Mooney International (Chino) wants to lease my Acclaim

Joe Zuffoletto

Got an interesting letter in the mail today from Mooney International in Chino, CA. I didn't know Mooney had any facilities outside of Kerrville, but according to LinkedIn, this facility has at least a dozen employees.

Anyway, they're offering to lease my Acclaim for 6 months, with options to renew in 6 month increments. The letter says, "The airplane would be used for sales demonstrations, air shows, and company flying."

The letter says they tracked me down through the FAA registry, so I'm guessing that other Acclaim owners will receive this letter as well.

I'm not interested in leasing to them, but I thought it was an interesting letter.

Its not so crazy of them to ask - there are folks who buy airplanes and then end up not using them for months or even a year or two on end.  Whether it be health reasons or work reasons that have them moving abroad for a while.  I see it on my field and I am sure we all do.  In such case it might make sense to keep the airplane flying and put it to work. rather tan leave it to rot.

There are several for sale. Why doesn't Mooney just buy one?

Ron

Probably short on cash. Otherwise, just buy a few, use them for the demos and then sell them when you're done as "factory certified" examples. Likely you get all the purchase price back.

I received the letter yesterday as well.  Tough to lease my airplane now when I've only got the next 10 hours to fly it!  Just found out that the tail section has to come off the airplane to comply with the latest Airworthiness Directive.  Suggest all TN model owners check into this ASAP.  It just came out last week and you only get 10 hours to comply.  

As for leasing, I'm going to call these guys and see what they have to say.   I'm not one to let anyone fly my airplane but who knows what they'd be willing to do in an effort to have aircraft to demonstrate.  Pretty tough to sell what you can't show.  Opportunity is knocking....

I received the letter yesterday as well.  Tough to lease my airplane now when I've only got the next 10 hours to fly it!  Just found out that the tail section has to come off the airplane to comply with the latest Airworthiness Directive.  Suggest all TN model owners check into this ASAP.  It just came out last week and you only get 10 hours to comply.

Yep, my plane goes in this week for the tail section remediation. Arapahoe Aero has already confirmed that it's affected.

As for leasing, I'm going to call these guys and see what they have to say. I'm not one to let anyone fly my airplane but who knows what they'd be willing to do in an effort to have aircraft to demonstrate. Pretty tough to sell what you can't show.

PM or email me and let me know what they say. My email address is jj at zzmail dot me.
  • Like 1

Aviatoreb,

You are not too far off point with your statement about already having a waiting list. We did rather well at OSHKOSH 2014. Policy restricts me from divulging the actual length of time to receive a NEW Mooney. That is up to our sales dept. and WAY above my pay grade.

Yep, my plane goes in this week for the tail section remediation. Arapahoe Aero has already confirmed that it's affected. PM or email me and let me know what they say. My email address is jj at zzmail dot me.

My main concern is that Mooney may not have replacement parts if indeed I need them. I called and they say they have them.... We shall see. I'll reach out to you once I've spoken to Mooney re leasing.

Here's one thing to consider. I don't know what avionics Joe has in his Acclaim, but it could be that they need a plane with the G1000/S-TEC 55x combo to use for certification testing so they can finally get this configuration WAAS certified. That would be very good news to many of us.