Milestones

That's a great Milestone. 500 hours and 200 in your Mooney.

I hit 1000 last year and it felt very rewarding. I'm looking forward to the next 1000 just like your looking forward to the next 500.

I can't believe I've owned the Missile longer than my F at this point!

-Seth

• Like 2

Congrats! We're all "movin' on up!"

I hit a milestone earlier this year, too, going to annual. Finished my first logbook (with 696 hours, 598 in Mooneys, 74 night and 35 Actual IMC). Bought the Mooney in June 07, finished Instruments in April '10. Lots of VFR XC, including round trip to Yellowstone (still my longest trip, started with 179 hours, returned with 204 total).

Thanks for starting this. Flipping through the logbook has been fun! Oooooh, need to check my new one, I'm coming up on 1000 landings if I haven't missed it. I'm only two pages into the new book, ended the first with 770 day and 117 night.

Fly safe, now, ya'll!!

• Like 3

Wow!!  It looks like I am not the one with the least experience in a Mooney.  Closing in on 900 hours with almost 740 in my own E model. Maybe hit the 1,000 hour mark in the next year or so.

When I was practicing law, I had an older lawyer talk about the difference between 10 years experience and 1 year experience 10 times.

I have about 1100 hours, but most of this was on cross country trips. I have a lot of confidence in my flight planning ability, reasonable confidence in my weather avoidance ability, but I still do not consider myself a "good pilot", in the sense of making the plane do exactly what I want it to do under all maneuvering conditions. I'm still working on it.

• Like 5

Owned my J since late 08' and have put 1000 of my 1200 hours in it. It's comfortable, like an old pair of jeans. It's nice knowing where all of the knobs, buttons and switches are without looking and knowing what's normal and what's not. I've been debating getting a larger plane and am dreading the process if I go through with it. I like knowing my aircraft like I do.

• Like 1

I hope my children and future grandchildren (please) enjoy looking at some of my comments in my logbook after I am gone. They were a part of a lot of the joy that the Mooney and general aviation have provided. 693 total and over 550 in my Mooney. Looking forward to 1000 hours in a few years! Good for you all that have already achieved it and more. 889 landings. Closing in on 1000

• Like 1

Congrats! We're all "movin' on up!"

I hit a milestone earlier this year, too, going to annual. Finished my first logbook (with 696 hours, 598 in Mooneys, 74 night and 35 Actual IMC). Bought the Mooney in June 07, finished Instruments in April '10. Lots of VFR XC, including round trip to Yellowstone (still my longest trip, started with 179 hours, returned with 204 total).

Thanks for starting this. Flipping through the logbook has been fun! Oooooh, need to check my new one, I'm coming up on 1000 landings if I haven't missed it. I'm only two pages into the new book, ended the first with 770 day and 117 night.

Fly safe, now, ya'll!!

Hank, you and I are neck and neck on total time and landings :-) the race is on to see who gets 1000 1st!

I hope my children and future grandchildren (please) enjoy looking at some of my comments in my logbook after I am gone. They were a part of a lot of the joy that the Mooney and general aviation have provided. 693 total and over 550 in my Mooney. Looking forward to 1000 hours in a few years! Good for you all that have already achieved it and more. 889 landings. Closing in on 1000

Many years ago, I developed a close friendship with an aspiring professional pilot that I tried to mentor who always completed his logbook with a very descriptive detail of each flight without regard for how many lines on the page it consumed.  At the time, I thought this a useless exercise as it wasted time, would appear unprofessional, would complicate examination of the log by a potential employer and might potentially volunteer some evidence of an unintentional (or not so) violation.  

When I bought my Mooney and started flying after a long hiatus, however, it precipitated a want to review some of the "old days" and formative experiences when I was learning to fly and instructing others.  I've found that I wish I had been more like my anal-retentive friend and recorded, if only for that posterity for my own review, the details and essence of those flights rather than the mere facts with a brief notation of who the student or crew was. 

I started simple new logbook when I got a BFR after eight years without flying and have since recorded over the last couple of years not only the relevant information to demonstrate recency of experience and compliance but the little details which make each flight unique.  I've no one who would care but it may color a memory or two as the 'ol bean is failing and I'm trying to grope ugly nurses at the old folks home while awaiting rendering into Soylent Green.        

• Like 5

I agree, it is great to have a detailed log of what you did in every flight. I enjoy reading through my logbooks and remembering where I was and what I did. I am looking forward to my 2000 hour! Now, the only problem I have is the small space for remarks... it is always hard to write something in there (at least with my bad handwriting...). So the solution I found is with the electronic logbooks.. you can write as much as you want and it is easily readable.

• Like 1

I have started adding more details about the reason for the trip.  I even put smiley faces :)  in there for really good things.  Why not it's your log book.  It's a journal of your flights where you went what you did while you were there.

Trips to go see grand kids when they were born, birthdays, get a new dog, meeting conventions, work whatever.

Ah, those significant milestones in the life of a pilot.

Soloing.

First Cross Country.

First airplane.

Hitting 500 hours in the logbook.

Hitting 1000 hours.

Acquiring the "corrective lenses required" designation after your medical exam!

:D