Yoke Mount for IPad Mini

Harald

I would to fix my Ipad mini (in the Ram Mounts EZRoller Cradle) to the steering tube, but leading the arm below the yoke plate. Is there anybody who can indicate the part nos. of the elements needed? Is the standard arm long enough or is the 6" needed? Does the new claw piece fit? Or is the standard yoke mount better? Do I need two arms and the double ball connector?

Thanks for quick replies

I would to fix my Ipad mini (in the Ram Mounts EZRoller Cradle) to the steering tube, but leading the arm below the yoke plate. Is there anybody who can indicate the part nos. of the elements needed? Is the standard arm long enough or is the 6" needed? Does the new claw piece fit? Or is the standard yoke mount better? Do I need two arms and the double ball connector?

Thanks for quick replies

I have tried a number of different combinations of Ram mounts to eventually lead me to this:

f4d81521595ecb7530d2ea413cff864e.jpg

7d5196711dc308f16167fce002e6f01c.jpg

b920c47e9469670cde727d868b6822e3.jpg

There is a thread around here where I posted the part numbers. If you are interested in this setup, let me know and I will try to find that thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

That setup works but can't be easily removed (without tools).

I went the other way utilizing the aluminum yoke mount and their medium length arm extending "underneath" the yoke. I run this setup with an iPad Air on the left side and and iPad Mini on the right side for my wife. Works great and keeps the whole panel visible. I'll attach a couple of pics showing the Air mounted and the Mini side unmounted; sorry no close-ups of the mount.

The Ram part numbers for the mini parts are:

RAM-B-201U (arm)

RAM-HOL-AP14U (holder)

RAM-B-121BU (yoke clamp)

RAM-B-202-U (base)

They have a similar "kit" (part no. RAM-B-121-AP14U) but I believe it has the shorter arm which won't work well with the under-yoke mounting approach. And be sure to get the aluminum yoke clamp (should be the number above if I'm not mistaken). They do sell a plastic one too.

Cnoe

post-11273-0-13933700-1434552655_thumb.j

post-11273-0-62587300-1434552666_thumb.j

That setup works but can't be easily removed (without tools).

I went the other way utilizing the aluminum yoke mount and their medium length arm extending "underneath" the yoke. I run this setup with an iPad Air on the left side and and iPad Mini on the right side for my wife. Works great and keeps the whole panel visible. I'll attach a couple of pics showing the Air mounted and the Mini side unmounted; sorry no close-ups of the mount.

The Ram part numbers for the mini parts are:

RAM-B-201U (arm)

RAM-HOL-AP14U (holder)

RAM-B-121BU (yoke clamp)

RAM-B-202-U (base)

They have a similar "kit" (part no. RAM-B-121-AP14U) but I believe it has the shorter arm which won't work well with the under-yoke mounting approach. And be sure to get the aluminum yoke clamp (should be the number above if I'm not mistaken). They do sell a plastic one too.

Cnoe

I went that path at one point as well. With my Aspens surface mounted, I had little room to stick my panel guard on and had to remove it all the time.

Yes please find that thread... thanks!

-Randy

Randy -- page three of this thread. I also posted a picture of what is attached to the yoke and links to the parts I used: http://mooneyspace.com/topic/14719-ipad-air-or-ipad-mini/page-3

Let me know if you have any questions (make sure you use the plastic spacer on the bottom if you go this route).

anyone have a decent setup for a full size ipad? I have a leg strap but that means I can't have a clipboard or other writing surface, I have a similar (exact, actually) setup to cnoe, but it blocks the HSI, even bottom mounted.

anyone have a decent setup for a full size ipad? I have a leg strap but that means I can't have a clipboard or other writing surface, I have a similar (exact, actually) setup to cnoe, but it blocks the HSI, even bottom mounted.

I'm only 5'6" and can see all the round gauges over the top of my Air for the most part, but with the full-width iPad 2 it was hard to tilt it back enough. But I bet that if you used two short arms with a double-ball (RAM-B-230U) you could make it do anything you want.

Does your iPadMini stay cool enough with this rig?

Like Paul mentioned, once in a while in direct sunlight it will get hot but can easily be remedied with a small cloth. I love the yoke setup and my wife devours Kindle books on the right side's mini.

• Like 1

Marauder, I like the safety procedure manual in your lap. I assume you took the highpoints of the POH and added your own as well? Good idea.

Yep, the kneeboard has a few things on it. A highly modified original Mooney checklist from the POH. The high modification was the incorporation for the new equipment I added (like the Aspen/Garmin stuff and the autopilot pre-flight checks).

I also have the emergency checklist from the POH and for a while hard copies of the expected charts for my departure, destination and alternate airports. I have since gotten a second iPad.

• Like 1

Guess my full size ipad 2 is just too wide, it'll fit, but barely and it's in the way. The air probably would be fine, it's an inch or so narrower no?

Only about 3/8" narrower but that small amount makes a fair difference. Screen size is the same; just narrower margins.

Cnoe

Do you have the original iPad mini or an iPad mini with Retina Display? 

The iPad mini with Retina Display is slightly thicker and it made a difference for me.  I originally tried the RAM part number (RAM-HOL-AP14U) that Marauder listed and not only was it tight, it peeled up the corners of my screen protector trying to insert it.  That's when I found out there is a specific holder for the iPad mini with Retina Display, it is RAM-HOL-AP14R (the 'R' is for 'Retina'). I swapped out the holder for the correct one and it made a BIG difference.  Keep in mind this RAM holder requires the iPad mini to be inserted without a case/cover.

• Like 1

Do you have the original iPad mini or an iPad mini with Retina Display?

The iPad mini with Retina Display is slightly thicker and it made a difference for me. I originally tried the RAM part number (RAM-HOL-AP14U) that Marauder listed and not only was it tight, it peeled up the corners of my screen protector trying to insert it. That's when I found out there is a specific holder for the iPad mini with Retina Display, it is RAM-HOL-AP14R (the 'R' is for 'Retina'). I swapped out the holder for the correct one and it made a BIG difference. Keep in mind this RAM holder requires the iPad mini to be inserted without a case/cover.

Is the part number supposed to have a "U" at the end? RAM-HOL-AP14R doesn't come up.

Is the part number supposed to have a "U" at the end? RAM-HOL-AP14R doesn't come up.

A write-up on this mount can be found at 'www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-apple-ipad-mini-retina-display-mount-cradle-ram-hol-ap14ru.html'

As Steve said, if you see a 'U' after any of the RAM product numbers, it just denotes that it is packaged in a clear poly-bag.

• 2 months later...

Here are some pictures of my new setup for a full sized iPad. I flew with it the first time without all the parts having arrived yesterday (was missing he iPad cradle), but will seem to fit and most importantly it does not interfere with full travel of the yoke. I am also able to mount the iPad in a horizontal position, which I prefer for SV on forelflight next to a moving map.

The parts are the ratcheting swivel arm and small claw clamp from RAM. Seems sturdy. Will fly with the full setup and update after the weekend

Take care

Brad. d2e1dfcc0e25ac882601aa1148aed784.jpg

dbd3c18968f604d332eff55c156eba8f.jpg

62ea1af9fe6b820a3a75cc8189431ec6.jpg51c0871e5a2168ed7ef5ca001bc873f8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1