Monroy ATD-300

Magnum

Hello,

I am interested in the Monroy ATD-300 Traffic Watch+ with the external directional antenna. It seems to be the only cheap traffic system with an external directional antenna. Does someone have it installed and could give a short pirep?

I had a Zaon MRX, upgraded to the Zaon XRX connected to the Garmin 695. As it doesn't have an external antenna the accuracy is not always the best.

I had my old ATD-300 upgraded to the ATD-300+ for $600 (mod and antenna). The antenna is of the same type as the previous transpoder blade I  had so no new holes were required. I had it for about a month and so far it has always pointed in the right direction. The distance readout appears to be more stable than before. Very handy on final approach so you know if the traffic is ahead or behind. The advantage of the external antenna vs. in the cabin is a no brainer for any avionics in the plane.

José    

Quote: Piloto

I had my old ATD-300 upgraded to the ATD-300+ for $600 (mod and antenna). The antenna is of the same type as the previous transpoder blade I  had so no new holes were required. I had it for about a month and so far it has always pointed in the right direction. The distance readout appears to be more stable than before. Very handy on final approach so you know if the traffic is ahead or behind. The advantage of the external antenna vs. in the cabin is a no brainer for any avionics in the plane.

José    

Quote: Magnum

How does it handle multiple targets? Does it always show the highest threat or the nearest aircraft? Is it possible switch through the targets?

Unfortunately there is no manual for download.

Does someone have a comparison to the Zaon XRX/MRX?

Thanks for the info.

• 2 weeks later...

Quote: Piloto

José    

Quote: takair

Have been happy with the basic model and even the ATD-200 before it.   Just had mine upgraded to the + and am going to do the install.  Where was your antenna?  I was going to put the new antenna on the belly, in the middle of the fuselage, behind the leading edge of the wing.  Install manual recommends forward of the wing and shows one mounted on the cowl of a Mooney.  Want the best performance, but prefer to keep it aft.  Have inquiry in to Monroy also, but would like to hear from others too.

• 5 months later...

Quote: Magnum

Hello,

I am interested in the Monroy ATD-300 Traffic Watch+ with the external directional antenna. It seems to be the only cheap traffic system with an external directional antenna. Does someone have it installed and could give a short pirep?

I had a Zaon MRX, upgraded to the Zaon XRX connected to the Garmin 695. As it doesn't have an external antenna the accuracy is not always the best.

The February 2011 Aviation Consumer just published a review of the Monroy ATD-300, Zaon and others.

In summary, they liked the Zaon with a Garmin best. They liked the display of the Monroy ATD 300 "but were less impressed with the units performance."

I suggest that you visit thier website for more information about why the performance was not as good as it could be.

What caught my eye in the aviation consumer article was the following line "The ATD-300 can display on panel-mounts, such as Garmin 430/530s and Aspen PFD/MFDs."  The Monroy website does not say this but does mention that the unit outputs R232 serial data.   If it does display on Garmin/Aspen, I would difinitely be in the market for one.  Does anybody who owns a unit have the install manual handy?

I had the antenna in front but relocated it to the rear beacon panel. Although the front is the easiest to install is kind of cumbersome when removing the cowling and lay it down. It works very well in the rear even on the ground. I am planning on installing a 430 later on but I am not sure if there is any advantage on displaying traffic on it since you need to switch display modes when alerted. Monroy told me that the ARINC 429 interface option for panel mounted displays would be available by spring.

I tried a friend's Zeon XRX (he was selling it) but found it too cumbersome to operate, bulky and erratic. I personally don't like things hanging on the glareshield. I am pretty happy with the ATD.

José    

post-66-13468139300746_thumb.jpg

post-66-13468139301164_thumb.jpg

I have been flying the 300+ for a few months now.  Jose Monroy is great to deal with.  Had some performance problems at first, but after remounting the antenna from the front to under the wing and a software upgrade it seems to be working well.  He mentioned he is working on an interface for the 430, but as of December it was not ready.  My unit already has the ARINC output, but will probably require one more software upgrade for the 430 when it is ready.  Probably worth checking with him.  I believe the install manual is on his web sight.  What's nice is that he does his testing on his Mooney and it is STCd for the Mooney.  I don't ahve experience with the other "small" units.

Thanks for the picture Jose. So it looks the interface part is still under development. If it could display on a 430 or Aspen or even a sandel unit then this would be great I think....Traffic  alerting sytems keep your look out more sharp...my 2 (euro) cents on it. Having the quadrant bearing indication helps identifying the target faster....

• 1 month later...

Quote: takair

I have been flying the 300+ for a few months now.  Jose Monroy is great to deal with.  Had some performance problems at first, but after remounting the antenna from the front to under the wing and a software upgrade it seems to be working well.  He mentioned he is working on an interface for the 430, but as of December it was not ready.  My unit already has the ARINC output, but will probably require one more software upgrade for the 430 when it is ready.  Probably worth checking with him.  I believe the install manual is on his web sight.  What's nice is that he does his testing on his Mooney and it is STCd for the Mooney.  I don't ahve experience with the other "small" units.

• 3 weeks later...

I just purchased a 300+ today directly from Jose Monroy. Since I live about a mile from him he was gracious enough to invite me over and show me his "lab", which contains electronic test equipment from floor to ceiling.

Last week I had been out to his hangar to see the ATD installation in his 1982 "J". While on the ground it was pointing to (valid) targets all over the place, including the ones taking off and landing. It was impressive to watch.

Jose is a very interesting fellow and participated in development of the TCAS system all those years ago. While flying on his own he thought of the idea of a traffic system for the "other guys" and sat down and applied his knowledge of transponders to create his own solution.

I purchased the antenna and will have it mounted this week while my "J" is in the shop undergoing it's GTN750 installation. Although the 300+ does have the ARINC 429 chip, Jose reports that the feature is not quite ready.

Stay tuned.

• 8 months later...

I'm thinking of getting an ATD300, few questions popped into my mind:

1) Is Garmin 430 coupling available yet? How does it work?

2) Does the unit come with antenna/cable for portable use AND panel mount kit or do you have to pick one?

I'm thinking of getting just the unit for portable use for now and then get it permanently installed in the panel at annual. Otherwise just going to wait till then.

Quote: 201er

I'm thinking of getting an ATD300, few questions popped into my mind:

1) Is Garmin 430 coupling available yet? How does it work?

2) Does the unit come with antenna/cable for portable use AND panel mount kit or do you have to pick one?

I'm thinking of getting just the unit for portable use for now and then get it permanently installed in the panel at annual. Otherwise just going to wait till then.

• 1 year later...

Haven't had mine coupled yet but let me tell you the traffic system itself SUCKS. It misses a lot of traffic I spot and often doesn't call it till after it has passed. I'm disappointed with it and seeing where ADS-B is going, I think it's a waste of money to be installing at this point. In the metro areas ADS-B traffic works 70% of the time and improving as more get ADSB out.

Mike-

Thanks for the update!  I also read on the website - it is indeed able be to coupled to the 430/530  http://www.monroyaero.com/ATD300V10.pdf

However, I'm worried from your PIREP.  Do you have the external antenna installed or do you only have the unit inside plane.

I too am banking on ADS B in the future, especially considering the areas I fly. The direct transponder system is just another method.  Between ADS B and a properly working Monroy 300, and you've got a good setup.

-Seth

I have it panel mounted with external antenna. Now that he has the coupling I should really get around to doing it. Maybe on the display it will be more accurate than the standard use. I'll let you know when I get around to it. He promised to do it for me for free when it came out (and I had been waiting over a year for that) but since I got the ADS-B Ipad traffic which shows like 50 targets in a 20 mile vicinity, I lost my motivation to update the Monroy. If it wasn't so much labor to take it out and worth something on resale I'd be getting rid of it. Hey Seth, it's an EXCELLENT system and I can give you a deal on one!

Any other PIREPS on portable traffic collision systems? I'm in the market. Thanks, -Seth
Thank you ADS-B.............and it's free so long as you can awaken the ground station to send you your traffic picture. I use the SkyguardTWX ADSB out transmitter. Seems to be working great. I get all the mode C traffic within 15nm and +/- 3500 ft of my altitude. 4e8adu8y.jpgavy9evyp.jpg