Pre-purchase inspection?

fire11

I've got my eye on an M20F and wonder where you guys would recommend doing a pre-buy inspection?  What should I expect to pay and how long do they typically take?  How do you typically work this out with the seller?  I wouldn't buy a 50-year old plane without one and want to be sure I'm getting a fair deal and not something someone needs to unload.  Any advice or recommendations for who to use or who to avoid? I've already contacted Maxwell but wonder if there are others I should contact also.

• Thanks 1

I'm hearing Maxwell loud and clear and they were my first thought as well.  As I've not heard back from them since the weekend, I'm wondering if anyone knows how much their inspections typically run and how long they typically take?  I want a good pre-buy for an F with a "recent annual" so I can know whether I want anything to do with it.  I know there's some damage in its history and want to make sure I know its health.  Any thoughts?  I don't want to cut corners but just haven't done this before and want to know what I'm in for.

Get your PPIs quoted with an option of turning it into a full annual...

If this makes sense. It really helps if you are there to see how things really are.

If you get it open and cobwebs and dust fall out or rubber bits and oil drips...you may not want to proceed.

If you get it open and all the rubber hoses have been replaced, the sheet metal is clean from day one...you may want to proceed.

I did the $600 PPI on my 45 yr old C. One day. Less cost. More risk... I was present.

I did the 2AMU DMax PPI on my 15yr old R. A few days. More cost. Less risk... I was somewhere else.

My thoughts shared,

-a-

• Thanks 1

I'm hearing Maxwell loud and clear and they were my first thought as well.  As I've not heard back from them since the weekend, I'm wondering if anyone knows how much their inspections typically run and how long they typically take?  I want a good pre-buy for an F with a "recent annual" so I can know whether I want anything to do with it.  I know there's some damage in its history and want to make sure I know its health.  Any thoughts?  I don't want to cut corners but just haven't done this before and want to know what I'm in for.

Last time I used Don for a PPI (1.5 years ago) on a J, he charged 1/2 of his base annual price of 1800 or $900 at that time. Once the PPI is finished, he would allow you the option of completion of an annual for the second 1/2 of the fee. Don's guys will concentrate on show stoppers during the PPI and advise you of the condition of repairs etc.  

I am not speaking for Don, but speaking as a highly satisfied customer and agent for many customers. You might be able to save a couple of hundred on a PPI, but you wont get a better one at any price. Figure a couple of days to do, and you will need to schedule it with Don.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'd recommend the mechanic you plan to use to take care of the airplane. What Don Maxwell says is airworthy won't amount to a hill of beans if your guy disagrees.

Typically it's the other way around when you're talking about the "other" A&Ps signing stuff off as "airworthy"

If it's all about getting "your guy" to agree, this whole thing is entirely subjective and there is no definition of airworthy

• Like 1

Hearing Don is well known, I would assume he charges a little bit more than your local mechanic, but I would not hesitate to spend it. I've got a pre-buy on a M20D I'm looking at this weekend with a Mooney mechanic and he's quoted me $800 and said it would take about 4-6 hours.

That's not a lot of time to accomplish a prebuy on a Mooney.

I'm hearing Maxwell loud and clear and they were my first thought as well. As I've not heard back from them since the weekend, I'm wondering if anyone knows how much their inspections typically run and how long they typically take? I want a good pre-buy for an F with a "recent annual" so I can know whether I want anything to do with it. I know there's some damage in its history and want to make sure I know its health. Any thoughts? I don't want to cut corners but just haven't done this before and want to know what I'm in for.

Don is pretty busy and spent a week at OSH to help out with Mooney. Schedule ahead if you can.

+ for Don he did my prepurchase (as an annual) and other work. I did my deal with All American and we split the annual cost and they paid for anything airworthy or had the option to cancel the contract and give me my deposit back. Worked out great and highly reccomend their services as well.

• Thanks 1

I called Mr. Maxwells shop this Monday and will be taking a J there to have a ppi on or around the 17th. The lady I talked to said they spend about 10 hours on their prebuy. I didn't ask about price because I plan on a full annual if the prebuy goes well.

• Like 2

I T/W Mr. Maxwell last week on a F PPI. The price he quoted is fair and as previously mentioned, he rolls it into an annual if you want him to. Being brand new to the Mooney scene, I look forward to meeting with him and going through the process. With respect to him, I refrain from quoting his price in the open.

Rich Miller

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1