Wichita?

FloridaMan

I may have to start commuting to Wichita from Florida for a few weeks. There are no direct flights. Airfare is around 600-700$ and the flights are 5-8 hours with a layover. I think I'd rather just fly myself. 

It being the rainy season, I might want to rent a hangar and I'll need to rent a car while I'm there. Any locals have suggestions?

Not sure where you are in FL, but from the Orlando area I did the trip in ~6 hours with a fuel stop in Starkville MS a few years back.  That included some T'storm dodging since I got there in the late afternoon.  I would fly my Mooney 10 times out of 10 vs. commercial for this trip!

There are two suitable airports "in town" with full services.  KAAO/Jabara is in the NE corner of town and my home base.  They might have transient hangar space but I doubt they have open monthly hangar space...call the FBO and ask.  Fuel is expensive.  There is a row of T-hangars without internal walls that might have a vacancy and be good enough for a decent rate.  The fully private hangars are full.

KICT (big airport) has a Signature and Yingling... Yingling at least offers SS fuel and full service as well.  I have no idea about hangar space.

Outside of town there is Augusta (3AU) well east of town, or Newton (EWK) well north of town.  Both will be cheaper, and might be able to arrange rental cars but I have no idea.

Hope that helps!  Holler when you get here.

Well you have plenty of options and your flight time will get you there in about the same time as the airlines depending on where you are leaving from with one fuel stop and there are plenty of choices once you get there.

I do not recall if you have you IR or not.  Sounds like a good mission for the Mooney. :)

I enjoyed it when I was flying between N.O. and Savannah once a month for about a year.

If no one from the area chimes in start calling the FBOs and see what they have to offer.

Good luck and fly safe.

EWK and 3AU also good choices (rental cars available) and probably better chance of finding hangar space. PM me and we can talk off-line. All depends on how long/often you'll be visiting the "Air Capital of the World". Happy to help. Plenty of airplane nuts around here!

Augusta is two miles from the farm on which I grew up. I used to ride horses down there all the time and watch planes. This was back in the heyday when Wichita truly was the Air Capitol of the World.  It's gotten a lot more developed in that area since I left but it's good to see that airport doing well. Sorry, I don't have much to add about facilities since I haven't lived there in decades, but this thread brought back some great memories. Good luck with your travels.