Mooney Paint Scheme

M20Kid

I currently own a 1981 Mooney 231, which is still sporting the paint it got from the factory over 30 years ago.  While the paint is in basically good condition, some recent hail has gotten the insurance company to offer a new paint job.  The original paint scheme looks good to my eye but it's perhaps a bit dated, and I'm looking for something that will be tasteful and accent the lines of a Mooney.  For those who visited the Mooney tent at Oshkosh this year, you may remember a board with eight different paint schemes that Mooney was evaluating for the next corporate scheme.  One of those caught my eye and I'm leaning toward that one, but I'm looking for suggestions on finding or creating something new.

I can't be the first person to find themselves in this conundrum and I would appreciate any suggestions to help finalize the decision.  Time is rather critical because the airplane was delivered to the paint shop yesterday and they told me they would be painting in about two weeks.  Please feel free to send any and all suggestions and/or pictures.

Thanks to everyone!

There have been a few paint schemes with a couple of vendors supplying the designs.

The design aspect is low cost.

One member used the same firm on his Mooney and then on his twin...

There is a photo around here with the Mooney being copied by it's stablemate (a corporate jet).

My favorite unique paint job would be the Mooney sporting...

D-Day stripes

LoneStar cowl

Big Eagle down the side

Peter's waving checkered flag

Go unique!

How does that sound?

-a-

Many of use used a freelance scheme designer with a great eye for Mooneys and very reasonable price, but unfortunately he recently passed away.  I'd suggest browsing the galleries here for ideas, and then try to make something your own.  Mooneys are tricky IMO because of the unique tail and the shape of the fuselage.

A combination of these two would look great, personally I would use the first one without the stripe that comes from the rear window and to accentuate the tail I would use the red tail section of the second and extend the checkered pattern all the way to the back...maybe different base color, light gray rather than white. Sorry, thinking out loud, perhaps it's time for a new paint job for my j.

post-7936-0-21749300-1411091286_thumb.jp

post-7936-0-56529900-1411091306_thumb.jp

I agree, I personally think that simple is best. I would do the first without the stripe coming out of the back window and I would definitely do the tail in one color to make it stick out, no need for the checker board........I want a paint job now!

A combination of these two would look great, personally I would use the first one without the stripe that comes from the rear window and to accentuate the tail I would use the red tail section of the second and extend the checkered pattern all the way to the back...maybe different base color, light gray rather than white. Sorry, thinking out loud, perhaps it's time for a new paint job for my j.

Those are awesome... I know red is "the mooney color." But maybe metallic green and silver or deep blue and metallic gold. Awesome... Those are on my list!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the great suggestions.  I decided to use a combination of one of the Mooney designs from Oshkosh, but change the tail to reflect the original paint scheme on my airplane.  If Mooney decides to use the same paint scheme I've chosen, I don't want my airplane to look exactly like all the others. I think I want the red to be more burgundy but overall I really like the way this turned out.  The wings will be the same as the design on the Mooney board.

I haven't tried to attach pictures before, but here's the sketch from the paint shop showing how it should look when complete.

post-8912-0-01007100-1413472238_thumb.jp

• Like 4

The paint shop I'm using is Arizona Aircraft Painting located at KFFZ - Falcon Field in Mesa, AZ.  Mostly I chose them because that's where I base my airplane.  I thought about using other places but I decided to go with a local company in case I need touch up work later.  Also, I can drop in on them from time to time and check on the progress.

• Like 1

Good catch!  I wondered about the airframe choice, too (good help is hard to find!).  Except for the change on the tail, the paint scheme is shown on the Mooney International Facebook page on a new airframe and it keeps a great look.  On the actual Mooney design, the wings are done with a complementary design, also not shown on the line drawing I received.

The POH may be a good source for the actual line drawing for your plane.

You can use your Idevice to scan the page to share with your paint scheme guys.

The K cowling is at least a cylinder width longer than the C. It would be better to get this issue straightened out before they make full size paint plans.... Something or someone will get confused.

Best regards,

-a-

I was thinking about that grey stripe, as well.  I'm not sure if I'll keep it or terminate it up front.  I do have a polished spinner and I'm trying to picture how it will look.  Photoshop can only take me so far ... hmmm ...