panel upgrade guidance for new M20C owner

DXB

My first post.  I feel privileged as a newbie to join this great community after just buying my first plane, a 1968 M20C (N2971L).    The plane got a prebuy inspection at Cole Aviation in Dalton, GA and will come home to Philadelphia (KPNE) after getting some work finished there.   The air frame, interior, and paint are in terrific shape, and the 600hr engine seems ok for now. 

But the panel certainly could be better (pics attached).  I'm just finishing my private now (checkride shortly), and this is the plane that I want to do my instrument training in and hopefully be able to keep for many years.  I'm looking into a major panel upgrade, and I think my budget and panel space will tolerate the following:

Garmin GTN 650, STEC-30 autopilot, JPI 900 engine monitor, Garmin GTX330 w/ES transponder, Garmin GMA 340 audio panel. 

I also want clean up the haphazard mess of breaker and switch labeling that's there now, maybe add Nulite, and other cosmetic improvements.

Can the experienced folks on here give me some guidance on picking a shop and getting the job done?   My local options seem to be:

1. Penn Avionics in Brandywine (KOQN)- my closest shop, but just changed owners and reportedly is quite disorganized right now.  I contacted them, and they stated that they have temporarily lost their Garmin dealer status and wanted to sell me Bendix avionics instead.
2. Airmods in Robbinsville (N87)- They seem to have a very strong reputation overall as a Mooney Service Center, but I'm not sure how much avionics work they do.  They seem interested in the job but they are not an avionics dealer.   Can someone school me on how this would work for a certified install?  
3. Lancaster Avionics and Henry Weber Aircraft (KLNS)-  I have not spoken to them yet, but I think that the panel, engine monitor, and avionics work could be split between the two shops.  Does anyone have experience with them?   I saw mentioned elsewhere on here that they are reputable but their prices run on the high side.

Are there any details that folks feel I should ask about when setting up the job? And anything else that I should get done to the panel specifically?

Much obliged!!!

post-12908-0-57541800-1415833716_thumb.j

post-12908-0-97279000-1415833725_thumb.j

post-12908-0-02370900-1415833736_thumb.j

post-12908-0-11243600-1415833745_thumb.j

• Like 1

Weber is where I take my M model since its been out of warranty for the last 7 yrs, a quality shop Dorn is quite knowledgeable ..I think Lancaster avionics is quite pricy..have not been happy...Red Eagle at KILG does nice work, I have had no problems dealing with them for 25+ yrs....You will have a sweet baby when you complete your list of goodies good luck..welcome to the family..

I would recommend Agape Avionics (formerly Penn avionics) at Brandywine. They helped me do my panel in my 68' C and it came out fantastic! I fly to KPNE all the time as I have good friends that do a lot of the maintenance work for some of the aircraft owners there. I'd be happy to show you my plane sometime if you're interested, I can pm you my contact info.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My plane was done by Lancaster and the previous owner.  He was happy and so am I... I would add to your MUST list the GDL-88 for ADSB.  Given all the other Garmin stuff probably no hit to installation and you'll be glad you did.  I'm looking to add that now to my 430 panel.

BILL

(my panel pics in my Gallery).

Interestingly I have worked with several of the shops mentioned.

- Agape Avionics is the former Penn Avionics and is under new management. Bill Dunn their service manager is on this forum and contributes. They did my Aspen, Garmin and PS audio panel. It works and my complaints about their lack of responsiveness has been addressed with the new ownership. I have met with their ownership and it is clear they are trying to get the business back on track.

- Lancaster Avionics worked on my plane this past summer. Bad, bad, bad, bad experience. Won't be going there again. The shop was sold by Mark to Todd some time back and I think this may be the reason for the change. They also quoted me $8,000 more than the next highest quote on the stuff I had installed. Based on my experience this past summer, they are still high priced. PM me if you need or want details.

- Red Eagle did my STEC 60-2 install. The workmanship by Dale is exemplary. The shop was sold a few years ago and I think Dale for the most part is a one man shop. Dale is grumpy but does great work.

- Boshart did my Narco transponder back in the 1990s. Still in the panel and still working. Jeff I believe has handed over most of the avionics activities to Brian. I also used them before the Narco when they were just getting started in avionics. They helped me through a number of issues with my KX-170Bs. If you own or owned one, you know the issues ;)

• Like 1

Garmin GTN 650, STEC-30 autopilot, JPI 900 engine monitor, Garmin GTX330 w/ES transponder, Garmin GMA 340 audio panel. 

I would reconsider the GMA 340 for something like the PS 8000 or 8000B. Garmin does not do well on shielding their audio panels from EMI.  PS does it better.  I have two Narco radios (notorious for being "dirty") and I had to replace my GMA 340 with an audio panel that could actually work with them - PS 8000 (slide in replacement for the 340).

• Like 1

Be sure to contact Brian Nelson, on here as "orionflt". He owns a vintage Mooney and is an A&P. He lives NW of Philly.

Chuck M.

(in Lower Bucks)

+1.

Brian once took five minutes to clear a problem that had been bugging me and an avionics shop for a week.  He found where the coax to Comm #2 was not connected to the antenna in the back.

I went with the JPI EDM930 and got rid of the old engine gauge cluster, tach/map etc. Cleaned up the panel and narrowed the scan. The work was done @ 8A6 in NC, the shop cut and silk screened the new panel, did the instruments and all the avionics. Zero call backs in 2 years.

I also went with the GTN 750 after comparing the price vs. advantages to the 650.

And the GDL 88 for traffic, weather and ADS-B compliance. I'd recommned you weight the difference. The bigger screen is very nice. I also went with an Aspen PFD 1000 Pro to get a HSI and GPSS. A huge reduction of workload for single pilot IFR flying.

Last item would be a stormscope while you're laying out a completely new panel. Perhaps a used unit as I don't think the technology has changed much. 

Several more pics of my '66E  before and after are in gallery.

post-8913-0-51689000-1415882501_thumb.jp

I went with the JPI EDM930 and got rid of the old engine gauge cluster, tach/map etc. Cleaned up the panel and narrowed the scan. The work was done @ 8A6 in NC, the shop cut and silk screened the new panel, did the instruments and all the avionics. Zero call backs in 2 years.

I also went with the GTN 750 after comparing the price vs. advantages to the 650.

And the GDL 88 for traffic, weather and ADS-B compliance. I'd recommned you weight the difference. The bigger screen is very nice. I also went with an Aspen PFD 1000 Pro to get a HSI and GPSS. A huge reduction of workload for single pilot IFR flying.

Last item would be a stormscope while you're laying out a completely new panel. Perhaps a used unit as I don't think the technology has changed much.

Several more pics of my '66E before and after are in gallery.

You know Bob, after looking (and seeing in person) your panel over the past year, I think it is time you upgrade that number 2 Nav to a 650. It's time... :)

You know Bob, after looking (and seeing in person) your panel over the past year, I think it is time you upgrade that number 2 Nav to a 650. It's time... :)

Chris, I'll get right on it. Of course all I ever use that radio for is ATIS... but hey... it is an eyesore. 

(I sure wish I had your STEC60-2 or is it a 55? My STEC50 does not support FD which I guess spending $3000 for Aspen SV less useful.? do you have to pay a Jepp subscription for your Aspens?)

Chris, I'll get right on it. Of course all I ever use that radio for is ATIS... but hey... it is an eyesore.

(I sure wish I had your STEC60-2 or is it a 55? My STEC50 does not support FD which I guess spending $3000 for Aspen SV less useful.? do you have to pay a Jepp subscription for your Aspens?)

Please get right on it. That 155 is so 1980ish. ;)

I have an STEC 60-2. Great autopilot made even better with the GPSS from the Aspen. The flight director is nice, especially on a missed approach. I think you will need to ask Oscar about SV. I'm not sure if the FD is required with the SV.

As for databases. The only required one that needs to be updated is the GTN Nav. Of course, I update them all. Including the charts on the Aspen and the Nav database on the Aspen.

Yeah, I keep the 750 and the 696 current @ $1500+ including approach plates on both. But I love leaving 40 pounds of paper Jepps in the hanger!

As I understand it the SV does not require FD but there's a feature of SV where you hold a dot on the landing point and keep it there to fly the VNAV that I think might require FD. Not sure about that. And not sure if the Aspen SV works like the Garmin (500, 1000?) SV which is what the guys @ SSI were familiar with and bragging about.

I recently sold my M20C, which I had completely upgraded the panel on, including an Aspen. I can tell you that the pride of ownership goes way up when you're staring at your hard earned dollars in an instrument panel.

As a result of my putting in an Aspen, I have a couple of never used NuLItes that I had purchased for the DG and Horizon; I recently found them when going through the old stuff from my hangar cleanup when I sold the plane. Id be glad to sell them at a significant discount from retail if you're interested, the packaging is a little weathered from being in the Hangar, but they've never been opened. 

Rob

Yeah, I keep the 750 and the 696 current @ $1500+ including approach plates on both. But I love leaving 40 pounds of paper Jepps in the hanger!

As I understand it the SV does not require FD but there's a feature of SV where you hold a dot on the landing point and keep it there to fly the VNAV that I think might require FD. Not sure about that. And not sure if the Aspen SV works like the Garmin (500, 1000?) SV which is what the guys @ SSI were familiar with and bragging about.

Ewwww, I got to check that feature out.

Please get right on it. That 155 is so 1980ish. ;)

I have an STEC 60-2. Great autopilot made even better with the GPSS from the Aspen. The flight director is nice, especially on a missed approach. I think you will need to ask Oscar about SV. I'm not sure if the FD is required with the SV.

As for databases. The only required one that needs to be updated is the GTN Nav. Of course, I update them all. Including the charts on the Aspen and the Nav database on the Aspen.

Chris,

I heard you were thinking of upgrading your autopilot. You know I'd be happy to take it off your hands if you ever go that route!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk