Ovation Engine Question

BillC

Hey guys,

It's me again. After the response from the previous post I started, I've decided to pursue an Ovation.

My question : Is the IO-550G engine part of the "B" upgrade (wetheads)?

I have included a link to the Ovation I'm looking at. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks again,

Bill

http://www.trade-a-plane.com/detail/1779658.html.

Don't think the Wethead conversion was ever part of the 550/Ovation story, purely Bravo.

So you'd have the same solid TCM 550G the rest of us Ovation drivers have.

Don't know anything about that particular Ovation but looks like it has a nice panel for its age. 530W, basic engine monitor, coupled approaches all good. Relatively low time.

Reads like a good candidate but I haven't been tracking prices for a while and have no idea if it is a good value at that price.

Good luck!

The Bravo mod only applies to the M20M with the Lycoming TIO-540.  (unfortunately the angle valve IO-360 could use it too IMO!)

That Ovation looks pretty nice to me.  Not sure about the price/value with those...doesn't seem unreasonable.  With that usage and vintage I'd insist on borescoping some of the valves to see how they're wearing since Continental in the 90s wasn't installing valves very well and that led to a lot of cylinder replacements at 800-1000 hours.  They might be doing fine, though.

It looks ok, but 900 hr in 17 yr is about an hour a week of flying, at some point a lack of flying is a bad thing I'm not sure what the magic number is. The O2 bottle is composite and has a 15 yr life cycle, that's about 1600$ plus labor to install. If it's been hangared all it's life that's a plus, but ya never know about airplanes, seems like there's always something with them. I think the 550 is a pretty good engine, 280 hp isn't asking a lot of it.

My favorite topic... IO-550s!

How about we start one step back....?

There are a few engine choices for the O. All are good.

They started with the 280hp IO-550(g) that was limited to 2500 rpm.

The upgrades came along to increase hp to 310, by raising rpm to 2700.

If you are swapping the engine out today, you may consider the latest version, of the IO-550 (n). The (n) is complete with the 2700 rpm redline and the cylinders are updated with funky shaped cooling fins.

A 280 hp O will be off the ground in 1,200 feet.

The same bird with the Standing O package will be off the ground nearer to 800 feet. The TopProp scimitar prop is sweet!

Pursue the O with passion,

-a-

My favorite topic... IO-550s!

How about we start one step back....?

There are a few engine choices for the O. All are good.

They started with the 280hp IO-550(g) that was limited to 2500 rpm.

The upgrades came along to increase hp to 310, by raising rpm to 2700.

If you are swapping the engine out today, you may consider the latest version, of the IO-550 (n). The (n) is complete with the 2700 rpm redline and the cylinders are updated with funky shaped cooling fins.

A 280 hp O will be off the ground in 1,200 feet.

The same bird with the Standing O package will be off the ground nearer to 800 feet. The TopProp scimitar prop is sweet!

Pursue the O with passion,

-a-

Also note: The IP photo seems to be showing an older JPI than a JPI 800?

Nope that's a JPI EDM 800 in the picture     https://www.jpinstruments.com/shop/ed-800/

The 830 is completely different, but the 800 is basically a 700 with Fuel Flow added and interfaced to the GPS. I get them confused all the time and have to go to JPI's website to make sure.

That's a beautiful Ovation you're looking at! Nice choice