New Mooniac

cleatus99

N9201A, Guess I have to ask. What is the correct way to operate a Mooney off of grass? I'm not asking in a Disrespectful manner, I just want all the input possible. From time to time I have to take the turf for business Reasons.

There's some good input others have posted, especially about knowing the field before you go, keeping the yoke back all the way, watching your speeds carefully (something Mooneys encourage more than brands C and P anyway), and keeping the nosewheel light to maximize prop clearance.  Message me n9201a-at-yahoo.com and I would be happy to connect you with my friend based on a grass strip, although many turf flyers have posted some good wisdom already.  

Since others have broken the shameless promotion line, I would encourage you to get to think about the Mooney Caravan (www.mooneycaravan.com).  Although the Caravan's highlight is the annual flight into Oshkosh (featuring taxiing on grass to the North 40 camping area), Caravaners meet and fly together throughout the year all over North America.  The emphasis is on flying and enjoying Mooneys safely.  

I'm getting word I won't get to fly mine till it's out of the paint shop ~mid September :(

If you, or anyone on MS wants to USE a cool tail number when you're getting your plane painted let me know. I've had N17K reserved for a while, if for not other reason than it sounds cool to me, and two numbers with one letter is unique.

Free, of course, as long as you're not getting that gimmicky checkerboard tail. ;)

The only problem with a three digit tail number is having to repeat/explain it to ATC every time.  Every time I request flight following or file in flight, I'm asked for my "full N number".  Other than that, I love it.

Paul - "Mooney 6XM"

At one time I had Cherokee N68V, I'd make my initial call with November68Victor, approach would still say Cherokee use full call-sign and say your request...

Only thing is, I'd get bills from those weirdo airports in California trying to bill me landing fees, etc.

Furthest west I'd ever flown was Lubbock...

But if I hadn't already requested N86BF to be assigned, I'd take ya up on 17K

Only thing is, I'd get bills from those weirdo airports in California trying to bill me landing fees, etc.

That's got to be Santa Monica. (KSMO) Lots of politics and drama surrounding that airport. The corrupt city council there has been trying for decades to close the airport and redevelop it. The airport commission, the people in charge, is a sham. The commission is doing all it can to help the city council with it's desires to close the field. One of their strategies is to charge fees for everything, including landing fees to drive people away. They have cameras to record who lands and then sends the bill. I'm sure they use tower audio recordings too. (Class D) The city council wants the the airport, and all the businesses on it to fail. There are ongoing legal battles with the FAA, the AOPA is heavily involved and there is a strong and organized airport advocacy group fighting for their airport.

The vast majority of California airports are just like anywhere else, but unfortunately, historic Santa Monica has become that weirdo airport.

I like the 201 on the tail, me and the wife really like the mooney Texas paint scheme, red white blue, with the big star on the cowl, but my paint guy tells me it would limit the re-sale potential.... So as soon as I can figure out a paint scheme with a 201, checkered flag, red white and blue with a mooney bird painted on the bottom of the wings and fuselage.... The hard part will be over ;)..... I think we will end up settling on a ovation/acclaim style paint scheme....

Though I may have to try a wrap with the classic mooney thunderbird on the greasy side :)

• Like 1

I think we will end up settling on a ovation/acclaim style paint scheme....

Though I may have to try a wrap with the classic mooney thunderbird on the greasy side :)

No, please, not just another swoosh paint job. Stick to your 201, checkerboard guns. Think race car, not motor home. ;)

• Like 1

N9201A, Guess I have to ask. What is the correct way to operate a Mooney off of grass? I'm not asking in a Disrespectful manner, I just want all the input possible. From time to time I have to take the turf for business Reasons.

I don't know what is the correct way to operate a Mooney out of a grass strip... but here goes a video I shot taking off and landing on a grass strip. hope it helps...

• 2 months later...

Well, it's mid September and it'll be mid October before the Mooney is outta the paint booth.

In the mean time I finished my Gyrocopter :)

Trying to get 40 hrs flown off before the rides start, still tweaking and taking readings etc...

http://fairri.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/IMG_2592.jpg

http://fairri.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/IMG_2589.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Very impressed, except had to land in the very dark, as the landing light worked when I left FL, apparently the filament was afraid of Texas. So I bought a Whelen PAR46 LED light..... So I wouldn't have to that again. Also now the suction seems to have given up the ghost.... So I pickup a new RAP215CC Tommorow. Ahh the joys of airplane ownership. Now if I can figure out how to swap the light....

I put the Whelen PAR46 LED in my C, but it's in the cowl. Remove cowling and both cheeks, then drop the lower cowl to reach everything. But first remove the landing light cover on the front.

Everything you need to know should be in the Maint Manual. The one I have doesn't include J's . . .

Welcome to the joys of ownership! The same thing happened to me, landed at 2330 on a poorly lit, obstructed runway and taxied in holding my flashlight out the storm window. But it shouldn't happen again, ever.