Mooney Summit in Florida: Possible Mooney Formation Flying Clinic

bucko

Hi All,

This is just a feeler to see if there is any interest in participating in a Mooney Caravan Formation Flying Clinic in Panama City, FL, prior to the weekend activities of the Mooney Summit III, scheduled for the first weekend of October,  2015.

I was approached by Mike Elliott at Sun n Fun earlier this week to see if I could help them put it together.

The key is having enough Safety Pilots, so we need to get a feel for the number of pilots who may want to participate.

This would potentially be going on the Thursday and Friday (September 30th and October 1st) before the Summit.  Other possible events would be Flight Reviews and/ or IPC's, which may also be going on those 2 days.

Let me know,

Bucko Strehlow

M20-E

• Like 1

Hi All,

This is just a feeler to see if there is any interest in participating in a Mooney Caravan Formation Flying Clinic in Panama City, FL, prior to the weekend activities of the Mooney Summit III, scheduled for the first weekend of October,  2015.

I was approached by Mike Elliott at Sun n Fun earlier this week to see if I could help them put it together.

The key is having enough Safety Pilots, so we need to get a feel for the number of pilots who may want to participate.

This would potentially be going on the Thursday and Friday (September 30th and October 1st) before the Summit.  Other possible events would be Flight Reviews and/ or IPC's, which may also be going on those 2 days.

Let me know,

Bucko Strehlow

M20-E

One small correction, Bucko, Thurs is Oct 1st. If there are any qualified safety pilots who would be willing to help Bucko out, let him know also!  

This years' Mooney Summit is going to ROCK!

That is the question I am asking, Mike.  What is a qualified safety pilot?  I am starting to believe that it is a pilot who has already been through this training who flies right seat? 

Thanks!

Jim

That is also my understanding from my conversations with Bucko, Jim. Bucko will amend this understanding if needed. He is trying to gauge interest so he can obtain and allocate resources (safety pilots).  He also needs this to see if we will have the ability to provide concurrent wings credit FR's and IPC's again at this Mooney Summit

A Mooney Formation Flying Safety Pilot (SP) is someone with formation flying experience specific to Mooney aircraft who will sit in your co-pilot seat and give advice and tips while flying.

You remain the PIC of your aircraft at all times.  The SP is NOT acting as an Instructor Pilot, but will be a valuable resource for helping you to enjoy learning how to formation fly in a safe manner. 

And Mike Elliott is also correct in stating that we are also looking for qualified Safety Pilots to help put this all together.  Our goal is to have every "Newbie" formation flying pilot have a SP for this event.  Pilots with "intermediate" or "advanced" formation flying experience may have a SP with them, if available.

This is a learning experience.  We will brief before flying and debrief after each sortie.  There is preparation to be done before attending the course.  We ask everyone to review the "Mooney Formation Flying Guide" and a Video of the Introduction Briefing (from an earlier clinic at KHYI last year) prior to attending.  Links to both the Guide and the Video may be found on www.mooneycaravan.com in the "Training" section of the website.

Please add your name with a "Reply to this topic" note if you are interested in such a clinic at the Florida Summit.

Bucko Strehlow

• Like 1

Add CarolAnn Garratt and myself, Bucko. We will subordinate to others attending the Mooney Summit III if space and resources dictate.

Please keep in mind this is not a registration request for the Mooney Summit III, as that will occur later when registration opens via signing up at www.mooneysummit.com, but rather a roll call of interest to aid Bucko in prepping a Formation flying clinic to be held as part of the Mooney Summit flight activities.

We plan to open registration for the Mooney Summit III in July.

Thanks for doing this Bucko!