M20F vs M20K

This last weekend I went to visit a friend and flew a 1967 M20F.   It's not the first time I have flown this plane, but the first time since I purchased my M20K about 2 years ago. 

I couldn't help but compare the M20F to my M20K.  Well, the K is definitely faster, but the F gets off the ground much faster, has much less nose up on a go around with flaps, and it floats less on landing.   The bottom line is that I would be thrilled to own either plane.

Unfortunately, over the course of the weekend, the M20F developed an engine problem and we had to quit flying.  The prop would not cycle, likely an internal engine problem due to a recent overhaul.   -The mechanic connected air pressure to the prop control, and it would not cycle.  You could also hear the air leak in the oil fill.  So, we switched planes to a 177, and I got a little bit of spin training.  --Wow, I almost had to change my underwear.

Why would a k float more?  All I can think is that you are consistently a little too fast in the k vs its actual stall speed vs how fast you were flaring in the f vs its actual stall speed.

It could be my speeds, but I usually land with the stall horn on.  It could have been the temperature too, as I was up north.  I'll have to check the landing distances in the POH for both. 

It could be my speeds, but I usually land with the stall horn on.  It could have been the temperature too, as I was up north.  I'll have to check the landing distances in the POH for both. 

If you have stall horn blaring you are probably pretty darn close to on speed.

Why would a k float more?  All I can think is that you are consistently a little too fast in the k vs its actual stall speed vs how fast you were flaring in the f vs its actual stall speed.

I looked up the landing distance for the M20F at sea level and gross weight, the distance is 1785 feet.  For my 231, it is 2275.    A very noticeable ~500 feet (30%)  longer for the K.  And the F has more useful load with full fuel.  I'm now  convinced I would be happy with any Mooney!  Well almost any Mooney.  I'm not sure about an unconverted D, but I could convert it.

Chris, you don't need to worry about converting a D model. There's only three (3) unconverted D's left flying.

My stall born squalls every landing before the tires touch, except when the wind is very gusty or strong across the runway.

I looked up the landing distance for the M20F at sea level and gross weight, the distance is 1785 feet.  For my 231, it is 2275.    A very noticeable ~500 feet (30%)  longer for the K.  And the F has more useful load with full fuel.  I'm now  convinced I would be happy with any Mooney!  Well almost any Mooney.  I'm not sure about an unconverted D, but I could convert it.

But that's a different issue possibly.  I don't know the M20F tables, but it is lighter, so I suspect that it has a lower stall speed so a full stall landing will be at a slower speed, meaning a shorter roll out vs a full stall landing of the heavier M20K which will be at a higher speed so a longer roll out.

The F is also more draggy than the K.  So it slows down better and is less slippery.  It is also lighter with a less heavy engine and thus has less momentum to stop on landing or start on takeoff.  The E gets off the runway probably the quickest due to it's even lighter weight/less mass.

-Seth

The F is also more draggy than the K.  So it slows down better and is less slippery.  It is also lighter with a less heavy engine and thus has less momentum to stop on landing or start on takeoff.  The E gets off the runway probably the quickest due to it's even lighter weight/less mass.

-Seth

Mine doesn't like to slow down. 

A friend of mine used to own a 1981 M20K and I liked it a lot. It was way more efficient than my F and at around 8500ft and 26" MP, it normally cruised around 160 - 165kts, burning a mere 9.6 gal/hr. Can't remember what rpm setting he used.

It was extremely quiet inside, to such an extent that he never owned headsets, but it was certainly way more cramped than my F ito shoulder room inside the cockpit.