King Air Down in Wichita :-(

fantom

2 dead, at least 4 critically injured and 5 missing after plane crash at Wichita Mid-Continent Airport

Oct 30th 2014, Ryan Gorman 

•  
"Two people are confirmed dead after a twin-engine plane crashed just before 10:00 a.m. Thursday morning at the Wichita airport, authorities said.

An additional five people are unaccounted for and four are critically injured after the Beechcraft King Air 200 struck the Flight Safety building after experiencing engine troubles, authorities said during a morning press briefing.

The 10-seat plane encountered the engine problems shortly after takeoff and was trying to return to the airport when it crashed, according to an FAA statement.

More than 100 people work inside the Flight Safety building. Most have been accounted for, according to officials. Additional injuries are possible, and many ambulances were seen leaving the scene.

The aircraft can hold as many as 13 people, including crew, but officials believe there was only one person aboard when the accident occurred.

Images from the scene show smoke and flames shooting out of the flight safety building at Mid-Continent Airport. The raging fire burned for about 30 minutes until being put out by firefighters.

"Firefighters engaged in a horrific firefight for several minutes," said Wichita Fire Department spokesperson Ron Blackwell. "We now have the fire under control."

Upwards of 50 firefighters responded from the city and battled the blaze alongside airport fire fighters, he added.

There is no indication the fire has spread to any of the airport's other buildings. Air traffic has been unaffected by the accident.

"The first thing that went through my mind when I heard the crash and saw the smoke was that I was concerned for the lives of everybody," witness Jon Weaver, who works across the street from the crash, told KSN.

The building houses a flight school and flight simulators, according to Weaver, but it is not known how many people work there.

This is a developing story, more information will come as it is made available."

It's quite a mess.  Some of the newsies asked during the press conference if the fatalities were in a simulator and they wouldn't confirm.  The building is in jeopardy as well, so Flight Safety will be severely impacted going forward.

It was a Beech-owned King Air 200 that I'm guessing was taken back on a trade or similar arrangement, and it was apparently heading to their facility in Mena, AR with only the pilot on board.

It is wickedly ironic that the plane crashed into a Flight Safety International building.  Hollywood couldn't even script that up.  It will be very interesting to learn what details they can from this accident. 

AARGH!!!

Please be careful guys and gals. I was scanning through some different news reports on this (taken with a big grain of salt) and it was pointed out the plane had just completed some extensive maintenance.  could it have been the dreaded annual or 100hr inspection.  I HATE THOSE!   I know, lets take a perfectly good running airplane apart stirr up all its vital parts put it all back together and hope the damn thing still runs. IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT.  I have had most of my scares on my first test flight following an annual.

God be with the families.

• Like 2

AARGH!!!

Please be careful guys and gals. I was scanning through some different news reports on this (taken with a big grain of salt) and it was pointed out the plane had just completed some extensive maintenance.  could it have been the dreaded annual or 100hr inspection.  I HATE THOSE!   I know, lets take a perfectly good running airplane apart stirr up all its vital parts put it all back together and hope the damn thing still runs. IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT.  I have had most of my scares on my first test flight following an annual.

The real trick is getting the maintenance done on the last flight before the failure. Until we can figure out that timing we'll continue inspecting.

Clarence

AARGH!!!

King Airs aren't going to get annuals or 100 hour inspections as our Mooney's do. It's a whole different maint program on them so there's no telling if any or what maintenance was done.

Very sad day.

David

I admit I don't know the requirements for the King air and I was only commenting on the info that was being reported. What I do know is that my personnel experience has been problems that have happened on the test flight following an annual. A couple of minor and a couple that resulted with lets just say close calls. When something like this happens I always feel a real loss even though they are people I don't know they are flyers and part of a community that I hold in high regard.

FEDEX twin turbo prop just crashed after takeoff at St. Maarten Island yesterday.

http://www.thedailyherald.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=51134:one-missing-one-dead-after-fedex-plane-crash&catid=1:islands-news&Itemid=54   

Take off is the most stressful time on an engine. Having two doubles the chances of engine failure. And doubles the amount of burning fuel. 

José

I admit I don't know the requirements for the King air and I was only commenting on the info that was being reported. What I do know is that my personnel experience has been problems that have happened on the test flight following an annual. A couple of minor and a couple that resulted with lets just say close calls. When something like this happens I always feel a real loss even though they are people I don't know they are flyers and part of a community that I hold in high regard.

The way to avoid these type of post maintenance issues is by taking the maintainer along on the test flight. Having them strap their soft pink body in beside you helps clear their mind as to a good job.

Avoiding this type of maintainer is the solution, not avoiding the maintenance.

Clarence

I agree Clarence, I'm not suggesting we not have inspections just saying things tend to happen after work is done. As owner pilots we have a big responsibility to keep our aircraft safe and the test flight is just one of those tasks that must be done.

AARGH!!!

Please be careful guys and gals. I was scanning through some different news reports on this (taken with a big grain of salt) and it was pointed out the plane had just completed some extensive maintenance. could it have been the dreaded annual or 100hr inspection. I HATE THOSE! I know, lets take a perfectly good running airplane apart stirr up all its vital parts put it all back together and hope the damn thing still runs. IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT. I have had most of my scares on my first test flight following an annual.

Not to hijack but, I just had overhaul due to cam shaft, and as part of the over haul the fuel servo gets overhauled. It worked perfectly prior to overhaul and last Sunday the engine went dead upon reducing throttle on down wind as fuel flow would not decrease.

If I had a do over I would have only overhauled the case and inspect mags and had logs reflect that.

Invasive maintenance sucks!