Mooney down?

jbs007

I'm at a loss, and this has been bothering me all weekend since I read the post of this sad news. What's upsetting is the lack of interest in this tragic event. In my short time here on Mooney Space when there has been an accident that takes life there is an almost unrelenting flow of best wishes for family and friends as well as a spirited discussion of what might have happened. Have we become callous to this occurrence or is it because it happened way out west no one pays it any mind. Hmm a Mooney down that's too bad does anyone know the best way to tighten this screw on my... We lost another pilot one that shared a passion for not only flight bur Mooney flight. I'm at a loss why no one seems to care enough to at least send condolences. I have searched for more information but there isn't much out.

I think it is the lack of information given in the reports so far. Hard to personalize it without a face or some sort of connection beside a plane in common. It is reported more like a common car crash than what we are used to with a plane crash. I don't know if they are male or female or have family. Never the less condolences to the survivors.

I'm at a loss, and this has been bothering me all weekend since I read the post of this sad news. What's upsetting is the lack of interest in this tragic event. In my short time here on Mooney Space when there has been an accident that takes life there is an almost unrelenting flow of best wishes for family and friends as well as a spirited discussion of what might have happened. Have we become callous to this occurrence or is it because it happened way out west no one pays it any mind. Hmm a Mooney down that's too bad does anyone know the best way to tighten this screw on my... We lost another pilot one that shared a passion for not only flight bur Mooney flight. I'm at a loss why no one seems to care enough to at least send condolences. I have searched for more information but there isn't much out.

Ummm... holiday weekend??? Not everybody stays glued to MooneySpace 24/7/365. First I've seen of this thread.

However, you're right. Many of us are likely jaded and callous. I know I am. After you have been on airplane forums for a decade and read the Nall report every year, you come to realize that on average one person dies in a GA crash every single day of the year. The news media likes to sell advertizing with it, so we hear about nearly every single one of these fatalities.

It's just a reality. What we choose to do as a hobby, pastime, passion, or even profession is not one of the safer things we could do in life. The drive to the airport and back is about 200% safer. Truth is, that crumpled wad of aluminum in those pictures could be any one of us on the very next flight. Please, nobody here over estimate your skills, your airplane's reliability or get complacent. When you break the surly bonds, there is a tax collector searching for you. Stay sharp.

Having said all that, my condolences to the family and RIP fellow Mooniac. My sympathies to all that grieve due to this accident.

• Like 1

I agree, maybe it's just lack of knowledge about the event? The coverage and gossip other accidents get is nuts. Maybe we are all numb to it. It stinks that there is more info on 5 goofballs that all live in a Mooney wreck than a signal fatality. Those that do everything wrong still get the chance to tell a story. This could have been this guys only mistake.

I know for myself, Its hard to justify aviation as profession when so may are cavalier about it. It's one of the only hobbies I know of that demands a professional attitude.

Hopefully, some light can be seen during this investigation.

-Matt

• Like 1

Callous?. Other than wishing there family, friends etc all of which we don't no, what do you expect us to do, say...show respect and pray God takes care of them and there loved ones, I don't even see a hint of callous in this statement, we have a dangerous hobby and job for some..even if I throw in the towel the only life saved may be mine unless I of course get into an auto accident. I believe we're date stamped and we're going no matter ..but with all the nice things stated by all for each event I don't see any callous.. When mike survived his mishap we all wished him a fast speedy recovery from the heart at least from mine ..how does that make me callous...

My flying is not a hobby. I use the aircraft primarily to travel in a 2-3 hour "Mooney-time" radius of home. I am a VFR pilot that knows my plane and doesn't take unnecessary chances with weather. I have had a lot of great weekends because of my Mooney.

I say F.U. to your judging others. Judge yourself. I will respond with my thoughts on another thread regarding my wishes...NOT this one. Callous? Look in the mirror...

Maintain, Train you and your plane. Statistics are just that. You can put the "odds in your favor". Holiday traffic vs. 6500 feet in my plane in VFR weather? I will take my Mooney thank you very much.

• Like 1

I certainly wasn't judging I was asking the question as I watched over the weekend hoping for more information and saw almost nothing and based on other accident response I found it to be odd that almost nothing was said. I view the pilot population in high regard and when one is lost its a big loss.