Will Samurai Husky Solo?

Yetti

One of the things Mrs. Yetti would keep telling me when I would say "If we had a plane we could make that or go there" was "You don't even have your license yet"

So this thread will be SM make it to solo thread.....

Well I know how he feels , I own a 231 and take my check ride next week and still have transition training to go thru and I know that's going to be a steep learning curve , kinda wish I would have bought a J tbh , you guys gave him great advice and I am glad he slowed down on his purches plans. Wish I would have asked as many questions as he did lol. But I hate to type.

• Like 5

26 you really need help. I have to admit some of the posts cause me to think about his training process doesn't seem to follow the steps I remember when I went through mine but he hasn't really been specific regarding his flights and that could be a clue too

• Like 1

I didnt even see this thread until now.....

I really dont know what you want me to do to prove im not a troll.... You can ask me anything about my training and i will answer it honestly.

i dont know if this helps, i dont think anyone would admit to some of those scores.... But on practice test 1 i messed up and hit end with 15 questions left. So it was kind of nice to pass without answering nearly 25% of the test. 

Also it appears i dont know how to read because I have 14.9hrs of total flight time. I added up the wrong columns in my flight book.

Capture.PNG

Edited by Samurai Husky
  • Like 2

Proves you can pass a standardized gov't test!:)

No ordinary troll would put in such an effort. :)

Following the logic...  Sam appears to be...

a) not a troll.

b ) dedicated and skilled troll.

c) learning all he can to get through the PPL stage.

d) really wants to fly to go somewhere far away.

------------------------

Have you found the history of navigation less than inspiring? VOR, ADF and DME...

Wait until you get to failure methods of vacuum instruments.  The AI indicates left while the DG indicates right. While these pieces of equipment are not in agreement, that is the hint of vacuum failure.  The electric gyro (TC) becomes your back-up device of record.

the technology lesson is just a bump in the road to get over.  Nice instrument panels have a pair of WAAS GPSs that also have VOR and ILS receivers on board...

----------------

What's the need for all of this?

It is too easy to end up in the wrong place.  Really intelligent Humans have proven this so many times...

This is why many of us go the next step with the IR.

The more you work on this stuff, less time is spent redoing things...  Take some time off to see how rust sets in.

Enjoy making headway...

Don't be disappointed when you have do certain things a second time.  You will remember what was challenging for a while. A decade later you will tell the new guy what it was. (Maintaining altitude during steep turns in a C152)

The number of steep turns I make now in a long body Mooney is probably similar to doing stalls.  Fun, but not something I do while traveling....

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

On 4/14/2016 at 5:51 PM, Marauder said:

an internet troll

What is an internet troll ?

I remember that one guy who wanted a airplane donated to his cause . Ok troll 

Someone looking for money or donation, troll

Someone looking for emails to sell stuff too . troll 

Someone wants a ride for no reason . ??? maybe 

The Hollywood acting dogs ???? troll vs idk?

Sammy has not crossed into these  areas. 

He is a new beginning flyer , that just happened to find a Mooney Owners site where we are all STILL as enthusiastic as he is.

Carl  

On 4/14/2016 at 5:51 PM, Marauder said: an internet troll

What is an internet troll ?

I remember that one guy who wanted a airplane donated to his cause . Ok troll 

Someone looking for money or donation, troll

Someone looking for emails to sell stuff too . troll 

Someone wants a ride for no reason . ??? maybe 

The Hollywood acting dogs ???? troll vs idk?

Sammy has not crossed into these  areas. 

He is a new beginning flyer , that just happened to find a Mooney Owners site where we are all STILL as enthusiastic as he is.

Carl  

There are all kinds of Internet trolls. They don't need to be asking for money or financial gain to be classified as a troll. Sometimes it is just posting behind a non-existent persona. Like those guys who run around in fake military attire -- aka Stolen Valor.

Or the Peter Garmin series. All in good fun since I think Peter gets joy out of taking the opposite position on things. And some of us, love giving it back to him.

For SH, I get the enthusiasm, but for a guy who hasn't even soloed yet, he is attempting to do a carrier landing and he doesn't even know what the ball looks like.

• Like 1

I think Sam is OK he has lots of enthusiasm and rightly so. I'm sure if I had known about this or any forums I would be asking lots and sometime showing my lack of experience and knowledge, heck I still do. I think he will succeed but as I have stated on the other thread he would get there faster and for a lot less money if he were doing it in a trainer. Who is going to set up the when will Sam solo pool. Put me down for May 21st.

• Like 1

may 12th! man maybe... it depends if i can keep these lessons up; But it looks like more bad weather is coming in next week.

I really need to figure out what i am doing wrong on landings. I probably know about 40% of my mistakes are rolling instead of yawing. So i would enter into level flight and be drifting off the center line so i would roll to correct. Then get yelled at because my wings weren't level. So i have to use the rudders; Up until now i hardly use them other than for keeping coordinated. This last time i saw my instructor land and he was completely un coordinated (slip landing); which goes against everything that was beaten into my head about staying coordinated.

The other part is because i am to anxious. I don't know how to wait for the drop to flare. I think its dropped, but it didnt and im still going to fast, so i end up ballooning. 

@Marauder

Kpao was the place with the best flying clubs and most recommended instructors. All of the other clubs looked like they were on their last legs. Had i know KPAO was such a challenging runway and had i known what i know now, I might have reconsidered. Not going to lie, I havent been able to put a plane down on that runway yet. I've gotten close once; I think if i can master that runway, i can master *almost* any runway..

But yes, i know what the ball is.  

• Like 1

A troll someone using a fake identity. I understand now

Sam , we are going to need pictures. Maybe in the pilot seat or with a famous personality. We all have to do this at one time or another .Here I am with the Parrot Wizard   

parrot wizzard.jpg

• Like 3

Sam I recommend wearing the same pants to each lesson and don't wash them in between. By the end of your training your instructor will want you out of the plane so badly he will want to put a DPE in the right seat instead so he can be done with you. 

It it may be too hard for any of us (especially those of us who are not CFIs) to try to Monday morning quarterback your landings unless we've flown with you.  

Maybe you can set up a GoPro and then you can review your flights to get an idea of what things went well and what could have gone better.  And if you're really stuck, post one on here and we can help you out.  The Canadian dude with the mutton chops recommends that you put two cameras in the cockpit to record so long as it's not a distraction. 

• Like 2

Hey Sam:

Have you ever even flown a traditional trainer type plane, C172, C152, PA28?  If so, I think most of us would like to know how that went.  If not, do you think you will explore that soon?  

You might find that the old beater trainer is good for your ego and your confidence.  Not to mention your wallet.

A troll someone using a fake identity. I understand now

Sam , we are going to need pictures. Maybe in the pilot seat or with a famous personality. We all have to do this at one time or another .Here I am with the Parrot Wizard   

parrot wizzard.jpg

Great recommendation Carl.

A group of us had lunch yesterday with the Parrot Wizard aka Stinky Pants aka 201er. Too bad you couldn't make it out.

17d43cb1cfde12121bc6be581be9135a.jpg

• Like 2

I asked about the camera because one of the things that my instructor lists on his page is that they record flights so that we can go over them. When i brought it up, he basically said it was too early for that. We will record once we get to the point where the obvious stuff is taken care of. 

I asked about switching to another plan already; the CFI agreed he would do it, but basically said that its not worth it right now. The amount of time spent on retraining in another plane will equal that of just continuing on.

From my perspective, not sure where to go with this. I feel like i am making a lot of progress, to the point where i can see what i am doing wrong, why i am doing it wrong and for the most part how to correct it. I think if i get to the point where i hit a wall, i will force the issue and ask to try the 172 or pa36.

Which might be coming pretty soon. The last lesson was the first lesson where i felt completely unsatisfied with my results; Not because of the plane or my instruction, but just general frustration at not being able to control the craft and a lack of understanding on why i was failing. I want to try a few things out and see how it goes in the next lesson on monday. If i get similar results then i will bring it up again. The weather is supposed to be much better.

From a cost perspective, the SR20 and the 172 rents at the same price.

Photo for proof. Oh and that smirk lasted for about 3 hours after the lesson :) 

(Just imagine someone famous in the right seat outside of view :P )

1.JPG

Edited by Samurai Husky
  • Like 1

Nice photo!

We have introductory flights for $100 out here.  You get a C172 and a CFI for about a half hour.  You get to set the program for what you would like to see.  Pick three things for the CFI to demonstrate to go with the take-off and landing.  In a half hour you can see how simple and safe a C152 really is for basic flying.

Worse thing that happens, you find your current situation is good for you. Chock the C152 experience up as experience gained in a lighter high wing aircraft.  Take good notes, you may not want to repeat that experience...

the highwing C152 really bounces around on windy days compared to the Mooney.

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Marauder said:

Great recommendation Carl.

A group of us had lunch yesterday with the Parrot Wizard aka Stinky Pants aka 201er. Too bad you couldn't make it out.

17d43cb1cfde12121bc6be581be9135a.jpg

Was this at orange county yesterday?  I was there with my mooney and did not get the invite....please put me on the list.....I saw an old C model like mine fly in...blue and white I think...

• Like 1