Flying to Dayton, OH

I'll be flying to Dayton, OH in a few days for a meeting at Wright-Patterson AFB. I'm planning to fly into I19.

Two questions:

1. My flight path takes me directly over Sporty's (Clermont Co I69). I've never been there before, but I've heard it's worth a stop if I've got some extra time. What do you guys think? Worth checking it out in person. If they've got a giant showroom full of stuff that's in there catalog, I could enjoy drooling over some aviation gadgets. 

2. Dayton has lots of aviation history. Any suggestions for aviation related must-see things in the area?

Two spots I'd like to say I've been there...  Sporty's and Aircraft Spruce...  My interest in flying was strengthened when I came across a catalog at some car service area...

Somebody posted a recent request for info regarding the Air Force museum around Dayton...

Is there something going on there lately?

Best regards,

-a-

Just now, carusoam said:

I'm guessing it's coincidence. I'll have to look at what hours the museum is open. That seems like the type of place I would want to spend a day in. I'm not sure I'll have that amount of excess time available.

Way back in the mid-80s I was doing business with the USAF.  We made a couple of visits to Dayton, and it was relatively easy to get a waiver to land our company Commander 500S at KFFO.  I guess that times have changed.  I miss those "good old days".

11 hours ago, AaronDC8402 said:

I'll be flying to Dayton, OH in a few days for a meeting at Wright-Patterson AFB. I'm planning to fly into I19.

Two questions:

1. My flight path takes me directly over Sporty's (Clermont Co I69). I've never been there before, but I've heard it's worth a stop if I've got some extra time. What do you guys think? Worth checking it out in person. If they've got a giant showroom full of stuff that's in there catalog, I could enjoy drooling over some aviation gadgets. 

2. Dayton has lots of aviation history. Any suggestions for aviation related must-see things in the area?

I flew in to Bativia this year.  

They wave you to parking directly in front of the shop.

Sporty's has a large modern showroom and anything you order from stock is delivered to the counter in minutes.  

11 hours ago, carusoam said:

Two spots I'd like to say I've been there...  Sporty's and Aircraft Spruce...  My interest in flying was strengthened when I came across a catalog at some car service area...

Somebody posted a recent request for info regarding the Air Force museum around Dayton...

Best regards,

-a-

They opened the 4th hangar Last month. This museum is amazing, plan to spend at least a couple of days. Check out the link below.

Landed at I19 just moments before "1964-M20E". Unfortunately didn't get to visit the museum this trip as we were getting our daughter set up for college at Wright State U. However, will be back in October. Shout out to "1964-M20E"! How cool is it to fly five states away and meet a fellow MSer. Here is a pic , 1967 and 1976 F model sisters.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/news/air-force-museum-to-open-new-408m-building/nrcLJ/

image.jpeg

• Like 2

I live in Dayton and am based at DAY. In addition to the Airforce Museum, the Wright Aviation Center at Carillon Park is worth checking out! https://www.daytonhistory.org/visit/things-to-see-do/wright-brothers-aviation-center/

They have the original 1905 Wright III flyer and a replica of the brothers bicycle shop. 

Huffman Prairie is also worth a stop. It's close to the base. This website lists a lot of other parks on the Dayton Aviation Trail. https://www.nps.gov/daav/index.htm

If your a steak lover, definitely check out The Pine Club. They have awesome steaks. Cash only though!  http://www.thepineclub.com

Let me know if you have any other questions. Enjoy you visit! 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, carusoam said:

Two spots I'd like to say I've been there...  Sporty's and Aircraft Spruce...

Best regards,

-a-

Sporty's is a nice stop, especially to check out Ram mounts in person. Used to live ~45 Mooney minutes from there; now I'm that distance from Spruce. Picked up a new Concorde today, anda few little things.

Waiting now for oil to drain from the filter. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mooneyman said:

If your a steak lover, definitely check out The Pine Club. They have awesome steaks. Cash only though!  http://www.thepineclub.com

Let me know if you have any other questions. Enjoy you visit! 

I used to travel to Dayton a lot, the company I worked for was based there.  The Pine Club was a favorite, especially since the company was paying.  In addition to not taking credit cards they also don't take reservations. I remember a story of one of the presidents showing up and a couple of the secret service guys came it to inquire about a quick table.  They were told the wait would be 45 minutes.  I believe they decided to wait. 

There is also a WACO museum about 20 miles up the interstate on a small grass strip.

39 minutes ago, N601RX said:

I used to travel to Dayton a lot, the company I worked for was based there.  The Pine Club was a favorite, especially since the company was paying.  In addition to not taking credit cards they also don't take reservations. I remember a story of one of the presidents showing up and a couple of the secret service guys came it to inquire about a quick table.  They were told the wait would be 45 minutes.  I believe they decided to wait. 

There is also a WACO museum about 20 miles up the interstate on a small grass strip.

The first George Bush had to wait for a table at The Pine Club. They still have a picture taken during his visit hanging inside. The same hostesses who told the secret service they would have to wait are still working there! Get there early to avoid the the wait or grab a martini and wait at the bar. The Pine Club burger is best deal in town for $12.75. 

WACO Field (1WF) is worth a visit if you don't mind a short drive. 

My trip to I19 and Dayton went well.

Avis will bring you a car up there if you need one.  You need to call the MAC Air Aviation main number a select AVIS to get them the number posted on the site didn't get me there.

The folks at Mac Air were nice.

I stayed at the La Quinta across the HWY from Wright University and it was nice.  WO Wrights bar and grill was pretty good place to unwind after flying and after a day a the Museum.

Yes make sure you go to all 4 hangars.  One day is not quite enough 1 and a half would be better.  There are many interesting experiential aircraft in there.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2016 at 9:33 AM, Chupacabra said:

They opened the 4th hangar Last month. This museum is amazing, plan to spend at least a couple of days. Check out the link below.

Landed at I19 just moments before "1964-M20E". Unfortunately didn't get to visit the museum this trip as we were getting our daughter set up for college at Wright State U. However, will be back in October. Shout out to "1964-M20E"! How cool is it to fly five states away and meet a fellow MSer. Here is a pic , 1967 and 1976 F model sisters.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/news/air-force-museum-to-open-new-408m-building/nrcLJ/

image.jpeg

Pretty neat to meet up and by coincidence this was not planned.

I did a lot of flying this past week with landings in LA, KY, OH and back to LA and 7 separate flights.

Our 2 older F models looked better than all the newer Cirrus 22s leaving that day:D but I may be a little biased.

I'm the tall one on the right behind the green and white Mooney :D

I made it to Dayton and back with less extra time than anticipated. Unfortunately, the engine developed a small issue a little prior to landing in Dayton (another thread started about that). I decided it was best to take advantage of the ideal weather today, and fly back home rather than sweat it through likely IMC tomorrow.

I19 was nice enough and very reasonable overnight tie down fees ($6/night). I'll plan to make another trip soon just to see the AF museum. Too much actual work on this work trip.