Tailwheel Endorsement

Today I finished my Tailwheel endorsement.  What a hoot!  With thousands of hours flying everything from C-150's to SuperCub on straight floats, to fighters, I can't remember ever having so much fun trying to learn a new skill.  I have a new found respect for tailwheel aircraft and their pilots!  Proud to be part of the club!

• Like 10

Congrats by the way. For someone of your experience to go get it and have fun doing so is awesome. Well done George. Navy pilots already have big calves to go with their big....so you are good.

edit...or should I say Naval Aviators? Were you Marine Corp or Navy?

Today I finished my Tailwheel endorsement.  What a hoot!  With thousands of hours flying everything from C-150's to SuperCub on straight floats, to fighters, I can't remember ever having so much fun trying to learn a new skill.  I have a new found respect for tailwheel aircraft and their pilots!  Proud to be part of the club!

What did you get your endorsement in?

George,

Is it an endorsement to your licence or a check on type? In Canada it's not an endorsement.

Clarence

George,

Is it an endorsement to your licence or a check on type? In Canada it's not an endorsement.

Clarence

Like my Complex and High Performance endorsements, they exist on a page at the back of my logbook, which has since become Logbook #1. It lives at home now; Logbook #2 is sometimes at home, or in the truck, the hangar or sometimes even in the plane. Nothing on my license, or even in FAA records.

Congrats George!

I went partners in a tailwheel AeroTrek a few months ago. It's a different kind of landing and ground handling, eh?

The AeroTrek is an especially light plane and I find 3-point landings difficult in it. I do mostly wheel landings but I'm practicing the 3-point'ers.

This thing is a hoot!

post-6965-0-84047700-1438505719_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Thanks for all the kind words!  I did in on a friend / coworker's RV-6.  He's a great instructor with loads of tailwheel time.  Endorsement was a simple sign off in my logbook.  Lastly Navy all the way, although I do have a couple of close friends who are Marine Pilots.

Dave I was checking out the AeroTek at Sun and Fun.  It looks like a lot of fun!

• Like 1

Congrats George!

You now know this, but for everybody else:

Once you fly taildraggers, you become a better pilot in any aircraft. I think your feet get a new education and they continue to be smarter no matter what you are flying. Your feet perform better without even thinking about it. It's hard to explain, and lots of pilots think they have already smart feet, but there is nothing like flying a tail plane to get you brain to feet and feet to brain connection straightened out.

When I fly with other pilots in tricycle gear, I can immediately tell if they have been flying taildraggers. No question, and no exceptions.

I spent last weekend with my former business partner. He has been a private pilot flying tricycle gear planes for decades. For the past twenty years he has been flying a Piper Saratoga. A while back he purchased a Stearman ( a really nice aircraft and his has been completely refurbished like factory new) and has now mastered the tail wheel. I gave him a flight review in the Saratoga, and the difference in his stick and rudder skills was incredible.

I highly recommend all pilots to go get some tail training.

And yes, I got to fly the Stearman. Nice!

• Like 1

A gentle reminder that not too many years ago, virtually all primary trainers were "conventional gear". There was no such thing as a tail wheel endorsement since anyone who could fly could fly either a nose, or tail dragger. ( You don’t need a tailwheel endorsement if you’ve already logged pilot-in-command (PIC) time in a tailwheel airplane prior to April 15, 1991)

It seems that a mystique has built up around the conventional gear. (Ooooooo, a taildragger!)

In my opinion, there is no reason to be apprehensive, or reticent to go fly such. It is "different", but it isn't difficult. A tail-dragger isn't "more difficult", but the manufacturers keep making tricycle easier.

• Like 1

N6719N is correct about flying skills attained in tailwheel aircraft. They're not that tough, but you have to full stall it from an inch above the ground pointing straight down the runway and not drifting. Once acquired that's a skill that will save wear and tear on any airplane and teaches you to land precisely. Additionally it teaches speed and energy control in the approach and landing which are really important to avoid porpoising in our Mooneys. I'm absolutely certain that learning to fly in a tailwheel has helped me in my Mooney.

Gary

• Like 2

Simply put, tail wheels make landings fun and challenging at the same time.  The "final exam" for my tail wheel endorsement was to switch back and forth from one main gear to the other down the runway (wheel landing, of course).  You really learn the art of the flare and to manage energy in ground effect in tail draggers.         

You can conduct flight training in an experimental, just not for compensation or hire.   My instructor didn't charge me anything as we are friends.  I'm not sure if sharing a six pack at the hanger after the last flight was complete counts?  :ph34r:

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgFar.nsf/FARSBySectLookup/91.319

• Like 2

If sharing a six pack at the hanger becomes considered legal compensation, I am in BIG trouble!

Can you imagine all the 1099's we would all have to file?  That might overload and end the IRS right there...hmmmmmmm Lightbulb!  :ph34r: