Getting rid of the old shotgun panel!

drapo

Where did you get that? We are about to set mine up for the standard 6 pack scan.

I contacted Dan at Lasar. I think they still have a couple of 8 holes left and a few co-pilot panels as well.

$250 + $85 for misc. hardware for the pilot side, $150 for the co-pilot.

Btw ... If ... you wanted your new panel the same color as the old plastic trim ... SEM "Super White" is nearly an exact match. I used it when I refinished our panels, (we have the same interior.)

It's an auto interior paint, I found it at an Auto Quest auto parts in a nearby town.

I'll change the color, one of my friend works at Bombardier and I'll have a blueish grey just like the big jets! :)

Did you have to do anything with the yoke to fit the new panel in?

I'm relying on my AME (Canadian IA or A&P, not sure) to get everything working.

He told me that he had to play a little with the VSI area and do some cutting around the Airspeed to make it all fit.

Is the new panel mounted 100% vertically or does it still have a slight tilt? The original has a slight tilt to it on the left ... if I recall correctly?

From what I could see, it is 100% vertical, but if it isn't, it's not too far from it!

• Like 1

Good question.

I've done quite a bit of research on this (M20E) and it looks like with all upper panel replacements, where you do not move or change the switches and cable controls below, the yoke and it's bracket have to be messed with. On my panel, my vacuum gauge (<2"?) is just above the yoke and I think the reason for that is because of the clearance, or lack thereof.

In Jonathan Paul's excellent discussion of his install of a LASAR panel, he describes in somewhat disturbing detail what has to be done.

I've done quite a bit of research on this (M20E) and it looks like with all upper panel replacements, where you do not move or change the switches and cable controls below, the yoke and it's bracket have to be messed with. On my panel, my vacuum gauge (<2"?) is just above the yoke and I think the reason for that is because of the clearance, or lack thereof.

In Jonathan Paul's excellent discussion of his install of a LASAR panel, he describes in somewhat disturbing detail what has to be done.

But you have to take into account that in Mr Paul's case, he was installing the 9 holes panel, which is a little offset to the right, and had an HSI instead of a DG.

From my AME's account, there is some work to be done in the panel's DG/VSI area to make them fit, but not as extensive as Mr Paul's account.

But you have to take into account that in Mr Paul's case, he was installing the 9 holes panel, which is a little offset to the right, and had an HSI instead of a DG.

From my AME's account, there is some work to be done in the panel's DG/VSI area to make them fit, but not as extensive as Mr Paul's account.

Thanks, LASAR is sending me their design kit and that has bothered me a bit. The 8-hole is probably what I will go with, using the same arrangement as you've chosen. I really like the idea of my two CDI's being next to each other along with the six-pack.

Certain the finished product will be great but for the record you had a not so bad panel to start with. Fairly good grouping from that old musket.

Yeah, just needed to go that extra step. Vsi was very hard to see and altimeter not easy to consult. And yes, the layout makes it more professional and easier to adapt for other pilots. For those interested, total cost, including parts, labor and paint, $1200CDN

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Found out last week that the altimeter and TC had to be overhauled, so a couple weeks delay for the final product.

But, while I was waiting for the panel, they're talking about another couple of weeks, I got myself some Delta blue aviation leather, negotiated with a local aviation paint and upholstery shop, and went from this...

M20Eint.jpg

To..... Voilà!

SiegeAv.jpg

SiegeAR.jpg

Now if I can only get my Mooney back, I'll start putting some money into Avgas!

• Like 4

I thought the old ones were nice....

The new ones are really special!

Best regards,

-a-

NIce but not a lot of suppot, they were more like dining room chairs!

We've added a little more foam on the sides on the new ones.

• Like 1

Simply Perfect! They'd look good in ours!! Name of the shop? They might get slammed with mooney seats!

-Matt

They're located on the Northern right coast, north of Montréal, QC at Lachute (CSE4) airport.

The name of the shop is Aeroger and they do paint and interiors, I do recommend them!