Hey all,

I've done a bunch of reading on the pros & cons of converting to AC vs DC and I'm biting the bullet and installing a Plane Power alternator kit. For those who have done this, is there anything you learned that would be good to know? My A&P and I are going to tear into the plane once the plane shows up today. 

The reason I chose to upgrade is my Delco-Remy generator started power spiking and couldn't handle the load of my 530w, boost pump, nav lights and beacon. I found that out once it started cycling the 530w. I fly XC IFR (both in VMC & IMC) so I figured I may as well do the upgrade now.

Edited by irishpilot
  • Like 1

AC vs DC?

12V vs 24V?

50A vs 70A?

Generator vs Alternator?

Sticks and stones voltage controller vs Zeftronics?

I'm still trying to understand the question...

Reading Bob's answer again, I think I get it now.

If short on cash and have a generator already... Stay with the Generator with an updated Zeftronics controller... 

If you have a few extra bucks... Go alternator with an updated controller...

Both the alternator and generator have low rpm issues. The alternator is slightly better...

The generator is slightly better if you have a completely dead battery and you intend hand prop (not recommended).

The Plane Power is a weight saving device.

Am I close?

-a-

Thanks for the input. Carusoam, I already ordered the alternator kit and am just looking at getting lessons learned on the install and how well it performs with modern avionics. My current system is 12V 50A generator and the conversion is the 12V 70A.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 via Tapatalk

Why not first pull the existing generator and replace with a refurbished unit from Spruce?  I have had ZERO issues with my replaced generator after also replacing voltage generator with Zeftronics unit.  A refurbished generator is chickenfeed and labor would be minimal.  Send your old unit for core.  I am over ten years without an issue since replacement.  The money saved bought a replacement co-pilot panel and voltage regulator.  EI.  My unit is charging on ground 14 volts if RPM is over 1250 in taxi.  I run my HID landing light ALL THE TIME.  15U, REALLY?  Best upgrade ever?  Really sexy there.  HID light, G3, updated yokes with electric vacuum disconnect, Accu-flite, Accu-Trak, 696, side-windows etc...ALL more sexy than an alternator conversion...Glad you got a zing out of installing that upgraded electric thing.  Did I mention Fuel Flow, Digital Tach, Clock/timer, New carpet, gear warning, headrests...O.K.  Alternator.  Got it.  Hey, I might need a new dishwasher.  Super excited about that.

Not a wish list.  A done list.  Just kidding.  There have been a lot of upgrades/maintenance that are absolutely necessary like brakes, flaps, scat hose, tank re-seal that were necessary, expensive and "improved the plane", but were about as glamorous as a dishwasher, dryer or water-heater in the home.  I put the alternator upgrade in "that" list vs. being "fun" quality stuff you enjoy.

Nothing worse than losing electronics in flight, I get that.  Just having a really solid experience with the old reliable generator in my vintage plane.  I apologize for having fun at your expense. 

No worries.  Just to clarify I said, "best money I ever spent on my M20D."  When I bought the plane it already had all the LASAR speed mods including the 201 windshield, recent paint & interior, 6-pack instruments, IFR GPS, engine monitor, and upgraded yokes.  I didn't have much to upgrade.  I spent a lot of time flying at night and the generator sometimes wasn't up to the task.  The alternator kit plus installation was under 1 AMU at the time for a high quality product.  So, for the quality of the product at the price point and the upgraded performance and reliability at night I was completely satisfied.

Other "big ticket" things I spent money on for the M20D were a new hub for the prop AD and a couple of new cylinders.  Neither of those produced any noticeable improvement in spite of the many AMUs invested.

• Like 1

I didn't keep the generator due to my personal preference to have newer technology. To buy a newer regulator with a refurbished generator was only saving me a few hundred in parts. I'm turning wrenches with my A&P so it was worth the extra effort. Almost finished!

Sent from my Galaxy S5 via Tapatalk

• Like 1

The generator to PP alternator conversion was the best money I ever spent on my M20D. The alternator supplies lots of power at low RPMs compared to the generator. 

+ 1 but mine is an E model

Edited by Ned Gravel
  • Like 1

My issue with the Generator was in taxi at night with the old sealed beam light.  IT WAS HORRIBLE AND UNSAFE.  The light required so much power draw while at taxi/low RPM it was the pits.  The HID light XEVision solved all those issues.  I have just never had an issue with "Power" on the generator with the new Zeftronics Voltage Regulator.  It just shows level charge at 13.9-14 volts and everything works as it should.  I like the simplicity of the generator.

Did the conversion on my M20C this annual (3 months ago). My generator was working just fine and frankly I questioned myself a few times if this conversion was truly necessary. My generator would typically kick in around 1500 RPM so for most ground ops I was on battery. I must say that it bothered me to see the electrical system discharging all that time, specially the times on IFR at busy airports where it took a long time to get in the air. Conversion went very smooth and my electrical system now happily charging for virtually all ground ops. Still have that generator if someone is interested. It was working just fine when it was removed.

Your A&P should know this but ensure that the belt  aligns alternator pulley  to big  ring gear (starter support assembly) it should align perfectly in all directions. I did my Plane power conversion 8 years ago  before Plane Power  had come out with  conversion kit. So I changed out the starter ring gear assembly  and the pulley for the alternator I believe is smaller diameter than  the generator and I think the generator belts are 1/2" wide where as the alternator 3/8" wide. In my case is the alternator belt length slightly shorter than the  common alternator belts in catalogs. Not really tricky but matching New Alternator's  circuit breaker to the existing aux bus bar circuit breaker took some creativity. Meaning if all circuit breaker are the  physical size  breakers  bus bar equal distant spacing  no problem. But when you are with dealing different  physical size circuit breakers you  need to have the access to the crimping tools  or come up alternate method to make the connections between the new alternator circuit breaker to rest of electrical bus. I have about 185  hrs on conversion  without any problems and save weight  in the process.

Good luck hope this helps,

James '67C

I have a Zef regulator and a 50amp generator charging Concord 35A.   it starts charging at about 1250rpm. The addition of all the low current accessories has been a game changer. Like Scott, I have an HID landing light pretty much negated the need for an alternator. The only reason I would still consider the change is to save weight. 6.3lbs is 6.3lbs.

Edited by Shadrach
  • Like 1

I did my 64E model not long after I bought it in 2010 the generator went out.  Work with the MX and did the work myself and he inspected signed it off and filed the 337.  Anyway best thing you could do for the plane.  Set the voltage to 13.9V, you do not need to replace the belt unless you really want to and you will gain a few pounds of useful load.

You do not need to replace the alternator circuit breaker unless you want to or for some reason need the full 70A capacity of the alternator.  The existing generator and CB is currently supplying all your loads.

I have a Zef regulator and a 60amp generator charging Concord 35A.   it starts charging at about 1250rpm. The addition of all the low current accessories has been a game changer. Like Scott, I have an HID landing light pretty much negated the need for an alternator. The only reason I would still consider the change is to save weight. 6.3lbs is 6.3lbs.

+1.  All the "best money spent" "best I ever did for the plane" mantra wins.  We are a couple traditionalists in a sea of money spenders for the sake of spending money.

Why change if their is zero problem?  Is an upgrade an upgrade when there is little perceived benefit except a small wight savings?  How many field wire threads of alternator failure have I read?  More than I have read regarding Generator problems.  Do what you want.  So will I, but stop with the marketing phrases.  Just the facts in my Dragnet voice.

+1.  All the "best money spent" "best I ever did for the plane" mantra wins.  We are a couple traditionalists in a sea of money spenders for the sake of spending money.

Why change if their is zero problem?  Is an upgrade an upgrade when there is little perceived benefit except a small wight savings?  How many field wire threads of alternator failure have I read?  More than I have read regarding Generator problems.  Do what you want.  So will I, but stop with the marketing phrases.  Just the facts in my Dragnet voice.

Aviation in itself is an exercise in spending money for the sake of spending money! So perhaps we are just pragmatists trying to reconcile and rationalize our love of an impractical hobby. Thanks to all of you that make me feel conservative about my aviation budget (you know who you are)

I fly for fun mostly with 4-6 "practical" trips a year (>400nm). I've a son on the way that will be born in mid January, I'm in the early stages of starting a business...having 100s of $1000s tied up in a plane worth dimes on the dollar would not make me feel good about owning or flying said plane. My aircraft does what I enjoy, which is carry all I need at 150kts while sipping fuel. Shooting AP coupled approaches down to minimums might be in my future, but not in a Mooney; by then there will hopefully be more money and I'll be surfing the Conquest or King Air forums (Barons if I have to slum it and buy a recip twin).:D