Tach problems G1000 M20R

buddy

I have a problem with the tach on my mfd, it started giving me erroneous readings on my last flight and finally X'ed out. I also have the screaming eagle 310 hp upgrade therefore a digital tach was installed and the digital tach works fine. Does anyone have a wiring diagram that may show me how this is all connected, it may just be a bad connection.

RPM is often picked up by a sensor on a Magneto.  It is possible the one sensor is a Hall effect transducer.(?)

If you still have this one expensive transducer it appears to be working.  Inspecting the wire from the transducer to the G1000 seems to Be next on the list.

You may gain some information by searching on tach rpm sensor.  I think there may be some other O's that have needed a replacement.

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

I don't have the wiring diagram handy, but I can tell you exactly where your problem is  (most likely).

The wimpy wire and its equally wimpy connector are at the top center of your engine compartment at the back of the engine. The main baffle that separates the engine from the firewall has a bundle of connections/wires that go through that baffle. You will discover that the wire that feeds your MFD is disconnected probably at that connector or darned close to it.

17 hours ago, buddy said:

I have a problem with the tach on my mfd, it started giving me erroneous readings on my last flight and finally X'ed out. I also have the screaming eagle 310 hp upgrade therefore a digital tach was installed and the digital tach works fine. Does anyone have a wiring diagram that may show me how this is all connected, it may just be a bad connection.

You have a G-1000 and a separate digital tach?  I got the upgrade to 310 with only the MFD tach.  Is your G-1000 set to M20R 3 now so that the MFD tach scales to higher RPM?  

Russ

The sensor is installed in the bottom of the right magneto on Continental engines, and it's common for the wires to be damaged where they enter the sensor. There is a connection on the aft engine baffle, which uses a fairly cheesy AMP connector with tin plated terminals. If you are lucky, this connector can be cleaned, and preserved with Stabilant 22. If not, check the magneto and be prepared to pay $1k for a new tach sensor. 

• Like 1

Thanks guys for all the help, it ended up being a broken wire in one of the 3 wires coming off the hall sensor. Must have had enough voltage to run one tach and not the other (MFD). To answer your question I have a 2005 m20r and I believe the 310hp STC in 2005 you needed to install a digital tach my MFD tach only goes to 2600 rpm.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, buddy said:

Thanks guys for all the help, it ended up being a broken wire in one of the 3 wires coming off the hall sensor. Must have had enough voltage to run one tach and not the other (MFD). To answer your question I have a 2005 m20r and I believe the 310hp STC in 2005 you needed to install a digital tach my MFD tach only goes to 2600 rpm.

I believe if you reset the G-1000 select Ovation 3 and the tach will scale properly.  Check with MSC.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know how to reconfigure my MFD on my Ovation 2 to an Ovation 3 so that my tach will scale to 2700 rpm? My guess is that when the 310 hp STC was done in 2005 Mooney did not have the updated software that is in it now therefore the STC required a separate digital tach be installed.

There is a statement scheduled to be coming out this weekend regarding the G1000 in Mooneys...

Will you be attending the Mooney Summit in FL?

There are a few updates that have been requested.  

Also, you don't have a Screamin' Eagle upgrade...   You have the Standing O upgrade! :)

Best regards,

-a-

On 10/09/2016 at 10:24 PM, markfoster7700 said:

I don't have the wiring diagram handy, but I can tell you exactly where your problem is  (most likely).

The wimpy wire and its equally wimpy connector are at the top center of your engine compartment at the back of the engine. The main baffle that separates the engine from the firewall has a bundle of connections/wires that go through that baffle. You will discover that the wire that feeds your MFD is disconnected probably at that connector or darned close to it.

Or that the wires from the magnetos are too tighten......