first time fixing fuel leaks

Hi all,

I've searched as for a while and still cannot find how to fix a leak that seeps up through the wing walk next to the cabin. A few people have said it is an easy fix but how do I narrow it down? And how do I get to it? Through the sending unit hole or through the oval port near the leading edge?

Ive owned my 62 C for a little over a year and it is truely amazing how much maintenance a guy can put into a fairly simple airplane. sigh. Good thing I love her.

thanks!!

Joe

almost all tank repairs are done from inside the tank. The leak you mention is probably from one of the screws that hold the internal supports under the wing walk. You can probably fix it by removing the screw and coating the head with sealant and screwing it back in.

Scrape down through the wing walk material in the center of the "seep" spot. You will find a screw head. Remove the screw and put sealer on the threads. Re-install and dab new wing walk goo over the screw.

• Like 1

Ive owned my 62 C for a little over a year and it is truely amazing how much maintenance a guy can put into a fairly simple airplane. sigh. Good thing I love her.

...and now you know why I call '76Q The Mistress. My kids think it unnatural, but they accept it. My wife considers it an annoyance, but luckily she accepts it too.

• Like 1

I have done the same thing with my grumman. My family never complained they just made the statement that they knew where I was:) leaks can be a pain I had done my grumman three times before it was finally done right. I guess you can say I am experienced. My friend as well with mooneys! He's fixed two leaking tanks. Grumman's are much harder to deal with!

• Like 1

If this doesn't do it and you're tired of messing with it, there's a Mooney Service Center in Troutdale, OR. Can't remember the name, but google should pop it right up if no one beats you to it.

Good luck! I had my tanks stripped and resealed in 2010.

There is no internal tank so if its leaking up through the wing walk that's the source of the leak. There is nothing for it to run down from at that location other than running down the top of the wing, which would be really obvious. It's probably leaking through a worn rivet. Solution is usually simple. Remove the rivet and put it back in with a bit of sealant. The fact that its on the wing walk does make it more difficult. You'll need to remove the material around it and then paint on new wing walk material. If your wing walk is coming up other places its probably a good time to strip it off and paint new on.

-Robert

Don Maxwell article... says permetex 2 for screw leaks

Exactly. New screw and a Tinnerman Washer....no more upper wing walk fuel seepage. Not fueling the wing to the very top when you leave the plane will also help.

I wouldn't recommend flying on an empty tank if that is what you are considering. The seals on the tank selector may not be perfect and could suck in air. This was wisdom I got from Lake Aero after one of their customers had an off field landing.

Tank sealing is a perfect owner job. It doesn't take a lot of skill (just be super careful not to plug the rib holes) and is very time consuming. So you can save a lot of money.

-Robert