Ground fog moves in and a VFR ILS becomes an ILS to minimuns

Oscar Avalle

Guys, on Monday I was flying my usual practice instrument flight in early morning. To my surprise what was going to be a simple practice IFR flight to enjoy the view (first video) became an ILS approach to minimums due to ground fog that moved in (Second video). Up to 5700 feet MSL (800 agl) everything was fine, I could see the ground and forward visibility was ok, then ground fog started to move in and 5500 it turned IMC and broke out at 5100 which was exactly at minimums. It does not look as dramatic as I am describing it here, but if you are mentally not prepared for it...you have to change plans and make sure that you are ready for a missed...

After I landed fog became even worse and they even closed the airport for 1 hour for commercial flights...

Enjoy.

Oscar

https://youtu.be/mZwGYPbNeVM

https://youtu.be/XncMLVackZo

• Like 9

Really enjoy your videos Oscar, your panel looks great perhaps good enough for Marauder to take notice.  thank you for sharing your experience

Well Maurader has by far the best panel. I would love to get a second ASPEN in there too... but it just does not make any sense.

• Like 1

Well Maurader has by far the best panel. I would love to get a second ASPEN in there too... but it just does not make any sense.

You're too kind. I love your panel and any of the older planes with upgraded panels. I got another addition coming soon...

Smaller than a bread box... But larger than a box of matches...  :D

Finally going to rid myself of an ongoing problem...

How very cryptic of you . . . Would that box of matches be the little pocket box of 20 or so, or the large box I keep in the kitchen drawer that holds several hundred? One could well be AoA, the other a 406 ELT, but only the latter could cure an ongoing problem (unless you keep scaring yourself in the pattern?). With dual Aspens, I don't think you need a new GPS . . .