Change Heim Bearing in Aileron Push Tube?

Hi,

Has anyone changed out a Heim bearing on an Aileron Push tube?  The bearing that connects to the aileron has a lot of movement.  

Any hints for the A/P?

The plane has two different push tubes. One is the original style #: 915012 with M34-14 bearing locked by two rolled pins. This is the bearing that needs to be replaced.  The other side has a newer tube from 2001 #730048-905.

Anyone have a good source for the rolled pins # RP-A52-028-125-0.687? I think MS16562-36 is the closest pin. It is .75 long vs .687.

Should I just replace the 915012 with the newer style?

There is no need to do it. It won't make the plane fly any better. The ailerons both have up force on them which stretches the tubes and takes all the slop out of the system. The aileron tubes are always pulling. The only place there can be backlash is between the yoke and the center bellcrank..

On my E model I changed the rod ends on the control rods for the ailerons it required some machining to make it happen.

The biggest pain was installing the control rods and getting the inboard rod end lined up and bolted together with the upside down and blind access.  Mooney put the adjustable end inside the wing :huh: which is the hardest place to reach.  If it were on the aileron side adjustments would be a lot easier.

Adjustment is one thing. But I'm assuming the motivation is because the link is wearing. Meaning there is slop there on the aileron when you hold the yoke steady. Even the Heim wear out. I'm going to replace mine in the hose gear door. I can wiggle the doors around on the heim bearings themselves.

-Robert

On my E model I changed the rod ends on the control rods for the ailerons it required some machining to make it happen.

The biggest pain was installing the control rods and getting the inboard rod end lined up and bolted together with the upside down and blind access. Mooney put the adjustable end inside the wing :huh: which is the hardest place to reach. If it were on the aileron side adjustments would be a lot easier.

If the forward end of the aileron rod is not worn, you don't need to remove the bolt from the bellcrank. With a 7/16" wrench crack the check nut loose and spin the rod off the bearing, after having removed the aft bolt at the aileron. Replace the aft rod end and screw the rod back on to the still in place forward rod end.

Clarence