Paint scheme for a 1966 m20e

deanders

I'm new to your web site. I've recently bought 66 m20e and am in the process of restoring it. She has sat over the last three years so the current annual is very through. I plan on painting it in a couple of months.

The S/ N is 833. I have found documents showing the last 1965 S/ N was 831 so mine should be a 1966. However the title shows it as a 1965. This matters since I plan on painting it with the same scheme it had out of the factory. I've attached a photo of the scheme that is supposed to be the 1966 scheme. Can anyone confirm or deny this.

The blue photo is 66, the yellow and red is 65 and 42Q in mine.

Thanks for your help

post-14040-0-89876000-1438051812_thumb.j

post-14040-0-18691400-1438051867_thumb.j

post-14040-0-40849800-1438051902_thumb.j

One nice thing about the vintage scheme: the designs were great, but we can now update it to more appealing colors in the same design.

My plane has a very unique design, although someone here has it in the Left Coast done in blues instead of burgundies. I've been told the helicopter at the end of True Lies has my exact paint scheme.

The other neat thing about painting your plane is that you can make it something that YOU like, and who cares about the rest of us?

• Like 1

The brown, orange and beige one is similar to my 1965 M20C.

There are some small differences to the stripes and numbers though.

It may take some extra effort to get it exact.

One place that is helpful, there are always original Ads on eBay that may show you different paint schemes over the years from different flying magazines.

If you want information about the colors, they can be found in the original maintenance manuals from back in the day. Not too much detail, though...

Welcome aboard,

-a-

At least Avocado Green and Mustard Yellow are from the 70s, while your plane is from the 60s! Be thankful for small favors . . . But some of those designs look good in shades of red, "normal" green or blue instead.

Wow Steve, great job!  I like the old style with a personal touch way better than a new style paint job on an old plane. 

Deanders, Welcome!  I have a 66 M20E with original paint and will be redoing it soon too.  My serial is high 1200s (don't remember exactly). The current paint looks like yours but a different color.  I plan to use the original scheme as a starting point but modify it a little.  Attached is a picture of it when I bought it and what I'm thinking of doing to it.  I'll also probably sloppily paint some nose art or at least a name on it too.  I love my Mooney, but as Steve said; it's an airplane not a holy relic. 

post-8679-0-94494700-1438104738_thumb.jp

Wow Steve, great job!  I like the old style with a personal touch way better than a new style paint job on an old plane. 

Deanders, Welcome!  I have a 66 M20E with original paint and will be redoing it soon too.  My serial is high 1200s (don't remember exactly). The current paint looks like yours but a different color.  I plan to use the original scheme as a starting point but modify it a little.  Attached is a picture of it when I bought it and what I'm thinking of doing to it.  I'll also probably sloppily paint some nose art or at least a name on it too.  I love my Mooney, but as Steve said; it's an airplane not a holy relic.

THAT is not even close to your original scheme...and it is pretty awesome!