KFC 150 and Electric Trim Issues

hnorber

Hi All:

I'm having some serious issues with my KFC 150 and my electric trim and I'm wondering if anyone here can provide some insight?  

Some time ago, the malfunction alarm started chiming randomly on the unit even when the autopilot was not engaged (it sounds like the automatic disconnect alarm, but it continues indefinitely).  Sometimes I could get it to stop by pressing the test button in flight, but it would typically start up again in a few minutes.   

After this happened a few times, I pulled the circuit breaker for the Auto Pilot, and noticed that my electric trim was also inop. No big deal, but when I later reset the breaker, my auto trim seemed to move slowly, and uncommanded (slightly scary, but the movement was slow enough to control and pull the breaker again if necessary), then seemed to move in reverse for a short moment (a bit more scary, mostly because of the confusion that it caused) and then the rocker switch for the trim seemed to shut off by itself (I think the rocker switch itself is a breaker?  Pls excuse my ignorance on that point).

I'm currently overseas and can't continue to trouble shoot for about another week, but thought that the knowledge bank of this group was the best place to start.  Would very much appreciate hearing from anyone with thoughts on what the issue might be, or how I might best go about figuring it out/solving it!

BTW - I'm located in Chicago (KPWK) -- so if anyone has a good recommendation for an avionics shop close by, I would also greatly appreciate that (I've used Waukegan Avionics for a few things in the past, and they seem to be good, but pricey -- although I think that may be a common trait of avionics shops?).

Thanks

-Howard

Try the simple things first.

The yoke trim switch may be gummy or sticky. Spray contact cleaner on it.

Pull the A/P from the panel rack an spray contact cleaner on the contacts.

From below the left side panel check the wires coming from the yoke shaft for chafing or loose connection.

José

• Like 1

OMG, my autopilot just started doing the same thing as stated by the original post in this thread....that is to say I get the continual beeping.  Always happens within two minutes after takeoff...usually just pressing the "test" button restores functionality...sometimes I have to do it twice.  Please keep us posted as to what you discover...I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't something very simple as Jose mentioned.

I did have my yoke trim switch work intermittently...and spraying contact cleaner on it did cure that problem.  But now a new problem of the failure beeping is occurring regularly....