Garmin 530

Releew

I'd like to know how to do that as well.  I have it turned on in ForeFlight on the iPad, but would be nice on the 530.

What I have done that is almost as good, is to load the approach procedure.  If I load the ILS approach for a given runway, it will, of course, depict the approach, which for most approaches, and all ILS approaches, is the extended centerline of the runway.

Just my $0.02

Is this what your looking for?

When using the Garmin 430/530 you can draw the extended runway centerline for almost any runway by going DIRECT to an airport as the active waypoint, pressing OBS, and turning the OBS knob on your HSI or CDI to runway heading. Be sure your CDI button is set to GPS and not VLOC.

This works very well to help orient yourself to entering a traffic pattern, particularly at night or at an airport with multiple runways.

Note that this method will not distinguish between left or right runways if an airport has parallel runways. To show the extended centerline of a parallel runway, you can go to the main map page, push the right small button to turn on the cursor, zoom in, move the cursor to the desired runway threshold with the right small and large knobs, and hit DIRECT ENTER ENTER. Then press OBS and turn the OBS knob to runway heading. This willl set up a "+MAP" user waypoint at the threshold of your desired runway.

The approach option is a good way if there is an approach for the runway. When there is no approach defined I use the OBS function. It works very well.

Set the destination airport as your direct waypoint or next waypoint.

Push the OBS button. Verify OBS indication

Set the CDI or HSI course to the runway heading.

The 530 course line will line up with the runway.

As you approach runway final the CDI/HSI the deviation will start to get centered. You can engage the autopilot in NAV mode to maintain track.

Because the airport coordinates may not be on the runway (multiple runways) or the runway number may be off from the actual heading the dialed course may not lead you perfectly to the runway but to the taxiway.  

I found the OBS function to be very useful for the above and to stay away from terrain or restricted airspace (TFRs)

José

Thanks.....   I've used the OBS function and it works well.  I am looking for the typical runway extension view like they have on just about every other 

Garmin portable and Software/Tablet product.  I was told runway extensions could be activated in the Firmware when the unit is initializing but I have not seen anything in writing.  

Rick

Thanks.....   I've used the OBS function and it works well.  I am looking for the typical runway extension view like they have on just about every other 

Garmin portable and Software/Tablet product.  I was told runway extensions could be activated in the Firmware when the unit is initializing but I have not seen anything in writing.  

Rick

I don't think automatic depiction of extended runway centerlines is a 430/530 function. The setting of the OBS is the only way to simulate it (other than loading a coinciding approach) I am aware of.

The approach option is a good way if there is an approach for the runway. When there is no approach defined I use the OBS function. It works very well.

Set the destination airport as your direct waypoint or next waypoint.

Push the OBS button. Verify OBS indication

Set the CDI or HSI course to the runway heading.

The 530 course line will line up with the runway.

As you approach runway final the CDI/HSI the deviation will start to get centered. You can engage the autopilot in NAV mode to maintain track.

Because the airport coordinates may not be on the runway (multiple runways) or the runway number may be off from the actual heading the dialed course may not lead you perfectly to the runway but to the taxiway.  

I found the OBS function to be very useful for the above and to stay away from terrain or restricted airspace (TFRs)

José

Another use -- set up the 530 in OBS mode but offset the runway heading by 45 degrees.   Then the magenta line shows you a real 45 degree entry into the landing pattern.  

Does anyone know how to set up runway extensions on a Garmin 530.  I have been through every screen and do not see an option to turn on runway extensions.

Thanks   

Rick

530s do not have runway extensions. Just people use OBS mode as described above.