Amelia Earhart Castaway?

Piloto

C'mon guys, let's dare to dream a little bit. I've read all the findings and I don't believe this group is sensationalizing anything. They describe their theories with the right mixture of facts and conjecture tied to what they've found.  The evidence is certainly compelling at any rate, especially the artifacts they've discovered on land. The "suspect sonar signature" doesn't look anything like an airplane to me, but I'm no expert on reading sonograms so who knows.

Wouldn't it be cool to put at least this one mystery to bed? Then they can determine who REALLY shot JFK!

Jeff_S,

Check the history of TIGHAR and you might have a different opinion. I'm not saying that there isn't good evidence to suggest they may have found a piece off Earharts aircraft, it needs to be substantiated by someone with credibility and not TIGHAR.

David

C'mon guys, let's dare to dream a little bit. I've read all the findings and I don't believe this group is sensationalizing anything. They describe their theories with the right mixture of facts and conjecture tied to what they've found.  The evidence is certainly compelling at any rate, especially the artifacts they've discovered on land. The "suspect sonar signature" doesn't look anything like an airplane to me, but I'm no expert on reading sonograms so who knows.

Wouldn't it be cool to put at least this one mystery to bed? Then they can determine who REALLY shot JFK!

The suit model on the grassy knoll?  Loved that line from Zoolander.

-Seth

I've read the history I can find.  I'm not saying I know everything about this, but from what I can gather the irony is that a lawsuit has been filed claiming they actually DID find the plane and are covering it up.  I've seen the video that purports to show the evidence, and it looks pretty benign to me. Never mind the fact that if they HAD found the wreckage, they would have money pouring over them in buckets for all sorts of media deals. So to assert that they hid the finding in order to raise more funds doesn't pass the smell test to me.

Jeff -- TIGHAR has been looking for Amelia for years. They were originally based out of Delaware and I believe recently moved to Oxford, PA. They are privately funded and it seems like when they are ready to do another road trip some new "evidence" comes up and push for funding follows.

I don't think they have found anything, but little tidbits of evidence shows up from them and a big push to investigate ensues. You're right that if they did find it, they would be dealing with the windfalls that the Titanic guys did.

TIGHAR ( The International Group for Historic Aircraft Recovery) has recovered how many airplanes? None!

David, you sound like a ticked-off donor.  Otherwise why the vehemence? As long as the group is not fraudulently absconding with other people's money...and aside from one lawsuit that seems frivolous on its merits, I can't find any other evidence to suggest this...then what's the harm in searching? It's never been a crime to seek donations for any cause, even stupid ones, as long as the full disclosure is made. And wouldn't it be great if they actually DID solve the Amelia Earhart mystery?

I choose to dare to believe it's possible.

David, you sound like a ticked-off donor.  Otherwise why the vehemence? As long as the group is not fraudulently absconding with other people's money...and aside from one lawsuit that seems frivolous on its merits, I can't find any other evidence to suggest this...then what's the harm in searching? It's never been a crime to seek donations for any cause, even stupid ones, as long as the full disclosure is made. And wouldn't it be great if they actually DID solve the Amelia Earhart mystery?

I choose to dare to believe it's possible.

Hi Jeff, thankfully I've never given this group any money and my dislike comes from hearing about their shenanigans for the last 15 years or so when they make a stunning discovery. They've taken plenty of people's money with little or no results of historic aircraft recovery.

I too would like to believe, but until an organization with credibility and no ties to TIGHAR in any way shape or form verifies this new evidence, am left a huge skeptic.

David

The article says that the artifact was found in 1991. If my math is correct (it could be wrong), that was 23 years ago. Why did they suddenly come out with this revelation now?

I've always followed stuff like this, hoping that one day during my lifetime the aircraft would be found, and learned from experience to disregard these kinds of "new evidence".

• 2 weeks later...

After they solve that one, they will be accepting donations for the next 150 years as they search for MH370.

It's going to be tough for them to find a deserted island big enough have the passengers and crew living as castaways. Still I'm sure they can come up with something and with all those relatives wanting closure, there is a virtual goldmine of employment opportunity.

Sure! Even made a movie about their return to the world, sometime in the 80s.

Gilli-gaaaaaaannn, the Skip-per too. The millll-yonaaaaaaaire and his wiiiife. The mooooovie stah, the profes-sor and . . . Mari-Aaaanne . . . Heeeerrre on Gilli-gaaannn's Iiiiiiiiiiislllle!!!

Seems the movie ended with them re-stranded on the island . . . If only MH370 will turn out as neatly, if not so nicely.

Oh, I'm sorry. TIGHAR wasn't involved in finding (or restranding) the Castaways. They got lost in a boat, not an airplane.

What I don't understand, they are now making a big deal from an aluminum panel discovered in 1991. Did it really take them 23 years to figure out what it is? That seems to factor against their status as "experts." At work, I am sometimes given a couple of weeks to figure things out, but sometimes only an hour or two. But 23 YEARS???? Really?