Mooney down, pilot walks away

ArtVandelay

The Clanton Fire Department has confirmed a small plane crashed at the Clanton airport on Tuesday evening.

Chief David Driver said they received report of a plane with engine trouble around 5:20 p.m. He said it landed at the Clanton airport and sustained major damage after coming off the runway.

The only person on board was the pilot and he was not injured.

"It definitely could have been a lot worse. In his flight path it passed over a city park where there were little league football team practicing, there were some little league baseball practicing down. He came right over them with no engine power so it definitely could have been a lot worse," Driver said.

The Federal Aviation Administration confirms they are investigating. They said a Mooney M20K aircraft originated from Austin, Texas and was headed to Fulton County Airport in Atlanta.

Was lead story on http://wsfa.com

I found an updated article that says the owner is a doctor who lives in Florida, but had traveled to Austin for a medical conference.  He was apparently en route to visit a friend in Atlanta.  No info on a tail number, but couldn't be happier than everyone walked away healthy.

hey Guys it was me

I was cruising along at 17000 ft making 232 knots GS perfect TIT when i suddenly lost manifold pressure. I setup for best glide and feathered the prop and glided to Chilton county airport. I landed long and ran out of runway. i kept thinking of Bob Hoovers maxim fly it all the way into the crash.  I walked away unharmed but my plane is probably totaled .

I have gone through a wide range of emotions.  Thank God Im unhurt, thank God i was in a Mooney, heartbroken that my plane is in a crumpled heap, embarrassment that i couldnt make a better landing, sadness that it may be a long time before i can fly again. I started looking for other planes but i felt like i was cheating on my plane.  I couldnt imagine being happy flying another plane

at the end of the day the plane is replaceable and I am not. 

i will post pics later.

• Like 15

A+

The good thing is that you are around to mourn the loss of the aircraft.  To be very honest, and having been on the forum through some of the discussions where the pilot was no longer around, we would rather be talking about the aircraft and what happened to it, than talking about you and what you might or might not have done that would have made it turn out differently.  From the point of view of the rest of us, that makes it a perfect landing.

• Like 1

So . . . M20K, 3 bladed feathering prop, 17k ft, 232 kts . . . sounds like a Rocket is no more.  :-(

When and if you have the chance:

- 232 kts -> 87 kts best glide.  Did you trade speed for altitude or remain at 17k when transitioning to best glide speed?

- Book says 16:1 glide slope with the prop feathered.  Any thoughts on how reality compared to book values?

- Was Chilton closest or did you select that airport?

- Any approach, configuration or instrument challenges on the way down?  (How quiet was the cockpit? :-) )

Congratulations on getting it down without anyone getting hurt.  Best outcome.  Appreciate the opportunity to learn from your experiences.