Gulf Coast Avionics PIREP

Kristoffer

Like in surgery the outcome of the procedure depends a lot on the technician doing the job rather than the shop itself. Always ask for the previous tech that did a good job on your plane. Unlike in the old days todays avionics require configuring or programming the new equipment and this requires extra labor time $$$. It helps if the owner is familiar with the equipment  installation and programming. Most mechanics are not pilots themselves so they are not familiar on how the unit should work.

José 

Edited by Piloto
  • Like 1

I'd like to add my experience with the west coast branch PCA. I took my J up to PCA in March to trade my two 430Ws with two IFD 440s, an NGT 9000, an EI ammeter and a Mid Continent MD93 digital clock. 

After picking up my plane I flew home Half way home I stopped for fuel at night and discovered the dome light was no longer working. I also discovered the CDI on one 440 was off by about 30 degrees and one of my static wicks had been broken on the left outboard aileron. Also, my aural alerts were never hooked up. I too was not offered or advised on this. I eventually had to have my local avionics guy attach those wires for the aural alerts. Furthermore, there's a feature to have presets wired to a push button but PCA didn't tell me about or offer me that either. Again, my local guy installed two of these for me, on my panel. I love this feature.

I emailed them about the CDI and was emailed instructions how to fix that in the settings. That was an easy fix. Unfortunately I didn't even mention the dome light, static wick or the aural alerts as I didn't want to deal with the "We didn't break it" argument on the other issues.

I'm really happy with my avionics and even the shop but not so much with the workmanship. During my preflight, at the shop, I noticed a camloc missing from the cowl. A bunch of the employees helped me with a FOD walk until we found it. 

I'd say they're a decent shop but I expected better quality work considering the amount of avionics they probably move every month. I also would have liked to have been offered some of those options like the aural alerts and preset push buttons. I will have my local avionics guy do any work in the future.

9 hours ago, NotarPilot said:

I'd like to add my experience with the west coast branch PCA. I took my J up to PCA in March to trade my two 430Ws with two IFD 440s, an NGT 9000, an EI ammeter and a Mid Continent MD93 digital clock. 

After picking up my plane I flew home Half way home I stopped for fuel at night and discovered the dome light was no longer working. I also discovered the CDI on one 440 was off by about 30 degrees and one of my static wicks had been broken on the left outboard aileron. Also, my aural alerts were never hooked up. I too was not offered or advised on this. I eventually had to have my local avionics guy attach those wires for the aural alerts. Furthermore, there's a feature to have presets wired to a push button but PCA didn't tell me about or offer me that either. Again, my local guy installed two of these for me, on my panel. I love this feature.

I emailed them about the CDI and was emailed instructions how to fix that in the settings. That was an easy fix. Unfortunately I didn't even mention the dome light, static wick or the aural alerts as I didn't want to deal with the "We didn't break it" argument on the other issues.

I'm really happy with my avionics and even the shop but not so much with the workmanship. During my preflight, at the shop, I noticed a camloc missing from the cowl. A bunch of the employees helped me with a FOD walk until we found it. 

I'd say they're a decent shop but I expected better quality work considering the amount of avionics they probably move every month. I also would have liked to have been offered some of those options like the aural alerts and preset push buttons. I will have my local avionics guy do any work in the future.

Can you tell me a little emote about how the wire presets work? I read about it but I do not totally understand how I would use it in my daily flying.

Thanks,

2 hours ago, Kristoffer said:

Can you tell me a little emote about how the wire presets work? I read about it but I do not totally understand how I would use it in my daily flying.

Thanks,

In the AUX page you can click on the audio tab then click on the "com preset list" to program up to 10 different preset frequencies. If you wire up the push button you can cycle through those frequencies in your stand by box. Since I use my plane to commute to work I have it set in order of frequencies "clearance, ground, departure tower, air-to-air, arrival tower, and ground" and the bottom radio is programmed with the ATIS presets. I didn't have room on my yoke for the buttons so I just had my avionics guy put two push buttons on the panel side by side. I like it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NotarPilot said:

In the AUX page you can click on the audio tab then click on the "com preset list" to program up to 10 different preset frequencies. If you wire up the push button you can cycle through those frequencies in your stand by box. Since I use my plane to commute to work I have it set in order of frequencies "clearance, ground, departure tower, air-to-air, arrival tower, and ground" and the bottom radio is programmed with the ATIS presets. I didn't have room on my yoke for the buttons so I just had my avionics guy put two push buttons on the panel side by side. I like it.

I too commute for work. I was wondering what the theory was in how to use them. Cool thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/27/2016 at 8:56 AM, Chupacabra said:

FWIW, My "F" is currently at CE Avionics @KSFB. I was the high bidder on the Lynx NGT 9000 at Mooney Summit and it is getting installed. I am also having my KLN 89B changed out to a KLN 94, my #2 radio moved to the right panel, my ADF and related accessories removed, vertical card compass and USB charging port installed and a lazy AI repaired.

My experience so far has been a good one. Robert Powell is the salesman, a retired pilot and most professional. Their hourly rate is $105 but I have learned it is sometimes less expensive to pay for experience than to pay for someone to learn. I received a detailed estimate and will report back after the work is completed. 

Any PIREP on CE avionics?  I'm searching Mooneyspace for PIREPS on Florida/Georgia Avionics shops.  Planing an upgrade in January or so.  Thanks

7 hours ago, Hector said:

Any PIREP on CE avionics?  I'm searching Mooneyspace for PIREPS on Florida/Georgia Avionics shops.  Planing an upgrade in January or so.  Thanks

Hector, I am well pleased with the work they did. I was given a quote beforehand and any unexpected "issues" that came up were brought to my attention immediately with solutions and anticipated cost.  Robert is honest and trustworthy and enjoys helping us pilots. He actually talked me out of spending more for something I wanted but didn't need. I have Roberts permission to give out his personal number here for anyone who has questions regarding Ads-B compliance or any other instrument/avionics questions. 

Robert Powell 410-459-1274

• Like 3

I have done avionics installations in light aircraft as a part-time activity while working my day job as avionics engineer.

I would tell guys who wanted me to work on their planes that I would do it on a time and material basis only. I'd estimate the job but the agreement was "pay for actual hours" as it is impossible to foresee what one will find in our antique planes.  

More than half of the time guys were uncomfortable with my "no-limit-to-cost" bid and they'd go elsewhere.  Generally they got a firm estimate from a shop and the job over-ran the estimated cost and schedule.  Sometimes by a lot.  

I have empathy for both the shop and the owner.   It is tough to estimate and it is hard to accept the unknowns.

• Like 1