There's a storm a comin' (Hurricane Matthew)

FloridaMan

What is everyone's plan if the storm heads our way here in Florida and the Southeast? I'm looking to move mine somewhere that has a cheap one-way back to Florida and would be more than happy to coordinate with other pilots if there's something I can do to make things more efficient. 

Hurricane Matthew

Edited by Antares

It has been moving at a snail's pace for days. I started to watch it around Thursday.  Keeping an eye on it in case it would collide with 60 Mooneys over Florida.

In the meantime, praying for cold temps (air or water). Hurricanes have difficulty staying organized over slightly cooler water and at night, or over land like Cuba and Haiti.

As usual, don't let your guard down.  Prepare like it is coming.

Best regards,

-a-

I plan to keep my plane in the hangar. Mine is in the middle of the row and have a row in front and behind. This helps in shielding from the winds. Most hangars that I have seen that failed during a hurricane are the ones at the end of a row and some with no hangar row in front or behind. Make sure that the hangar doors pins are set into the floor. This keep the door from getting push down.

Last time I toped off my M20J (100 gals) and used the fuel for my car and AC generator. Keep in mind that after the hurricane there is no fuel or electricity at the pumps. I flushed the toilets and shower with the swimming pool water.

José

20 minutes ago, gsengle said:

Also, does everyone know that most of our insurances policies will pay our expenses to move our airplanes out of harms way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'll need to read your policy for that. I think mine will pay up to $500, but my hangar ends to be in the forecasted area of impact. This one won't be a problem for me.

I have available hangars at 24J if anyone wants to come up. We usually don't get anything but a bunch of rain.

Maybe headed that way if it gets too close to Jacksonville. Hopefully not! I have little confidence in my Hangar specially the doors.

I visited Chicago, last time I dodged a hurricane.  

Got back to a giant pine tree laying across the lawn. Broke in half 10ft up from the ground.

Pick a city stay a couple of days.

Enjoy, send expense report to the insurance company following their directions.

Don't wait too long to depart.  IMC caused by hurricanes is crummy.  ATC has a tendency to send you the wrong way first while getting you in the system. (In the direction of the storm...):)

Best regards,

-a-

6 hours ago, thinwing said:

I had my hanger doors blown off there tracks my 65/70 gusting winds...had to jack em up and set rollers back on track

That is why at KFXE they added locking pins to the hangar doors. The pins are attached to the doors and get inserted into the ground when the door is closed. This keeps the door from moving sideways and jumping the tracks.

José

A microburst out of T-Storm damaged something like 20 hangar doors and a iron I-beam supported covered tie-down canopy at Deer Valley about 10 years ago.  There were locking pins attached to the doors which went into the ground.  But the hangar doors were just hung from the track above and there wasn't any piece that would prevent the doors from being blown in...which they did and damaged a number of planes.  After this incident, a metal working crew weld new stopper rails onto the beams to prevent the doors from being blown in.

I was one of those hangars.  My heart stopped for a minute after receiving the call from the airport that my hangar was damaged...and then started again when I realized my plane was out getting its annual. 

I am planning on making the decision later this morning based upon the updated track.  Unfortunately, that does not leave a lot of time to get back home for the family and to batten down the hatches at home. I think FXE was closed for a number of days after Wilma, and even FLL was closed for several days, so that will also make it challenging to get home after the storm if we get hit. 

Darn it.  I'love be heading the wrong way this weekend.   Was planning on flying down to Ft. Myers for the weekend (KFMY).   I'll have to watch the storm track and see if everything stays to the east of the gulf coast.  

So what's wrong with flying through a hurricane? Was I not supposed to do that?  Lol.  

For the record. This was not in the Mooney!  It was actually a really smooth flight.  The last 3000 feet to touchdown at Jax was quite a ride though.  

Were actually flying the Mooney to Florida this weekend.  Destin should have great weather!

IMG_5813.PNG

Edited by air cooled dad
  • Like 1