Request PIREP on Aspen EA100

Has anyone got any direct experience of the EA100, preferably on a longbody with a KFC/KAP150. I'm considering pulling the trigger on one myself so I can junk the two vacuum pumps and associated plumbing, as well as the KI256. 

I've heard some people had a few pitch problems with the units, and like the PFD, the early units seem to have been somewhat unreliable, but there seems to be little recent experience. Now I've got to go to the $$$$$ gadget shop to get my radios sorted out, this would be an opportunity to get it all done in one visit

I contacted the Aspen rep just last week about concerns over longer body aircraft having an oscillation during descent with the Aspens  He informed me that this issue has been fixed with a software update.  The oscillations had something to do with the EA100 unit operating at a faster rate than the analog KFC150 units so the autopilot was playing catch up all the time leading to the oscillation.  He told me once they slowed the EA100 unit down it alleviated the oscillations.  The fix has been available for a couple of months now.  At least this is how I understood what he told me, but I would contact your Aspen rep for further detail.

Thanks Todd. I was hoping to find someone who had actually installed one rather than just taking the company's word for it, as according to the salesman it will make me tea too! I was considering keeping the KI256 and vacuum system and having a switching unit put in for a length of time so as to be above to 'prove' the EA100 as well as have a backup, but it seems this will add an AMU or so to the install, which I feel is a rather a lot for something I want to rip out anyway

Thanks Todd. I was hoping to find someone who had actually installed one rather than just taking the company's word for it, as according to the salesman it will make me tea too! I was considering keeping the KI256 and vacuum system and having a switching unit put in for a length of time so as to be above to 'prove' the EA100 as well as have a backup, but it seems this will add an AMU or so to the install, which I feel is a rather a lot for something I want to rip out anyway

Check with Brett (bnicolette). He has one in his Baron.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk