Garmin to Avidyne

KLRDMD

1 hour ago, KLRDMD said:

I just paid $13,300 for an Avidyne 540. Please tell me where you can buy a Garmin 750 for that price.

I paid $13,675 for my GTN 750, then got a Garmin rebate of $1,125.  So that makes it $12,550.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KLRDMD said:

I asked for a reference for a $13,300 Garmin 750 since you said it is the same price as an Avidyne 540. Instead I get a reply about $/pixel. Yes I disagree.

I haven't seen a Garmin 750 for $14,500 for a certified airplane. The best price I can find for a GTN750 for a certified airplane is $18,000.  Add in installation costs and the two are many thousands of dollars difference.

And the Avidyne is a better unit. No contest.

I don't know how you can say that with a straight face. On Garmin's website msrp is 16900$. Dealer cost is considerably lower, certainly not higher. Factor the rebates into the equation and your final out the door cost becomes even lower.

And this is strictly dollars, display area and pixels. We haven't gotten to which is the "better" unit. If you wish to discuss this we can. In order for the discussion to be a meaningful we need to talk about specific parameters that are measurable. What I offered you above with screen area and pixels are examples. There are many others.

1 hour ago, PTK said:

I don't know how you can say that with a straight face. On Garmin's website msrp is 16900$. Dealer cost is considerably lower, certainly not higher. Factor the rebates into the equation and your final out the door cost becomes even lower.

And this is strictly dollars, display area and pixels. We haven't gotten to which is the "better" unit. If you wish to discuss this we can. In order for the discussion to be a meaningful we need to talk about specific parameters that are measurable. What I offered you above with screen area and pixels are examples. There are many others.

Best I can tell both the units cost roughly the same amount- assuming you know the right installers/people (that's a whole different discussion).

to get the same features as a IFD, you have to buy a Flightstream 210, though.  Also, if you pick up an IFD on the cheap (salvage/used market), the install price won't kill you if you have a GNS already installed.  Ultimately, from my university of google research, to be talking apples to apples on capability: IFD540 is about $1000.00 cheaper than a GTN750 + Flightstream on the average. 

Personally- I think they are both overpriced.  Heck- all of GA is overpriced.  Since they both give you the ability to shoot a waas approach- which is the objective performance metric, the only thing left to debate is the interface.  That's subjective in nature, unless any of you are willing to do some REAL, UNBIASED research.  I can't- as I've said- I'm already biased in a collegiate research sense (as is PTK and maybe Don, based upon this thread string alone, and my assumption that neither have spent time flying behind an IFD). Personally I can't stand the Garmin interface and I don't like their tablet app either- it is not intuitive to me.  I like the avidyne interface better- but there are improvements that could be made there too.  

For the price these gps's cost- you'd think  they would cure cancer.  Sadly, all they do is connect to an iPad via wifi and shoot WAAS approaches.

to get back to where we started- the cost difference for the same functionality is about $1000 if you want the same features on both because you've got to add a wifi gateway to the GTN.  If you don't care about wifi then they cost the about same amount.

Edited by M016576
  • Like 1

Looks like some things that should be compared between the units when determining value are

1) software upgrades, functionality and cost.  Whether you dig exocentric 3D or not wouldn't be included but whether it's available standard would be included in the value calculus   

2) installation - cost   

3) terrain awareness - included or unlock

4) Jepp charts - included or unlock 

4) wireless connectivity - included or unlock

Everything else GUI wise is just window dressing and personal preference.  I'd like to see where these boxes actually differ in cost vs functionality.  

• Like 1

On 10/30/2016 at 11:48 AM, bradp said:

Looks like some things that should be compared between the units when determining value are

1) software upgrades, functionality and cost.  Whether you dig exocentric 3D or not wouldn't be included but whether it's available standard would be included in the value calculus   

2) installation - cost   

3) terrain awareness - included or unlock

4) Jepp charts - included or unlock 

4) wireless connectivity - included or unlock

Everything else GUI wise is just window dressing and personal preference.  I'd like to see where these boxes actually differ in cost vs functionality.  

We disagree. GUI is everything! It's what makes it a joy to use or a drag.

Bells and whistles are secondary window dressings utilized by some company or companies. Lipstick on their pigs to make them appear enticing and pretty. But they are still pigs that just don't sell well...with lipstick or without.

I'll buy whatever bells and whistles I want. Its presumptuous to think by throwing them on there will somehow entice me to buy your pig unit.

If Avidyne would offer a unit comparable to the Garmin they may find they don't need lipstick. 

3 minutes ago, PTK said:

We disagree. GUI is everything! It's what makes it a joy to use or a drag.

Bells and whistles are secondary window dressings utilized by some company or companies. Lipstick on their pigs to make them appear enticing and pretty. But they are still pigs that just don't sell well...with lipstick or without.

I'll buy whatever bells and whistles I want. Don't throw it in assuming it'll entice me to buy your pig unit.

Or your pig unit... that circle thing that Garmin does when you tap the screen drives me up a wall..... the display would be nice if I found the interface appealing.

mac vs pc, once you strip it all away: 2 ways to skin the same cat.

Disclaimer- I'm a known Garmin hater.