ELT choice - PIREPs sought

Robert C.

Well, the received wisdom is right: after you buy you find a host of things in need of fixing or upgrading in the 1st year that the pre-buy didn't catch :(

My local AP just looked at my ELT because i noticed the battery date is due this weekend. First he finds that the current batteries are installed upside down, then he realizes they are the wrong part number; he replaces them with correct batteries and finds that the ELT is dead. This ELT was inspected at an annual in August by a presumably reputable MSC....hmmmm....

Anyway, i now have 90 days to get a new ELT installed. My AP would rather not play with the GPS interface so if he replaces the old unit with a new version of the same I need a trip to an avionics shop. Alternatively I can buy one with the GPS built in. Also, am upgrading to 406 as long as I'm spending money anyway.

Anyone have experience with or advice regarding:

Emerging Lifesaving Technologies 406 ELT with internal GPS $1200 

Artex ELT 1000 Single Output 406 ELT $998 (?) 

Kannad 406 AF INTEGRA $855 

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Robert

When you install an ELT, remember that the cost of batteries over the years may exceed the cost of the ELT.  Take a look at what the replacement batteries cost and how long they last.  If they have to be replaced by a technician, go for the long life battery options.

I haven't found any 406 ELT's that have the owner replaceable Duracell option.....

the 121.5 ELTs are legal, but i don't really see the benefit of having one. Frequency is not monitored for emergency signals, so it'd be random if a passing aircraft received your signal. If you go down in an area with a lot of air traffic the odds are there is a lot of ground activity as well and someone witnessed your crash.

The more remote you fly the less the chances of being heard/found.

The 406 is "heard" by satellites so you have continuous and complete coverage.

A couple years ago I went to a tech session at Maxwell's and the creator/manufacturer of the this unit gave a presentation about this product.  It is the only one on my list and I plan to upgrade in the next couple of years when I do a few more mods.  The GPS is internal, so you don't need to interface with the panel-mount boxes.  It still needs a switch on the panel, though.  (All do).  He shared two stories of "finds" with that unit that were only able to transmit a single ping to the satellites.  One was a seaplane in AK that sunk quickly, and the other was a transport that crashed (CFIT) in Antartica.  He also told a story of the battery test at some gov't facility where they set it off inside a lab inside of a hangar on a Friday afternoon.  It was still transmitting on Monday morning, and there had been multiple satellite pings as the signal was strong enough to radiate through the window of a door and catch a satellite coming over the horizon!  It has a nice, durable blade antenna that can easily live under the dorsal fairing too.

A couple years ago I went to a tech session at Maxwell's and the creator/manufacturer of the this unit gave a presentation about this product.  It is the only one on my list and I plan to upgrade in the next couple of years when I do a few more mods.  The GPS is internal, so you don't need to interface with the panel-mount boxes.  It still needs a switch on the panel, though.  (All do).  He shared two stories of "finds" with that unit that were only able to transmit a single ping to the satellites.  One was a seaplane in AK that sunk quickly, and the other was a transport that crashed (CFIT) in Antartica.  He also told a story of the battery test at some gov't facility where they set it off inside a lab inside of a hangar on a Friday afternoon.  It was still transmitting on Monday morning, and there had been multiple satellite pings as the signal was strong enough to radiate through the window of a door and catch a satellite coming over the horizon!  It has a nice, durable blade antenna that can easily live under the dorsal fairing too.

I went to that fly in as well.  And I ended up putting the Emerging Lifesavings Technologies ELT in my plane.   It has given me no problems in the 6 months since I installed it.  My thoughts were:  As long as I need to have an ELT, I might as well get one that tells them where to look.  It seems important if flying over water or isolated areas.  And for the true test.  If I had to make the decision again, I would buy this same unit. 

There were two things.  The install took a little longer than the estimate.  And the battery came with a coupon for some money off a replacement, since the included battery had some calendar time on it. 

I've heard that if the aircraft crashes where there isn't a clear view of the sky (into a forest, for example) the new 406 ELT may not be able to link to a satellite.

Also, if the 406 ELT survives the crash, but your GPS source does not, there may be no position reported, just the triangulated position.

Anyone know if this is true?

As far as 121.5, I'd say that east of the Mississippi, there are enough airliners that monitor guard, there will be no problem having it reported.  Maybe not so good in the mid-section of the country.

I hate putting a lot of money into something I sincerely hope I never use!   ;)

I believe the ELT will store the last GPS position and broadcast that, so it is way better than nothing.  I'm not sure if the locations are stored every second, minute, 10 minutes, etc.  The ELT Chris and I are talking about has an integral GPS that shares the antenna with the ELT portion and it has already demonstrated at least one successful ping/location with a catastrophic crash (flying into a mountain/cliff).  

it is also my understanding the triangulated position (after a few sweeps of the satellites) is still superior to the 121.5 tech.  It might just take some time (hours) for that to get pinpointed, vs. instantaneous with the GPS data option.

I have the Emerging Lifesaving Technology 406 in my 231. Although it is more costly that several others, it has it's own GPS and 2 axis GPS antenna in its fin antenna. Once you pay to have a technician plug in your ships GPS to the ELT, the cost is probably the same. Also, not relying on the ships GPS and the connection eliminates 2 failure points. I am happy with the purchase, but have not used it. I don't want to use it.

Another thing I like agout is is the fin antenna is more structurally sound than a little wip antenna. It has 2 planes of antenna elements so if the aircraft was on it's side, would still tansmit.

• Like 1

And FWIW, that unit does not interface to ship's power, and the battery has a 10 year lifespan unless that has changed.

What kind of issues did you have with the installation?  I would've guessed the standalone nature would make it pretty simple.

The install time just took a bit longer than the ELT published estimate.  I  think the time was spent wiring to the panel and building connectors.   Anyway I am happy with the work from my mechanic, even if he was a bit slow.  You may wish to combine the install with a visit to someone who has installed this ELT  on a Mooney a few times. 

Thanks guys, this is extremely helpful.

As I'm doing my homework I just ran across the name "Skyhunter 406 ELT" also with an internal GPS and apparently independent of ship power. I don't see any complaints about them, or compliments for that matter.

Robert

I'm sure I'll do it myself when the time comes as I plan to combine it with a retrofit of the later model overhead ventilation system... a big project.

I was mistaken earlier.  I thought it has a 10 year battery but looking at the website it is 5 years, with an approximate cost of $200, owner-changeable.

There's a review of the Emerging Lifesaving Technology 406 installation in a Mooney in the Mooney Flyer for Sept 2012. 

http://www.themooneyflyer.com/issues/MooneyFlyerSeptember2012.pdf

Disclosure- I wrote it.

The ELT has been fine for 3 years so far, and passes the self-test which I run about every 60 days.  

In 2015 I will need the first battery replacement - about $210 for a 5 year battery.  

• Like 1

There's a review of the Emerging Lifesaving Technology 406 installation in a Mooney in the Mooney Flyer for Sept 2012. 

http://www.themooneyflyer.com/issues/MooneyFlyerSeptember2012.pdf

Disclosure- I wrote it.

The ELT has been fine for 3 years so far, and passes the self-test which I run about every 60 days.  

In 2015 I will need the first battery replacement - about $210 for a 5 year battery.  

I believe your article quoted 8 hours for the install. That is consistent with my install experience.

• 4 years later...

PIREP: Five years ago when I needed to replace my 121.5 old unit, I did a lot of research on ELTs. The Pointer Avionics SkyHunter 406 ELT was definitely the best choice out there at the time with its built-in GPS. Also, I learned that a higher than acceptable percentage of the time ELTs do not go off because of the attitude of the impact, airplane ELTs only go off in the forward direction. People have died after surviving the crash but found too long to be saved (Steve Fossett??). I learned that helicopter ELTs will activate in any inertial direction of impact. Needless to say, if you crash, you want your ELT to work, every time; "usually" is not good enough, and that is the model I bought. This is worth thinking about whatever brand you buy.

Anyway, I did buy the SkyHunter and all has been fine until now. It is five years later and the battery is now due for replacement. I found out that Pointer Avionics is either out of business or not making ELTs anymore, in either case, batteries are no longer available. Luckily (and the reason I am posting this), I found a thread on another site that MERL in Meriden, Connecticut (203.237.8811) is able to "overhaul" the battery and certify it airworthy for another five years. 

They charge $300 for the battery and $135 for testing and recertifying the ELT. They say they typically turn it around in a couple days. Rob also said they are trying to work out an arrangement with the guy who owned the now-defunct Pointer Avionics so they can do the batteries as a PMA, hopefully, that will happen before five years runs down to my next replacement.

Also, they mentioned if you have a spare ELT sitting around the hangar, they may buy it from you for parts.