Foreflight just announced synthetic vision!

N601RX

My understanding was that a certified ADS-B system has to be permanently installed.

What I saw at Oshkosh this year was the Stratus 2 linked to a new Appareo mode s transponder with built-in WAAS GPS source. Intended to be a one box solution for both ADS-B in and out. The stratus 2 could be permanently installed underneath the panel near near the transponder because it will now be powered by and receiving the GPS information from the transponder itself. The Stratus would be relegated to transmitting the traffic/weather/GPS/AHRS information to your iPad.

• Like 1

I read sv would be a $25 upgrade. Never used it. Is it worth it?

I haven't either but at $2 a month I'm gonna give it a go!  Foreflight has always done things to a higher standard (IMO), so I believe it will be on par if not better than similar applications???  Time will tell but I'm glad they are finally releasing it!

• Like 1

I read sv would be a $25 upgrade. Never used it. Is it worth it?

It's $25 a year for Synthetic vision!!!

Let me put it another way.....I was at the Jaguars/Titan football game last night. I paid $24.50 for two beers and a hotdog and that investment will literally turn into shit in another day or so (maybe sooner). I will gladly pay $25 a year for much improved obstacle awareness specially if that small investment has the potential of some day helping me avoid having to utter the words 'oh shit'

• Like 9

It's $25 a year for Synthetic vision!!!

Let me put it another way.....I was at the Jaguars/Titan football game last night. I paid $24.50 for two beers and a hotdog and that investment will literally turn into shit in another day or so (maybe sooner). I will gladly pay $25 a year for much improved obstacle awareness specially if that small investment has the potential of some day helping me avoid having to utter the words 'oh shit'

Too funny Dude!

I'm still not sure. Kinda need that $25 to get a hula doll like Marauder has for my glare shield.

Well you probably don't want to take investment advise from me anyway

I "invested" $1800 in Jaguar season tickets and many would argue that was probably NOT a wise investment. So what's another $25 down the drain. It's all a matter of perspective isn't it.

Pretty dang cool. If I were flying in IMC again, I would get this, but since I'm VFR these days and already have good terrain displayed on my Garmins, I think I'll save my $25 a year. Those of you regularly flying clouds and at night should definitely pony up the $25. I would.

• 2 weeks later...

Just downloaded synthetic vision (SV) on the iPad. Will try it out tomorrow. However, I can't seem to figure out how to get SV on the iPhone 6. I was hoping I could use SV in full screen mode on the iPhone with my stratus 2. Maybe the SV product is only for the iPad?

Does the synthetic vision work through the original Stratus. I noticed on the ad that it "works well" with Stratus II.

The original stratus does not have AHRS so you will get synthetic vision but it will not show your attitude. It will show you straight and level at all times. The stratus 2 has AHRS so it will display synthetic vision in a real attitude indicator.

My Garmin panel display is pretty cool and you can have an HSI over terrain display if you want. It also provides terrain avoidance as well as airspace alerts. The Fore flight does have a display that looks like your panel Glass mounted units. It requires the pro subscription upgrade but since the basic subscription is lots cheaper than wing x I would expect some features to need the upgrade

I guess I need to see it in action to decide. Thanks.

Don -- I have it on the Garmin Pilot but do not have the GDL-39 unit with the AHRS. Like Dave has indicated, you won't get the bank information but it will show the terrain.

I'm picking my plane up tomorrow and will try to remember to video tape it in flight. Here is what it looks like on the ground.

f1b7b0812e0d4b8a73afd83136317d7e.jpg

I don't have SVT on my Aspens but do have current terrain and obstacle databases. When I depart an unfamiliar airport, I find the obstacle and terrain awareness pretty handy in hilly areas or where there may be obstacles on the departure (like windmills).

Without altitude, is synthetic vision really good for anything. These are not intended to be derogatory questions. I'm really ignorant.

Don, the attitude indicator with SV has ribbons on the side displaying altitude, ground speed, and rate of climb. Bear in mind these are all GPS based but pretty good nevertheless