Interior Panel Refurbishment

Mike A

The interior plastic on my 231 needs to be rehabbed/replaced and reattached to the body.  I made an attempt to do some repair work, but it is not coming out at a quality that is acceptable.  Its time to take the plunge and have some professionals work on it.

Does anyone have interior shops that they have dealt with in the southeast that they would recommend?

The panels are falling apart.  This is a project where someone will have to come back in and refit the panels to the attachment points, so AeroComfort is probably out of the question.  I'll see what Hawk can do, as I could use some touch-up painting done as well.

Keep the suggestions coming though!

I pulled out all of the Royalite and replaced with Vantage Plane Plastic.  The Royalite was breaking off like potato chips.  I did not think that i wanted to overlay, re-cover, or repair the Royalite as it would only degrade further.

If you do the Vantage route, buy all the pieces and parts at one time to save on the shipping and the ABS will last forever...

I painted mine with SEM Paint, then covered with SEM Lacquer to give it a matte finish and protect the paint.

TMcD

1980 M20K

KHSV

• 2 months later...

Does anyone have recommendations for shops for upgrading/replacing the interior panels, carpets, redoing the seats (front seats in poor shape) in California? Also if the shop has experience in fixing small fuel leaks that would be an added bonus. I heard there is one shop in CA that messed up the paint while stripping the tanks, so let's not go there! Thanks.

Here's another enthusiastic endorsement for Hector at Aerocomfort. He redid my shabby interior, including covering the cracked and yellowed panels in ultra-leather or some such, four or five years ago or so, and it looks wonderful. The man worked miracles, and I still send a kind thought his way whenever I climb in the airplane.

Vantage Plane Plastics shows only the M20 C through J. Is the thought process that the J and K models are identical parts?

They are identical minus the panel next to the pilot which has spots for the oxygen system on the K.  If you click the J parts it will show you multiple options.  They will also confirm what you need if you call them.

Does anyone have recommendations for shops for upgrading/replacing the interior panels, carpets, redoing the seats (front seats in poor shape) in California? Also if the shop has experience in fixing small fuel leaks that would be an added bonus. I heard there is one shop in CA that messed up the paint while stripping the tanks, so let's not go there! Thanks.

You should check Buchanon Interiors over at KCCR (Concord). They redid my interior about 10 years ago and I am having them redo the two front seats now since that is where the majority of wear occurs

You should check Buchanon Interiors over at KCCR (Concord). They redid my interior about 10 years ago and I am having them redo the two front seats now since that is where the majority of wear occurs

Thanks for the positive comments on Buchanon. I did see their name online but wasn't sure if anybody here had worked with them. You live in Pleasanton? Small world :-)