Software update

Cruiser

How did you get your hands on the firmware Tom? I thought it was restricted to dealers to download the firmware.

That's my understanding as well... My avionics shop side they had to order a card form Garmin with the latest version (5.20) before he could do the update.

Unless you're talking about something different, there is a piece you purchase from Garmin that connects your data card to a USB port, then you buy the update subscription from garmin which is "x" per year (I think around 200$) and that intitles you to update your data card every 28 days.

I think Tom is talking about the operating firmware (software) for the unit. What you are describing is the database update process.

Based on what I saw in my logbook, I think the firmware updates require a logbook entry. Wonder if they would be allowed under the 43 rules. I would love to keep my firmware current but not at a cost of $100 everytime a non essential is offered.

What the shop told me is that if the firmware was applied to fix a problem, it was free under warranty. If it was an enhancement, we pay.

The Dealers have the Updated software cards and charge per update to their customers.

The last 530 update I had done was around $125. I have no idea how much Garmin charges for the cards, but will not deal with the end user directly.

The shop came to me and did the updates on a few of the other aircraft I maintain. No re-rack or bench required other than pull S/N's.

-Matt

• Like 1

The shops download the s/w update for free from Garmin, they do need a separate program card to make the update. But my avionics shop updated both of my GNS430W's for free after I pulled the units, dropped them off at their place and then picked them up a few hours later along with a free zerox copy of the new AFMS which did cost them some money to duplicate/print. Although I am an A&P and did the paperwork myself, this falls under the guidelines of allowable owner preventive maintenance. Just be sure to replace the older Garmin AFMS, that should be in your POH, with a reduced copy of the new one and log the update in your Airframe logbook. If you have a good relationship/history with an avionics shop they may not charge you like mine.

• 2 months later...

I'm always worried that updating the firmware will break something.  I've got a 530w and a Sandel 3500.  Both have updates available but everything seems to be working fine.  Any arguments for updating in this case?

depends on what the updates do and what you need. 

Unless you are a "first one to update" you can find out if there are any issues with compatibility from the mfg.s

If you don't use or need the benefit of the upgrades, don't waste your time, but I would suspect the firmware updates are important ones otherwise the MFGs would not be wasting their time and money providing them.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm always worried that updating the firmware will break something.  I've got a 530w and a Sandel 3500.  Both have updates available but everything seems to be working fine.  Any arguments for updating in this case?

you have a valid concern. I know of a 430 that was upgraded to a 430W and it broke the GS capability of the Sandel. The Sandel needed a $1700 dealer cost firmware upgrade to support WAAS.  

The Sandel was sold on Ebay for 3500 and an Aspen put in instead.

you have a valid concern. I know of a 430 that was upgraded to a 430W and it broke the GS capability of the Sandel. The Sandel needed a $1700 dealer cost firmware upgrade to support WAAS.

The Sandel was sold on Ebay for 3500 and an Aspen put in instead.

When I had my SN3500, the firmware was user updatable and free.

Not sure about the sn3308?

I'm always worried that updating the firmware will break something. I've got a 530w and a Sandel 3500. Both have updates available but everything seems to be working fine. Any arguments for updating in this case?

If you have the LED backlighting mod on your SN3500, update to the latest firmware (4.06, I think?). It's free, all you need is a laptop and a usb cable. Then, for $500 you can unlock the GPSS mode from your Sandel to the autopilot. A nice feature if you fly much IFR using the 530W and an autopilot.

Those SN3500's are nice units. I had one in my previous J. I have an Aspen 1000 pro in my current missile... I prefer the SN3500 for its display size on the HSI and Map mode. As well as having actual needles pop up during approaches instead of the cheesy littleglidedlope indicator and course dev indicator on the aspen.