O2 Oximeter

Houman

Hi,

Am I wrong to think I don't need to buy an aviation certified Oximeter ?, just a normal one would do ?.

I usually buy my stuff from aircraft spruce Canada, but their checkmate oximeter is very expensive, I was going to buy from Walmart or a pharmaceutical company, they are less than half price, but on the other hand I don't want to gamble with my life or my family life.

So would a normal oximeter would work in altitude ?

Thanks for advice...

The way a pulse ox works, it really can't give an incorrect reading. So a cheap one is as good as an expensive one.

They compare the IR transmission VS the red visible transmission at the peak and valley of arterial blood flow. The algorithm has been well known for decades. All you need is a photodiode, an IR LED, a red LED a small micro controller and a display. All very cheap these days.

The way a pulse ox works, it really can't give an incorrect reading. So a cheap one is as good as an expensive one.

They compare the IR transmission VS the red visible transmission at the peak and valley of arterial blood flow. The algorithm has been well known for decades. All you need is a photodiode, an IR LED, a red LED a small micro controller and a display. All very cheap these days.

Right - but they are cheap not because they are so simple, but because they are in huge mass production - the ones you get from Walmart I mean.  Enjoy the economy of scales.