Hartzell Prop Hub AD

1 hour ago, acpartswhse said:

HELP!!! I have searched high and low for the AD that says  the old hubs cannot be reused after a prop strike.  I can understand that Hartzell would want to retire them and sell a B hub but they were certified by the FAA and a service bulletin can't eliminate them unless used as part 121.  Owners such as you and I are not affected by SBs unless mandatory SB I believe.  Correct me if I am wrong.  Of course aerobatic aircraft are in a world of their own. 

And if you will check with a few prop shops you will find the B hub is more fragile.  The great lady at western propeller has one down now and she is very helpful. 

Jerry Pressley

Hi Jerry, it isn't an AD that says this. Hartzell has amended their overhaul manual to disqualify those hubs from being overhauled. Because props cannot be worked on by and A&P, you have to take them to a repair station. Repair stations have to use current data in their repairs and overhauls, and the current data makes those hubs un-airworthy. This is true for ALL the hubs, not just the B hubs. I called 3 different local prop shops, then Hartzell themselves to confirm this. Obviously with 2 "B" hubs in my possession, it was in my best interest to be able to reuse them.

The sticky part, is that if you simply provide a part to a prop shop, with no documented history, it's hard to prove if it has been in a strike or not. Realistically, how many used "B" hubs are going to be available that were NOT in a strike? That may be neither here nor there, because if the part from a salvage yard still passes NDT, and dimension checks, do you really care if it was in a strike or not? I don't know, but if you do, maybe only buy new.

That's a great idea, sell those hubs to some other unsuspecting pilot!  Anything for a dollar.

If they were involved in a previous prop strike and the insurance company bought new props, do the old ones belong to the insurance company?  

Shouldn't the prop shop have destroyed them?

Clarence

13 hours ago, M20Doc said:

That's a great idea, sell those hubs to some other unsuspecting pilot!  Anything for a dollar.

If they were involved in a previous prop strike and the insurance company bought new props, do the old ones belong to the insurance company?  

Shouldn't the prop shop have destroyed them?

Clarence

Apparently I misunderstood M20Doc's post.  He's talking about selling them to other countries.

Edited by cctsurf
misunderstanding

On 10/31/2016 at 5:40 PM, acpartswhse said:

Cody, You are into these things every day,  what say you on B fragility?

The B Hub is a monster of Aluminum.

It is beefier in every aspect.

Those of you with J models with the Hartzell's, might have noticed during the upgrade to the B hub, Your spinner backplate had to have a couple large notchs machined near the attach points.

Reason being the B Hub is much larger in outside Deminsion, the backplate would not fit the new Hub without this modification.

Very Good Hub, my opinion only.

• Like 1

Not unsuspecting pilots.  To legitimate propeller shops.  And I never said I would make a dollar unless that has become a nasty word as well as politically incorrect. . These hubs were approved by the FAA and to my knowledge they have not passed on disapproving them.,  Over 50 years they were great.  Only Hartzell which  has in the past shown profit over all else passed on that. 

Cody,  where is the future for propeller shops?  If Hartzell and McCauley have eliminated reusing hubs that pretty well does away with repairing props as it is not economically feasible to repair blades if ;necessary to buy new + / - $4000 for a hub.  blade repair + hub +overhaul = price of new prop. I understand there will still be a small market for overhauls but of the shops I have been involved with that is not enough to sustain.  wrong?    JerryP

13 hours ago, acpartswhse said:

ok  I understand  thanks much.  how much to reseal Mooney Hartzell and can you find a Rocket/Cessna 414 prop?

Jerry

Price depends on how Many blades the Mooney Hartzell prop has sticking out of it!

340/414 props are fairly easy to find, with the Ram conversion flooding the market with 500 series McCauley pull offs.

You will be looking for a C505 or C515 prop