Photo

Anyone replace carpet in M20E with Airtex?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 scottfromiowa

scottfromiowa

ScottfromIowa

• Members
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationCedar Rapids, IA
  • Reg #:3424X
  • Model:M20E

Posted 18 July 2011 - 09:26 PM

I received my Airtex carpet replacement kit.  Looks nice and includes three pieces of carpet.  Two runners that have cut outs for rudder pedals and nice plastic where feet will rest as well as a piece that looks baggage area size.  Question, what about the middle section between seats?  What did everyone do with this area?  Is a piece missing?

#2 drapo

drapo

• Members
  • 108 posts
  • LocationSt-Eustache, Quebec, Canada
  • Reg #:C-GJDP

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:12 PM

I also bought from Airtex and ended up with 6 pieces of carpet for my 65 M20E and no plan or instructions... A big one that covered almost all of the floor except for a small spot in in between seats in the rear, where a small piece would fit. Another big one for the cargo. One that goes around the wheel well and one for the top (both need trimming) and a small 8"X8" I'm trying to find a use for...

Good luck!

#3 scottfromiowa

scottfromiowa

ScottfromIowa

• Members
  • 2,890 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:25 PM

Thanks.  That helps.  I think they forgot the center section between the seats...otherwise I think I'm set...unless they included this with the baggage area piece.  Not sure it would work with Johnson Bar.  Does your bar function O.K. with thickness of carpet or did you have to remove some of the padding?

#4 carusoam

carusoam

Won't Leave!

• Members
  • 5,068 posts
  • LocationNJ
  • Model:Ovation 1

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:47 PM

Scott,

I did my M20C with Airtex.  The carpet is thick, but turned out OK.  I thought I was going to have to trim or make an adjustment.  Not needed.

I had my mechanic do the installation on the carpet parts that required disconnection of flight controls (center).

Side boards and kick panels all look much better when refreshed.  One thing I found that was not supplied with the kit was two small triangles for the 65C that were at the sides of the back seat.

Airtex is willing to make parts as long as you can fax or email them what you are looking for.

Best regards,

-a-

Best regards,

Anthony

#5 flhelo

flhelo

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • LocationKZPH
  • Reg #:N6782N
  • Model:M20-G

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:48 PM

Scott,

I had to ask for that piece that goes inbetween the 2 front seats. Initially they gave me a hard time but I finally convinced them that my G model did not have the plastic.

PS: I still owe you some pics of my redone interior!

#6 flhelo

flhelo

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • LocationKZPH
  • Reg #:N6782N
  • Model:M20-G

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:55 PM

Cant figure out how to edit.

The center peice for in between the seats is about 1/4 inch to wide on bothe sides due to the finish/stitching of the carpet. I just hand stitched it tucked underneath. And got out the hole for the gear lock-down latch.

#7 carusoam

carusoam

Won't Leave!

• Members
  • 5,068 posts
  • LocationNJ
  • Model:Ovation 1

Posted 18 July 2011 - 11:15 PM

I think I remember cutting a hole where the fuel selector valve is.

There are pre-existing screw holes in the floor of the cockpit.  To make use of these...Tinnerman nuts and belly panels removed, sheet metal screws with decorative ring are nice to hold the carpet in place.

-a-

#8 N4352H

N4352H

Won't Leave!

• Members
  • 1,905 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 11:22 PM

Call Dodd Stretch...or show him this thread. If Airtex doesn't have the pattern, they'll make it. Airtex did my J and created a nice insert for this area. I couldn't be happier with the interior and especially the carpets they did for me. Btw, how are you Scott? Nice to see you back in the forums!

Attached Files

#9 drapo

drapo

• Members
  • 108 posts
  • LocationSt-Eustache, Quebec, Canada
  • Reg #:C-GJDP

Posted 18 July 2011 - 11:58 PM

Quote: scottfromiowa

Thanks.  That helps.  I think they forgot the center section between the seats...otherwise I think I'm set...unless they included this with the baggage area piece.  Not sure it would work with Johnson Bar.  Does your bar function O.K. with thickness of carpet or did you have to remove some of the padding?

Jonshon Bar works OK, I too tought it would not fit, but it did!

BTW, I also had to trim around the fuel selector to make it fit.

#10 Shadrach

Shadrach

Won't Leave!

• Members
  • 1,823 posts
  • LocationKFDK
  • Model:1967 M20F

Posted 19 July 2011 - 12:20 AM

Airtex made a piece for my manual gear F at my request. It works well, but I need get some double sided tape to keep the 2 front "ears" that fit around the Johnson Bar in place.

#11 scottfromiowa

scottfromiowa

ScottfromIowa

• Members
  • 2,890 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 11:16 AM

Thanks for all your great comments.  I phoned Airtex and spoke with Mark.  He said there are about eight different interiors for the time period (J-bar, no J-bar, Center plastic (nose wheel) no center) so didn't send center.  He was VERY helpful and said if I didn't mind and could send a pattern he would cut and seam to suit.  Pretty excellent service!  I will pull seats and install existing interior and see what else I need.  Thanks again everybody,

Scott

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users