engine analyzer

Has anyone used the Electronic Intn'l US-8A engine analyzer? Either that or the EDM700 by JP? I assume the JP unit is good as many people seem to use them. I do have the EI unit for fuel flow installed already and it seems fine. Any thoughts?

An EI US-8A came with the plane I recently bought, and I don't exactly love it.  It only gives a single numerical value at a time for EGT and CHT.  You can cycle through them or hit the find peak button for the highest.  It's way better than nothing, but the problem with the numbers on tiny LCDs is that very hard to to read well enough to find peak EGT and then enrich or lean efficiently- far too attention diverting for me.  The EDM700 graphical representation would be  better.  Having said that, my EI US-8A will be available for cheap after I get my panel redone in a couple of months...

The mid 90s stuff is pretty good. Data that can be downloaded with some effort.

We have a member here that deals in used JPI equipment. See if you can find him using the search feature?

Take a look at the 830 for updated features and color.

The 900 series are color and are capable of being used for primary instrumentation. They also have nice mounting features...

Then look at the other two manufacturers...competition is strong.

I nicely instrumented bird will have CHTs, EGTs, and FF...

http://buy-ei.com

http://www.insightavionics.com/catalog.htm

https://www.jpinstruments.com

JPI is well known, and has imperfect people in sales and customer service...

AI is known for good products and good customer service...

Insight is known for building a really good lightning detector...

Best regards,

-a-

I'll check out some of the products you guys have mentioned. Don't think I can get too carried away as I have limited real estate in the old panel. The 930 looks awesome Bob. And I see that view of Long island every month or two as I have family out towards Islip. Time to hit the sack and have dreams of huge color displays with more information than my mind can process. I think I may be one of those people who do dream in color. Thanks for all the advice.

• Like 1

Look for the all in one round dial types if you are short on space...

Primary instrumentation in the hole that your current MP and oilP or FuelP are in.

The old mechanical rpm guage occupies a whole hole of it's own...

Modern HD color display with primary gauges would be really nice.

The challenge with the put it all in one small round display, you need really good eyesight in bumpy conditions...

Best regards,

-a-

I had the EI-8 LCD EGT/CHT and it started showing dark spots on the display after 25 years. I replaced with the EI UBG-16 with voltage, fuel flow and OAT options. Works very well.

José

Jose, I don't want to spend your money , but looks like you have the panel space for a full color monitor, did you consider it?

The mid 90s stuff is pretty good. Data that can be downloaded with some effort.

We have a member here that deals in used JPI equipment. See if you can find him using the search feature?

Take a look at the 830 for updated features and color.

The 900 series are color and are capable of being used for primary instrumentation. They also have nice mounting features...

Then look at the other two manufacturers...competition is strong.

I nicely instrumented bird will have CHTs, EGTs, and FF...http://buy-ei.comhttp://www.insightavionics.com/catalog.htmhttps://www.jpinstruments.com

JPI is well known, and has imperfect people in sales and customer service...

AI is known for good products and good customer service...

Insight is known for building a really good lightning detector...

Best regards,

-a-

Opinions are like @$$holes...Everybody has got 'em.

My opinion is that the Insight products are excellent. The G3 is compact, but readable. It fits great left of the eight pack. Right in your primary scan. Mine has detected no lightning, but has been 100% trouble free since installation years ago...

I just took an EDM700 w/FF out of my M20F to install an EDM900, as part of a panel upgrade. The 700 was working perfectly and is available if you need one.

attachicon.gifRight panel.JPGattachicon.gifimage2.jpeg

Glenn: interested in replacing mine (display box only). What is your preferred price range? My offline contact is nedgravel@motiva-training.com

Ned Gravel

Lucky steward of C-FSWR, a '65 E model at Rockcliffe, Ontario, (CYRO)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jose, I don't want to spend your money , but looks like you have the panel space for a full color monitor, did you consider it?

I found no need for a full engine monitor since I have the original engine instruments on top of the flight instruments. They provide better visibility than anything I would have installed on the right panel. Plus over 30 years of high reliability service. I chose the UBG-16 because it is the only one that would fit in the right corner and easy of operation. The large font makes it very easy to read. The UBG-16 employs non grounded probes that provide 1 deg. stable resolution readability. You can easily adjust the EGT to within 1 deg. and remains stable.

José