Clearview (2W2) Go Around and Landing

Shadrach

Sunday afternoon into 2W2 to grab some $4.59 100LL and some goodies in the pilot shop. 1840'X30' 330'DT

The topography does weird things to the wind at this airport. You can see the midfield "Wind Tee" shows a direct right to left xwind, but the sock at the departure end shows a light but direct tailwind. On the first approach we surfed a slight updraft right at the drop off on the approach end, I knew I was going to be too fast but rode it through the displaced threshold. Also of interest, you can see a faint puff of black smoke for a split sec as the fuel servo reacts to me opening the throttle.

Do turn the volume down before hitting play. This was a quick edit and I should have reduced the engine/wind sound.

This is not really a short field technique, I have some concern that the camera might kiss pavement during a true short field.

Mooneys are not as uncommon at 2W2 as one might think. There is actually an early C model based at this field. Unfortunately, many aircraft of all types have ended up in the weeds on both ends.

Anyway, enjoy.

• Like 10

Nice! Although it sounds more like wind noise. You attached it very tightly, I'm guessing to the tail tie down?

I (used to) go to a 2000' grass strip next to work (at my last job) on occasion. At least my 3001' home field kept me in practice for it.

Now my parents live very close to a 2770 x 40 strip at the edge of the Smokies, sloping downhill pretty good. My only problem there was after dark for Thanksgiving, the lights one one side of the runway were burned out and I misjudged which side on the first attempt. Fun times! 11pm, loaded heavy, with the wife, low on fuel, uphill go around because the runway in on THAT side of the single row of lights and I'm on THIS side.

This is why we practice, right? At least the approach end was open, and the church steeple on departure was on the other side if the runway.

• Like 1

Camera is mounted just in front of the beacon. It has sort of an "elbow" mount so it's adjustable for roll, yaw and pitch. It hangs further down than you'd think because of how I want the plane positioned in the fish eye frame. It looks like it's pointing almost straight down. It is a pretty rigid mount although one of the thumb screws drummed on the belly skin on landing (it can be heard in the video). I do try to practice. It had been several months since I'd gone into a shorter field and I could tell. We were also a tad heavier than usual as I (5'11" 190lbs) am usually alone for the trips. On this day I had a 225lb copilot and some other stuff...still way under 2740lbs though. I always enjoy stopping here, the folks are nice and the pilot shop is impressive!

Edited by Shadrach

I used to go into 2W2 in my "E" model to visit the pilot shop. 

As I crossed the threshold I was determined to at 1.2 Vs and at 10' AGL -- if not I'd go around.

The approach end of 32 has a private road running RIGHT past the end so you need to look left and right before crossing, just like your mother taught you.

You can see the road easily in the AirNav photo  -- http://img.airnav.com/ap/10350.jpg?v=N94PY2

No, that's not a taxiway, that's the road serving several houses.

• Like 1

Unless I'm heavy I try to be a bit slower than that even. I was at 70mph over the threshold on first and went around. I was at 60mph over the threshold on the second. The new DT means runway 14 only has 1510' available for landing. Book says roll out on a standard day at 2300lbs is 640ft. It was hotter and 2W2 is 799MSL. I too make my go around decision at the threshold.

• Like 1

I have never landed at 2W2 but have always wanted to.  I would have felt very comfortable doing so in my former F.  I'm in and out of W00 all the time (Freeway), and I can turn off sometimes just more than halfway down the 2400 foot runway (with a displaced threshold).  So, 1200-1600 feet.  That being said, I'd want to practice with the Missile very hard and get very consistent at putting it on the ground and stopping in 1000 feet prior to flying to Clearview (2W2).  I know I can do it, but only on a good day, and only when light.  Taking off will be no issue in the Missile with just me on board.  

-Seth

Ross-

The Missile is just heavier.  Getting out won't be an issue, with the three blade prop and 300 HP, I'll be off the ground just fine.  The Missile wants to fly.

It is the landing that concerns me.  I know I can get into small fields, but I have never attempted anything under 2000 feet.  The stall speed is 1 knot higher than the unmodified J airframe (not a huge difference, but it was significant enough to change it).  It is just heavier, thus, more inertia to slow down.  

That and I may be used to my 4200 foot strip (GAI - Gaithersburg, Maryland) vs my old 2400 strip (W00 - Freeway, Maryland).  I can always get into W00, a go around now and then, but it always amazes me how small it is compared to my current home field of GAI.  

I'll get into clearview one day, just need to make sure I'm really on speed and touchdown as soon as possible, flaps up, and good braking.

Oh, and my Missile does not have speed brakes.  Instead, higher capcity long range tanks (17 per side).  You lose a good percentage per side, something like 3.5 gallons per side for a total of 7 out of your 34 gallons reducing the extra tanks to 27 gallons total - still a good amount, but they were not installed when I purchased the plane, and at this point, I do not plan to install them.  

-Seth

My point about the prop was that it should make a good brake during descent.  I believe the only reason the Missle's stall speed is higher is the gross weight increase to 3200lbs. But that only matters at 3200lbs.   At 2740lbs it should stall like an F or an J at gross. At 2400lbs it should stall just as your F would at 2400lbs.  Unless the wing was changed, The J, the F, the G and the Missle should all theoretically stall at the same speed for a given weight. I'm sure the CG is a bit of farther forward due to the prop and engine, which likely explains part of the heavy feeling. It certainly is heavier, but for what it's worth, usable operating weights for your current and former plane do overlap by quite a bit.

I have many landings at 2W2. For people unfamiliar and perhaps Ross did not mention, the drome sits on a plateau with pretty hefty slopes on both approach ends.....especially 32. It's only 2800 usable and you always seems to get an updraft or the bottom falls out. Great video Ross.....nice squeaker on landing. Dying to meet my favorite "F".

John

• Like 1

Updraft was the reason for the go around. 14 has an updraft with a tailwind and down draft with a headwind.    One correction John.  The strip of pavement is 1840' - if you land 14 the DT takes it down to 1510', if you land 32 the DT takes it down to 1563'.   There is a C model currently based there.    There was also a J Model (I believe) based of the departure end of 32 for a few days last September.  Any time you need a your Mooney fix, let me know!

post-8069-0-68740700-1429205450_thumb.jp

That's right.......wasn't it listed on sec charts as 2200-2400 at one time? Great video....

Maybe, but it's been 1840' ever since it was paved. I believe it was turf back in the 60s and 70s.  The DTs keep growing with the trees.  They are going to have to do something about the top branches before too long.  At some point they're going to need a chopper with a saw to cut out an approach path. 

• 1 month later...

The three blade prop on a Missile should be an effective speed brake provided the idle speed is something like 500 RPM. At higher idle RPM it may well be adding thrust rather than drag.

Clarence

Ross, very nice job on landing at Clearview. It is a challenging strip. I have been in there in a 182, and more recently in an RV-4. Maybe one day I will make it in in a Mooney.

Regards,

Fernando

• Like 1