement of the rug. The rug isn't that hard to cut and allowing me to cut it myself allowed a more accurate fit.

As for the quality of the rugs. I got samples from SCS. The quality of the AirTex are the same quality as SCS's "featherweight" version. Airtex include the Ensolite foam backing at no charge and it costs $289+shipping. SCS equivalent is $495.50 (added the Ensolite backing to make it apples to apples). I looked at the wool version but my outer Cheap Bastard couldn't see paying $1820 for rugs.

We will see how well they wear...

• Like 3

I thought I would revive this thread in case anyone is looking at the Airtex carpets. I ordered a set for my 75F about a month ago. It arrived but the center piece was for a Johnson Bar version. I also noted that the carpets didn't fit quite right. The main reason was that using Bruce Jaeger's Spatial Designs changed the width of the cabin a bit. I called up Airtex and spoke with Mark. He said if I could make paper cutouts of the carpeted areas in my plane, they would make up a new set. After sending them the cutouts, they made a new set for me. They fit perfect. 
What they didn't do was cutout the fuel selector or floor gear indicator. I think the reason they didn't do this is because there will always be a little bit of play in the placement of the rug. The rug isn't that hard to cut and allowing me to cut it myself allowed a more accurate fit.
As for the quality of the rugs. I got samples from SCS. The quality of the AirTex are the same quality as SCS's "featherweight" version. Airtex include the Ensolite foam backing at no charge and it costs $289+shipping. SCS equivalent is $495.50 (added the Ensolite backing to make it apples to apples). I looked at the wool version but my outer Cheap Bastard couldn't see paying $1820 for rugs.

My Airtex carpets are 8 years old and they look good. I give them a good cleaning every anual

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Marauder said:

between the Jaeger interior and new carpet, I bet your F looks much nicer.  Are you planning to do the seats anytime soon?

Been very pleased with my Airtex carpet, I ordered an additional 1/2 yard of carpet to carpet behind the rudder pedals and partially up the firewall. The carpet for the rudder pedal boxes were hand sewn then I had the edges binding done locally. At one point the carpet was glued down but the carpet I replaced was installed with snaps, so the new airtex was installed with snaps (I used black colored snaps) after I cleaned all the old glue of the cabin floor.